Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Review

EvolvedPie

Community Writer / The Fake Pie
Reaction score
[box=left]
Tec.jpg
The Tec and their Titans
[/box]
I love RTS’s and I love space and I really, really love sexy space ships. So this erotic strategy game instantly appealed to me. I naturally spent most of my time playing as the TEC because I like to pretend I’m Admiral Adama, for obvious reasons, and I really like the look of the ‘human’ space ships. But I do love the look of the Vasari’s Titan so I have been playing as then quite a bit as well. This is quite possibly the second greatest RTS I have played. It is complex enough that I feel like it’s worth learning, but also easy enough (when playing an easy enemy) to just jump into a game. One draw back is ‘a game’ will normally be several hours. Having said this playing it with friends over a number of days, or even weeks, is great fun. I like having multiple solar systems to conquer as it just takes such a long time.

[box=right]
Vasar.jpg
The Vasar and their Titans
[/box]
Now, Sins of a Solar Empire is a huge game, I mean that not in it’s marketing but in the scale of the maps you can play and this seems to be a good time to review it as the latest expansion pack Rebellion has just been released. Available now on Steam. This is a wonderful chance to start playing the game if you haven’t before as Rebellion comes with all the previous expansions packs. If you already own Trinity or Sins of a Solar Empire, Entrenchment and Diplomacy don’t worry… Just think of it as a very expensive expansion pack, but you can get a $10 discount if you logon, but then you can’t buy it on Steam.

[box=left]
Advent.jpg
The Advent and their Titans
[/box]
The original game was pretty big. You start with a singular planet under your control and then have to conquer the galaxy. Space battles on a large scale. Frigates, Cruisers and Capital ships are available in the original game; the tec tree, which is rather extensive combined with the three different fractions, makes for quite an exciting game. The three fractions are fairly typical, the human race (TEC), the alien sympathisers who naturally appear more advanced and follow some new higher form of power (Advent), and of course the aliens themselves (Vasari). Entrenchment added a few extras to the tec tree and, one of my favorite things, the Star Base; a new defensive structure you can build around your planets and, more importantly, a star, meaning that you are now able to defend the only route in and out of your solar system. Diplomacy added a very interesting thing that I was never very good at, the ability to win via diplomacy which means that making allies and enemies more complexes but also, in a sense, easier as they are more likely to set you missions. In Diplomacy you also gained the ability to give the pirates missions. I’ll get on to the pirates now:

[box=right]
Parites.jpg
The pirates are here
[/box]
The pirates have been a feature since the game was first released but, along with the other AI’s, have been updated within the later versions. They own a single base within in star system and attack who ever has the highest bounty on their head. You can increase the bounty on an enemy so the pirates attack them instead of you, which is recommend in my experience as they seem very powerful and not the sort of force you want to take on to begin with. The ability to give them missions is very useful, so naturally you need to research this advantage first, and have the spare gold kicking around to increase bounty's.

[box=left]
Desprate battle.jpg
A battle I knew I was going to fail in
[/box]
But what is new about rebellion? If this game is already so complete what could possibly be added? I hear you cry. Well it splits all the current faction into two, the loyalists and the rebels, each has slightly altered ships, both in the gameplay and cosmetically, meaning that there are more forces to play as and try and generally experiment with until you find a force that suits your gaming style the best. But that’s not all ladies and gentlemen, no it is not, they have also added the Titan. Now aside from improvement to the Capital ships so that they can go up to higher levels a new level of ship has been added; the Titan is the largest ship in the game, at least four times the size of the largest Capital ship, and contains the same amount of fire power. Finally there is an easier way to match and take down the Star Base. You can only have one Titan in your force but that’s more than enough to add a backbone to you army. But don’t become complacent, they are still perfectly possible to take down with a force of Capital ships and Cruisers and it CAN NOT take on Stare base by it’s self if your opponent has any commence sense.

[box=right]
Scale.jpg
An attempt to show scale
[/box]
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is certainly the most complete game yet, although I dare say that is something which I will think with every expansion pack that come out. It just keeps getting better. If you are going to buy a copy of Sins it might as well be Rebellion as it does contain everything, as I mentioned before, and it is defiantly worth a go, if you have already bought it, then it is a bit of a bugger, but there will probably be a cheaper way of buying it eventually. So to conclude in a single line; amazing game but may take a couple of days to play a game.

Back