New Hi Res pics of HL2

GhostValkyrie

Reaction score
Once again, my ******** friends come through for us!

These may be elsewhere, but I haven't seen anyone else link to thse pics. Enjoy! :D

EDIT: I hate this Keyboard. That's supposed to say Hi Res. ARG!

Hint: The threads keep getting deleted
Although, VE3D and shacknews have BOTH posted these
That said, I can't see why HL2.net is being so iffy about it.. unless they have their reasons

It's not like people are posting URLs to random websites with illegally scanned pics.. these are bigname sites

didn't you hear the news? you're not allowed to post any links to any website which may talk about games!! it's illegal!

Right thats it, if people continue to post these things I'll stop warning and just start handing out bans left right and center. I don't like it anymore than you guys do. I personally don't see the problem posting images on their own. their screenshots and thats all. but rules are rules and we all have to obey them if we want to post on here.

ghost, I expected it from others, but from an ex moderator such as yourself? Not good :(

Fenric said:
Right thats it, if people continue to post these things I'll stop warning and just start handing out bans left right and center. I don't like it anymore than you guys do. I personally don't see the problem posting images on their own. their screenshots and thats all. but rules are rules and we all have to obey them if we want to post on here.

ghost, I expected it from others, but from an ex moderator such as yourself? Not good :(

Can you explain to us why you can't link to the big name sites that have the information freely posted? HOW could HL2.net take heat for a site such as shacknews?

Shuzer said:
Can you explain to us why you can't link to the big name sites that have the information freely posted? HOW could HL2.net take heat for a site such as shacknews?

because linking to ve3d.com or shacknews.com is illegal!!! its freaking illegal!!!

those evil evil million dollar(ok maybe not shacknews) sites posting evil things!!!

OMG.

You so didn't just come down on me like a disappointed mom.

Dude, I rarely come to this section of the forums. I had no idea, K?
If I would have known, I most certainly would not have posted them.

You think I want to use my time by posting threads that will get closed, deleted, or cause me to get banned?

Good to see you Xtasy0. I haven't talked with you for a long time. :thumbs:

Xtasy0 said:
because linking to ve3d.com or shacknews.com is illegal!!! its freaking illegal!!!

those evil evil million dollar(ok maybe not shacknews) sites posting evil things!!!

:LOL:
Yeah, really. I think HL2.net is blurring the line between "official" screenshots and scanned shots

I don't see how OFFICIAL ingame shots from a trip to VALVe from a magazine (no matter the magazine) posted on the web could be violating copyright.. it's not like PC Zone (for example) have rights to HL2

I'd just like a clarafication here, if possible.. not that I care, I've seen the media. But, it all seems a little odd. Explain it to us commoners :)

I beg to differ, these screens are from official game sites. They were merely copied off and linked from "THAT site", and they are not from the leaks. Neither are they scans.
I see nothing wrong until at least tomorrow when the official NDA lifts, HL2G will allow them tomorrow.

The moderators are probably confused, or possibly Munro is. Who knows.

Shuzer said:
:LOL:
Yeah, really. I think HL2.net is blurring the line between "official" screenshots and scanned shots

I don't see how OFFICIAL ingame shots from a trip to VALVe from a magazine (no matter the magazine) posted on the web could be violating copyright.. it's not like PC Zone (for example) have rights to HL2

I'd just like a clarafication here, if possible.. not that I care, I've seen the media. But, it all seems a little odd. Explain it to us commoners :)

you won't get calrification, the mods simply repeat "the rules" over and over, they don't agree with them or have any logical explanation, they just follow "the rules"

HEIL MEIN FUHRER!!

Look, I don't even agree with it. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a proper reason why we're not allowed to show the images, so far I'm hearing people talking about NDA's and copyrights and contracts and other crap and frankly it all sounds a lot like nobody really knows what their talking about. Legally AFAIK there's nothing wrong with the images being posted, the magazines sure as hell don't own them and unless Valve give official word to it, then well I'll be buggered if I know

But the fact remains that the rules on this site state you CANNOT post images or links to images or links to sites with images. As staff its upto us to uphold those rules. if we agree with them or not

Sorry n all that but rules ARE rules. And while I don't particularly agree with this one, I will still continue to close threads, issue warnings, and if it gets out of hand bans.

If you have a problem with the rules, I suggest you PM or email Munro, its his site, his rules, his choice, and ultimately only he knows why we can't apparantly.

as always, better to be safe than sorry.
besides those big name sites only refer you to the site hosting the pics, not the legality of it.... and the site which hosts those pics is known for dubious doings.

I think thats why we tend to be stricter.
Im sure none of us want HL2.net taking any unwanted heat, especially over something so small.

We don't know the status of those pics. Halflife.de claims they are legit, but it's not clear what they are, and it's not like halflife.de has high standards or anything. Nor is it like Shacknews and ve3 are all that careful about what they post: they just copy things from each other and emails without checking to see if what they are doing is legit.

I certinaly would like some explanation of them, because they actually look not so great. Are these Dx7 or 8 shots? Some of the textures are very low detail, and there's no AA on any of them which looks pretty bad.

Again, aren't you confusing magazine scans with ingame shots? :|
Oh well, you guys are doing your job.. that's fine with me, if I was staff, I'd be in the same position and do the same thing you guys are doing.

Anyhow, I agree. Alot of these new shots are baffling, what the hell? The game looks worse in 75% of the shots than it did last year =(

Im sorry i just cant see that lol, i just find all the shots pretty cool.

@Shuzer + Apos
yeah I was thinking the same :/

but the mantra I want to try and adhere to now is,..
"Wait for E3" when we can see what it is supposed to look like etc....

This is ridiculous, why are these threads being closed? The screens clearly aren't from the beta, and they are not scans either.

Yeah true, i liked to see some screenshots with full detail on for once, like in the Source video. But still its new media :D its ****ing awesome

Ingame shots can also be under NDA and leaked from somewhere, that's the problem. Heck, those could all be beta shots for all I know. Slapping on a disclaimer "these aren't from the beta" doesn't exactly impress me coming from some random site that could be clueless.

Those screens could've easily been from the beta, and probably were because of the lack of AA.

Sparta said:
Yeah true, i liked to see some screenshots with full detail on for once, like in the Source video. But still its new media :D its ****ing awesome

I seriously hope those shots aren't at full detail

manny_c44 said:
Those screens could've easily been from the beta, and probably were because of the lack of AA.

The stolen build doesn't look quite so polished, sadly. The first shot was featured in EGM a few months back, and then there's the helicopter/graveyard shots which are NOT in the stolen build (even featured in those magazines..).

These can't be stolen build shots, they appear to be the latest screens..

PM sent to munro:

Xtasy0 said:
why is it that i can't link to www.shacknews.com or ve3d.ign.com ? is this some new rule about banning gaming website addresses?

two of my posts were deleted and they simply had links to the two sites i mentioned, when i asked the mod he couldnt explain why, he didnt even agree with the rule, but said he was simply doing his job and enforcing the rule.

i think maybe the moderators should understand the rules, and why the rules are in place. if they understand them they will be less likely to misinterpret them, and also they won't look like such assholes when they can only reply "i dunno man im just enforcing the rules".

do you see what im saying? maybe a nice little staff meeting with some explanation of the rules would be a good thing.

hopefully he can clear this up.

Apos said:
Ingame shots can also be under NDA and leaked from somewhere, that's the problem. Heck, those could all be beta shots for all I know. Slapping on a disclaimer "these aren't from the beta" doesn't exactly impress me coming from some random site that could be clueless.

yep the magazine shots were much more impressive than these "new Ingame non-Leak" ones :/

Shuzer said:
Again, aren't you confusing magazine scans with ingame shots? :|
Oh well, you guys are doing your job.. that's fine with me, if I was staff, I'd be in the same position and do the same thing you guys are doing.

Anyhow, I agree. Alot of these new shots are baffling, what the hell? The game looks worse in 75% of the shots than it did last year =(
No. Munro knew about those images (not the screenshots) apparantly before any of you. Atleast from what I can tell. Past that I haven't a fecking clue lol.

Any of you who've been around a while know that I've always said you can post images, and scans of images from magazines, but not full pages and/or text, though you could quote small passages from it. AFAIK thats completely above board. And your just going to have to wait a few more hours until Munro turns up and explains the reasons why.

I know it sucks, but thats the way it is, who knows. Perhaps Munro knows something we don't? Maybe Valve have asked him specifically not to link the images just yet. I honestly don't know, I haven't seen any real message about the reasons why. So Shuzer and the rest, I'm sorry but thats just how it is right now. I'm honestly as in the dark as you are. If I don't do my job, I'll end up a user again and what good will that do, the rest of the staff will continue and your scans and images will still keep getting removed. Atleast you know I don't like it anymore than you do, but if I didn't obey the rules, I'd not be staff now would I :)

As for Xtasy0's comment, comparing us to Nazi's. That in itself Xtasy0 is a bannable offence. You have NO right to post like that here, if you don't like the rules, **** off somewhere else because an attitude like that is not welcome. If you have a problem with staff upholding the rules of the site then go complain to the Admins lol, I'm sure they'll be super quick to act on the staff DOING THEIR JOB! dumbass

Shuzer said:
I seriously hope those shots aren't at full detail

The stolen build doesn't look quite so polished, sadly. The first shot was featured in EGM a few months back, and then there's the helicopter/graveyard shots which are NOT in the stolen build (even featured in those magazines..).

I doubt they're full detail, i mean, watch the tunnel video, that video looks as though it shows the most detail of any of the other videos with gameplay, and that still looks VERY very nice. Not to mention the Source PDF thing that came out a week or two ago, that was awesome. I doubt they're full detail. Maybe Valve are just showing normal detial shots because they know (like pretty much everyone else) that people will get excited about it because a) Its Half-Life 2 b) Its new media after something like 9 months with just 3 screenshots from video's we've already seen.

Its not full detail.

Sparta said:
I doubt they're full detail, i mean, watch the tunnel video, that video looks as though it shows the most detail of any of the other videos with gameplay, and that still looks VERY very nice. Not to mention the Source PDF thing that came out a week or two ago, that was awesome. I doubt they're full detail. Maybe Valve are just showing normal detial shots because they know (like pretty much everyone else) that people will get excited about it because a) Its Half-Life 2 b) Its new media after something like 9 months with just 3 screenshots from video's we've already seen.

Its not full detail.
They definately look like their set at the lowest detail setting, as in the absolute worst anyone can expect, no AA, no fancy shaders, no HDR. They look pretty impressive in that case. And I do hope to god they really are the lowest visual settings, otherwise all that time Valve claim to have spent improving the game is gonna sound pretty bloody stupid :(

Shuzer said:

Yeah, I actually didn't even see them all yet. They look pretty schloppy.

In the shot with the combine walking through the prison map, what's up with the (antlion?) blood decals on the floor.. I thought that type of stuff was purely placeholder material? It looks really.. old

I hope atleast discussing these screens isn't taboo

Anyway, the only one that appears to be in high detail is the shot with the metrocop looking over the water firing.. the water looks like it has the proper reflections, and the draw distance seems higher.. plus, the buildings in the distance are higher geometry than the ones we're used to seeing

Ive seen HL2 screenshots (beta or not) with very very good anti-aliasing going, and also a few with rudimentry HDR and DX9 effects active, when u look at the same shots without these features you get what your seeing in these screenshots here, I shouldnt worry to much, the majority wont be able to play on full detail straight away anyhow, maybe valve is trying to show the standard for most people, or maybe there just old screens from the valve archive.

Either way the infomation is good, and the art content of the screenshots is of a very high quality, cant wait to see some moving stuff at E3.

Ha.

Watch as Valve plays the same footage from E3 2003.
That would be sucky, but hilarious.

You have to start wondering about the DX9 effects and HDR in HL2. HL2 is slated to be released during the summer, but the screenshots show a complete abscence of detail. Last time I checked, most game companies put out the best looking screenshots/movies to hype up their game.

GhostValkyrie said:
Ha.

Watch as Valve plays the same footage from E3 2003.
That would be sucky, but hilarious.

Heads would roll, lol

blahblahblah said:
You have to start wondering about the DX9 effects and HDR in HL2. HL2 is slated to be released during the summer, but the screenshots show a complete abscence of detail. Last time I checked, most game companies put out the best looking screenshots/movies to hype up their game.

Yeah, everything is REALLY weird right now.. ever since I saw those "PC Action" screens, I've been pretty skeptical about HL2's overall progress/graphics

Like others have said, E3 will reveal all (hopefully), and it's less than 2 weeks away

Like i said earlier though, Its HL2. thats all they need to say to hype it

The pics looks like shit.

And why are everyone going apeshit? Let them have their rules and their "jobs" and just check out the pics at the other dozen sites that have them up by now.

Shuzer said:
Heads would roll, lol

Even better would be if Gabe explained the functions and gameplay exactly the same as before. :)

Even in sync with the videos. :D

could you imagine the expression on gabes face, when hes just realized the screens from the next e3 is already out.

wbcheater said:
could you imagine the face on gabes face, when hes just realized the screens from the next e3 is already out.

Or if someone leaked the real-time video from E3 2004.
Ha! It would be classic!

Back