Alan Wake on GOG

It's a fantastic game. Just buy it if you haven't already now that you can get it that cheap and DRM-free.

Thanks for the heads up, most likely grabbing this one.

been watching twin peaks recently so i've a real craving to have another go at alan wake. i got about 3 chapters in and stopped - not out of boredom, i think i was busy with another game at the time - but i was never really hooked. once i've finished twin peaks i'll be desperate to revisit a familiar setting, so yeah.

been watching twin peaks recently so i've a real craving to have another go at alan wake. i got about 3 chapters in and stopped - not out of boredom, i think i was busy with another game at the time - but i was never really hooked. once i've finished twin peaks i'll be desperate to revisit a familiar setting, so yeah.

I stopped around Episode 3 too, no idea why. But when I continued playing after a week or two I had to play through the rest in like three days. Especially the story gets a lot better. The beginning of Episode 4 is just fantastic.

Yeah, I also stopped playing after the first episode. I'll have to give it another shot, maybe do an episode every night.

I am still playing it. The thing is that its really easy to stop, because the episodes truely are episodes, with endings, and "last time on..." introductions to new episodes. Its really easy to drop for awhile and then pick it up again. I'll probably play the next episode tonight, I think I'm on episode 5 or 6 now, so I might be finishing it.

might be quite an interesting experience to play each episode on a weekly basis as if it were a tv show, if you have the discipline to at least. might try it.

^^ That's what I wanted to do at first, but then I just forgot about it, and played other stuff.

I picked it up from GOG.com earlier, having decided I like Remedy a lot after I finally got around to playing the Max Paynes. Just polished off the first chapter.

Despite not having a suitable couch to play this on, I'm enjoying it so far. Really impressed by how good it looks for something that's essentially a port of a 2 year old console game. The combat is a little unwieldy although that could be because I'm instinctively trying to play it like Max Payne. I really dig the obvious influences though, since the setting is Twin Peaks through and through, plus the plot seems like Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness sprinkled with Herbert's The Dark and a smattering of Stephen King.

I'm probably more intrigued than inspired by it at this stage, but I feel like it has the potential to really grab me so here's hoping.

I think the best way to play it is one episode a night even though the lengths vary a lot. I'm still thinking about playing the DLC episodes. I heard they are kinda fuzzy, and the ending of the main game really explains it. I don't think the story can really progress from the point where it was left.

Despite not having a suitable couch to play this on, I'm enjoying it so far.
There's actually a QR code that says "Huh. Turns out this isn't too bad even if you're not sitting on a couch when you play it. Who knew!" in the game.

I also love the effort the developers put into the game, especially the TV shows like this one (no spoilers). My mind was blown when I realized that Alan Wake is Ilkka Villi, better known as the Sonera guy in Finland. I watched an interesting Finnish interview in which he told about the problems of motion capturing movement and facial expressions separately and matching them to the actual voice actor's speech.

Edit: And if you haven't noticed, American Nightmare is indeed coming to PC as well. Available for pre-order from Steam, but no release date yet.

i saw some promo stuff for american nightmare and i saw what looked like a really deformed/oddly proportioned mutant looking guy as an enemy, does the original game go in that direction? looked really cheesy, i'm quite enjoying the demented townfolk if i'm honest, or the terrifying things that are implied but not seen.

i saw some promo stuff for american nightmare and i saw what looked like a really deformed/oddly proportioned mutant looking guy as an enemy, does the original game go in that direction? looked really cheesy, i'm quite enjoying the demented townfolk if i'm honest, or the terrifying things that are implied but not seen.

While Alan Wake is a psychological horror/thriller game made into a TV show format, American Nightmare is a pure arcade shooter. There's multipliers and everything. So I think Remedy made the game a bit less serious to make it more fun. Hell, I don't even think it's canon with Alan Wake's story at all.

Edit: And if you haven't noticed, American Nightmare is indeed coming to PC as well. Available for pre-order from Steam, but no release date yet.

May 22nd, it's also up on GoG with the same pre-order dealy. I never played Alan Wake until it's PC release and it's become one of my favourite games. Easily worth the price it is now.

Back