Looking for an ancient game, maybe you know it

scribblehead

Reaction score
Ok did'nt know where else to turn - not many ppl know about this game....its really old, and i hardly remember what it was called....just got a sudden urge to play it and i can't seem to get it off my mind, weird :p

Ok so this is what i remember about the game..

its atleast 8 years old, its an amiga game - horror/adventure genre....think it was a sidescroller no less.

I can remember some of the graphics, was a very dark game - creeped me out at the time i played it (was like 13 years old :)).

So the only thing really can recall in some kind of detail was the opening lvl - you were this guy, who somehow ended up on an alien world....and getting chased by some scary looking 'totally' black alien thingy.

I know its not much - but sheesh thats the only things i remember.

If you guys can direct me to a forum or website that has more info on these old games i'd appreciate that too :cheers:

Hmm.. Not sure what it is, maybe Another World .. My brother will come to my house pretty soon, he and my other brother were huge AMIGA fantasts, they had a demoscene group and stuff.. I'll ask him

Yes exactly. It's Another World. Fantastic game if i do say so myself.

Is it anything like Out of this World for Sega and SNES?

Same game i think - dunno tho, only found a pic from the amiga version.

Oh found out, Out of this world was the non-pal version of the game - Another world was the pal version name...go figure :p

Yes, Another World=Out of this World.

One of the best games I've ever played to tell you the truth. For the life of me I can't get it to work on my computer though. It's one of those games that isn't compatible with DOSbox.

Another world (UK title) Out of this world (US)

There was also a sequel for the Sega MasterCD, not many knew about it, and personally I didn't like it all that much.

There is a version of AW on most of the systems back then, including a PC version, though the Amiga one was by far the best IMO.

It's on the underdogs site btw, i think they both are, though you'll need to hunt down the MasterCD emulator and WinUAE and a kickrom for WinUAE, which unless you own an Amiga to copy it from, or buy that CD with it in, you can't legally get.

Yeah i tried using Winfellow too (amiga emulator) - can't get it to work...

I wish it was as easy to use as Scummw or MaMe

Here are a few pics from the game...I forgot how cool this game was. Tells an awesome story even though there is not ONE word of dialogue in the game. Cool action, interesting puzzles. You even get to drive a huge battle tank in an alien arena battle. There was a sequel called "Heart of the Alien" for the Sega CD where you get to play as your alien buddy. That was a fun game too.

Lol yeah i remember that second pic, man that was just before u got chased by that farking alien....hehe scared the bajeezus out of me.

Btw i've got the amiga things and the kick rom - just can't seem to get the game to run....would be nice to know if someone here has any experience in using Winfellow or winUAE.

Hehe found out a nifty little peice of game history - it was the first game ever to feature roto-scoping animation.

scribblehead said:
Lol yeah i remember that second pic, man that was just before u got chased by that farking alien....hehe scared the bajeezus out of me.

Btw i've got the amiga things and the kick rom - just can't seem to get the game to run....would be nice to know if someone here has any experience in using Winfellow or winUAE.

Hehe found out a nifty little peice of game history - it was the first game ever to feature roto-scoping animation.
Works for me on WinUAE, you just need to change the settings to emulate a straight A500 with no fancy extra's, since it was a 1.3 game and had issue's running no things like A1200's

Also make sure you have the correct kickrom. Since you'll have problems emulating an Amiga with the incorrect kickrom version. Most games on the Amiga ran fine on A500's, only a few later ones required A1200 and/or to a lesser extent A4000's to run.

Most of the best ones ran on A500's though. Also get a HDD image setup and install a working workbench. You can setup a version of that for each config, though A500's being old and only having 512k of memory, extra Drives or HDD's running on it causes problems. And many A500 games would have issue's running even if you have more than 1mb installed. You can though get away with more on a A1200 config setup. I've got a workbench running on that, a couple of HDD images and the max amount of RAM. With a bit of fiddling around the sound can work well. Though the PC needs to be really fast to get almost perfect emulation.

It is possible though, just needs a lot of messing about. Remembering how the Amiga worked helps a lot though, brings back memories, awwww i miss mine now haha /me goes off to play his Amiga games

Oh yeah, that game rocked! I think Heart Of Darkness was very inspired by it

CrazyHarij said:
Oh yeah, that game rocked! I think Heart Of Darkness was very inspired by it
It was its sequel thats why

I didn't like it though, and it had a naff story to it that spoilt the "what happens now" feeling at the end of the first one. Heart of Darkness shouldn't have been made IMO. And I shouldn't have hunted it down and played it neither :(

He's about to die in the second pic (never walk slowly while you are near those little slug things!)

Sedako said:
He's about to die in the second pic (never walk slowly while you are near those little slug things!)
That should be never move fast near them, walk slow and just keep stamping and looking up, thats how I would do it, or end up getting scratched and dying.. damn slugs, you'd think the devs would have given you a salt shaker before being wisked off into another world....

Fenric said:

I didn't like it though, and it had a naff story to it that spoilt the "what happens now" feeling at the end of the first one. Heart of Darkness shouldn't have been made IMO. And I shouldn't have hunted it down and played it neither :(

No, "Heart of Darkness" was a different game with different characters. "Heart of the Alien" was the sequel to "Out of this World."

DarkStar said:
No, "Heart of Darkness" was a different game with different characters. "Heart of the Alien" was the sequel to "Out of this World."
my bad :)

was still crap though

hahaha,

thnx for the help fenric, got it to work - man i forgot how old this game is....but still oh so cool :D.

I miss 2d sidescrollers :p

hmmm some help please :p

Can't seem to choose anything here - any ideas?

For the record i've never owned an amiga, only a commodore - which i know is similar....but not quite like the amiga.

scribblehead said:
hmmm some help please :p

Can't seem to choose anything here - any ideas?

For the record i've never owned an amiga, only a commodore - which i know is similar....but not quite like the amiga.

That's the old copy protection. The game originally came with a wheel that you spun around. Hmm...most abandonware versions of the game come cracked so you just be able to push enter...

I don't know what to tell you.

No matter, got the snes version - works fine now, tho the screen is like the size of a stamp...rofl

scribblehead said:
No matter, got the snes version - works fine now, tho the screen is like the size of a stamp...rofl
The amiga abandonware one has been cracked, though one version hasn't. The one that has you just select four of those symbols twice. Doesn't matter which you select.

Fenric said:

Oh, it was? And yeah, the story and all sucked, it was sort of a Disney adventure kids movie..

CrazyHarij said:
Oh, it was? And yeah, the story and all sucked, it was sort of a Disney adventure kids movie..

No...actually it wasn't. Read...through...thread...

wow thnx lotusandy, that looks pretty interesting - hoping its abandonware so i can have a go at it :)

its available in rom form for the Sega Megadrive emulator, but remember, only download the roms if you own the original cartridge ;)

gotcha ;)

Well i'll have to search my oldies then....maybe i have the cartridge laying around.

I remember that! Another World- In fact I might go as far as saying that I saw a television advertisement for it, no joke, I was that obsessive... all I can really remember is shooting this big black beehive/chandelier cagey thing and crushing a guy below. I've seen Flashback, and played a little of it, but it didn't really feel quite right... hmmph.

what was the game they followed it up with?? Was a game where some guy wakes up on an alien world with amnesia and has to find out whats happened?

heh.... just remembered... Flashback! IMO that was a far superior game.

Back