Tired of Alyx, hopefully she dies

ramsfan

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
After playing through the half-life 2 series I realized I am very sick and tired of co-op with Alyx. She is constantly telling me what to do while she just sits there and does nothing.

Eli:Dont go to ravenholm.
Alyx:Gordon go through ravenholm, dog find another way around.
Me:Why can't I just follow the dog thing???!?!?!? He just said don't go there!

Or the constant, Why don't you go do this or go do that and I'll wait here. When she first got stabbed by the hunter it was sad, but almost enjoyable at the same time. When the vortigaunts talked about saving her, I asked myself why we can't just let her die. Even when you were co-oping with the vortigaunt in ep2, I found myself at times not seeing the point in fighting and just watching the vortigaunt. Its not like he was gunna die.

I am hoping she dies in Half-life 3, she needs to join the rest of her family. Anyone else share these same feelings?

Man, I like you. It's not like i want her dead, just some time without her, like a whole game or so. I liked more when you were alone, like in hl1 or hl2, before ep1. You meet people, but they don't stay with you to stress you out.

I don't think we'll be spending any time with her in the next instalment anyway, she'll probably go off on her own on a rage induced revenge trip, taking the helicopter, Gordon will have to find other means of reaching the Borealis, maybe teaming up with Barney or even d0g (d0g seems to have a sixth sense on locating Alyx and isn't affected by Advisors) for some period of time.

So, you want just to sit and watch everybody else fighting? And I thought HL was supposed to be a game. A game with a story, which you should follow even if you don't know what to do next. For that, you need other characters yelling at you.

no, the point is you don't have to fight. It makes your role meaningless.

I'm with Tiger. I wouldn't exactly want to kill her, just knock her unconscious again so I can romp around on my own for a bit. The game feels a lot less atmospheric with her around telling how to do everything.

I don't think Alyx is that bad, you should try to deal with Rico in Killzone 2. Now *THAT* super prick will make you want to risk court-marshal and just shoot his ass. But perhaps it would be a good idea to take a break from her once in awhile and have you break away from her at some parts of the game. But as far as FPS sidekicks go, I actually like her. But I am hoping that Valve fixes her pathfinding a bit in Episode 3.

Oh and Zhurgoul, I couldn't have said it better myself though I am not so sure about a 'romantic' relationship with Gordon. I've always been under the impression that Alyx sees Gordon more of as an older brother and good friend.

I certainly don't mind Alyx but I would really like to spend more time with Dr.Mossman or Barney...

Yeah, nothing would be better than seeing Barney kick some CP ass and yelling at them "I used to be one of yours!".
I hope they develop him a nice personality in the upcoming installment.. maybe as a side kick replacement.

I hope her and Gordon eventually "get it on" like Eli Vance would have wanted

Alyx MADE Half Life 2 the game it is. No video game character, even up till now, has been able to exhibit even half of the detail of Alyx's facial expression.

Alyx's character revolutionized AI companions. It's not about a companion who just follows and comments on the environment once in a while, it's about a companion who interacts with the player as much as possible.

Games have been trying to mold into this model. You could see how much effort developers put into making AI companions more engaging (Bioware is a good example), and so far these games have had a significant boost in ratings as a result of engaging companions.

That being said, Sh*t will go down if they kill Alyx. Alyx has been the anchor and symbol of the HL franchise. Heck, every harsh critic I could think of would always bring up Alyx as a strong reason for playing HL 2. I doubt Valve will dare to kill her off, at least not without thinking about a good replacement for her in future games.

Alyx, and the other characters in HL, are what separates the HL series from every other run'n'gun game.

To remove Alyx would, in effect, kill Half Life for me. Her character is the reason I played through HL2/Ep1/Ep2 more than once. The reason I wait for Ep3 is to see how her character develops and how her relationship with Gordon changes.

Alyx should not die. She's a great character to have around.

That said, I'd like to see Ep3 to bring is a more solitary experience like the first game. I think it would only be appropriate to wrap the current arc in such a way.

I think I'd be more receptive to Alyx if she chastised my appalling driving from time to time. Honestly, it's not that funny driving into a tree at that speed. It's not that awesome either.

I like the interaction of Alxy and do think they hint at romanticism; but I don't expect to see romance in the game.

What I hated was having the squad following me, literally getting in my way everytime I turned around. I would tell them to stay here, they say yes boss, then 10 seconds later they are in my way again.

The only times I get irritated at Alxy is when she says something like "Follow me", and stops fifteen steps away and I'm supposed to know where we were going, lol.

Alyx will not be going anywhere. Ep2 really sort of drove that point home.

I don't think Alyx is that bad, you should try to deal with Rico in Killzone 2. Now *THAT* super prick will make you want to risk court-marshal and just shoot his ass. But perhaps it would be a good idea to take a break from her once in awhile and have you break away from her at some parts of the game. But as far as FPS sidekicks go, I actually like her. But I am hoping that Valve fixes her pathfinding a bit in Episode 3.

Oh and Zhurgoul, I couldn't have said it better myself though I am not so sure about a 'romantic' relationship with Gordon. I've always been under the impression that Alyx sees Gordon more of as an older brother and good friend.

No way. She wants him fierce. "I'll keep a lookout while you poke around inside" I think we all know what that really meant. :naughty:

Alyx is awesome, and the Half Life 2 episodes would not have been nearly as awesome without her. When the hunter injured her, it actually made the conflict with that particular enemy very personal for not only Freeman, but for the player behind the wheel. For me, at least. When a character seems real enough for you to get angry at the enemy that hurts them, they're a good character. She also opened up alot of doors, and is a badass with a sniper rifle.

Also: Alyx > all other female game characters.

I like the interaction of Alxy and do think they hint at romanticism; but I don't expect to see romance in the game.

What I hated was having the squad following me, literally getting in my way everytime I turned around. I would tell them to stay here, they say yes boss, then 10 seconds later they are in my way again.

The only times I get irritated at Alxy is when she says something like "Follow me", and stops fifteen steps away and I'm supposed to know where we were going, lol.
Yes, I had to restrain myself from trying to kill them as well. The only problem I ever had with Alyx was during the final chapter of ep2 I had to push her towards the doors of the base to get her to open them.

Alyx is certainly one of the best developed characters I think, and together with Eli and Dr. Kleiner, Mossman and all the others this story gets so much detail and life! And I think too, this has potential for a damn good movie, more than Lara Croft or the Prince of Persia ever had, for example. In case Alyx would die, I think, the HL story dies (at least a big part) too.

Instead of Alyx let the so called G-Man disappear, I never liked guys popping in with a tie and attache case (stopping time now and then) speaking in miracles. To me he is the weakest point of the HL Saga.

Instead of Alyx let the so called G-Man disappear, I never liked guys popping in with a tie and attache case (stopping time now and then) speaking in miracles. To me he is the weakest point of the HL Saga.

Would you want Half-Lives 1 and 2 without G-Man? I like him - a man behind the scenes, pulling strings and influencing people to meet his increasingly personal motives. I think a lot can be done with him in Episode 3 and onwards.

Would you want Half-Lives 1 and 2 without G-Man? I like him - a man behind the scenes, pulling strings and influencing people to meet his increasingly personal motives. I think a lot can be done with him in Episode 3 and onwards.

I think you are right, about him behind the scenes pulling some strings. It is just me, seeing barney and alyx and eli and all normal beings hopping around doing something ... useful. And I'm more attached to such characters, that might be the reason. HL is just way too cool and may the G-Man pulling some more strings in the future, I'm fine with that too.

Alyx.jpg

her life was fused with Gordon's so it looks like if she will die, he will die too.

I don't hate her but she is really anoying. Always telling Gordon to do hard things and just watching. Well she helped a little in Episode one but still I don't see the reason why she was so important to live. Gman could have simply left her at black mesa when it exploded.

I'm sorry, but did somebody just say Half-Life should get rid of the G-Man?

How many testicles would you like to leave this topic with, sir?

Alyx doesn't necessarily need to die to make the game better. There's really no point in killing someone off because people think that character is a nuisance. Just take her out of some of the sequences of the game, like in Half-Life 2. In Nova Prospekt, while you're out on a rescue mission, she stays at the controls while you travel by yourself. This could work the same way in Episode Three.

But I, for one, think she's a nice companion that adds humor and depth to the game. Yes, sometimes she can become monotonous and somewhat annoying, but she is a well-developed character, and I am curious on what her fate will be in Episode Three.

Dear god, how big are her eyebrows in that pic?!

I too would like some time away from Alyx. It's not her, it's me. I just feel that we should play with other NPC's etc.

--- Just take her out of some of the sequences of the game, like in Half-Life 2. In Nova Prospekt, while you're out on a rescue mission, she stays at the controls while you travel by yourself. This could work the same way in Episode Three.

Dito, like in HL2, enough time and space between the meetings or the scripted storytelling. It's still my fave, the Episodes were nice, yet too short and quite a bit too much of Alyx. However it will turn out, the next installment (or episode) isnt even announced, so I watch out for some other stuff.

It wouldn't be that hard for Valve to incorporate a branching logic tree for her character, would it? Let the player decide: Do I want Alyx to help me out this level, or do I want her to remain in an advisory capacity, or do I just want her to leave me alone?

Maybe it has something to do with the difficulty/pacing of the game that the designers don't want to "waste time" making the storyline dependent on her level of player-chosen interactivity. I imagine every little "simple" change they make at one point will have major "unforeseen consequences" down the road, but I still think it would be relatively doable to have Alyx in the game as much as the player decides. Just look what Valve has done so far—they can do anything—so that shouldn't be too difficult.

Now, with that said, I don't want Alyx to have any diminished capacity in the next Episode, whatsoever. She's THE best sidekick in any game, period. She has made HL2 the game it is: THE best game ever. One of the few that I want to play over and over again. That says a lot for game design. Valve knows what they're doing—I hope they continue to do so. Rock on, Valve. My rocket launcher is ready for the next ginormous boss creature you decide to throw at me (the strider battle near the end of Ep.2 was teeth-grindingly hard, but oh-so rewarding).

I personally don't want menus coming up all the time asking me what I wan't to do. That would be detrimental to the immersion.

I just want to run around without being bossed about by some giant eyebrowed berk.

She's all "go the dangerous way" and "dog, find a better safer way so you don't have to go through the scary bit".

**** you Alyx.

I'm afraid I have to admit, i've tried on more than one occasion to pull the trigger whilst aiming at Alyx.

I personally don't want menus coming up all the time asking me what I wan't to do. That would be detrimental to the immersion.

I always thought it'd be cool to be able to communicate by nodding and shaking. You know, since he can't speak or anything. Just a thought.

I always thought it'd be cool to be able to communicate by nodding and shaking. You know, since he can't speak or anything. Just a thought.

That might be ok, kind of like the voice commands for TF only he just nods or shakes his head.

Also, being able to give the combine the middle finger...

Without Alyx, Gordon wouldn't seem as great.

Back