Gamma/Brightness Issues

N

Nibblenlicks

This has been brought up before...but I havent seen any real answer to it. Is there any way to increase the gamma/brightness levels for HL2? I moved the slider for the brightness levels to the max and I still dont see any lines of text (actually starting to beleive there are none...they are just messing with my mind!). The brightness levels on my monitor are at 100% and Ive played with the levels for the monitor display...but as soon as I fire up HL2..it goes dark again. This is the only game Ive ever had this problem with...and at the moment...Im still at the beginning trying to find a stupid window to get out of!!! Heres my system stats:

Windows XP OS with all required updates
Celeron CPU 2.40GHz
512 mb RAM
Radeon 9250 AGP Video Card
370 W Power Supply

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure about the ATi drivers, but I know that with nVidia drivers you can set Brightness/Gamma for certain applications. Example: I made a color scheme for Doom 3, so that whenever Doom3.exe is launched, it uses that color profile. If ATi drivers have that, you should try it out.

Okay...tried to create a Direct3D Profile and a Full Screen 3D profile, but it dosnt seem to take at all. Weird thing is...as soon as Half-Life comes up...the gamma/brightness seem fine, but it only lasts for a second. Same thing happens when I quit the game, it flashes a proper gamma/brightness level and then shuts off. If anyone out there has a comparable vid card and has figured this out...a step by step instruction would be fantastic.

Thanks

Nibblenlicks said:
Okay...tried to create a Direct3D Profile and a Full Screen 3D profile, but it dosnt seem to take at all. Weird thing is...as soon as Half-Life comes up...the gamma/brightness seem fine, but it only lasts for a second. Same thing happens when I quit the game, it flashes a proper gamma/brightness level and then shuts off. If anyone out there has a comparable vid card and has figured this out...a step by step instruction would be fantastic.

Thanks

I have that same damn problem, too! I've tried both Catalyst drivers and Omega drivers, the brightness/gamma enhancing doesn't work in-game. :(

I'll do some digging for a 3rd party program that may help.

Im going to look for some 3rd party programs as well...at least until they can release a patch that will enhance the gamma/brightness issues that seem to be pretty common. In the meantime...Ive discovered that if you run the game in a window rather than full screen (theres not much difference, so long as you can ignore the blue bar at the top)...the game will adopt the gamma/brightness settings of your Desktop. Im actually making some headway in the game now...and so far...Im impressed with it.

I have the same problem and CAN'T STAND IT!!! Steam should definitely make a larger scaled gamma/brightness bar.

Back