Another very nice game

Anwar

Reaction score
I saw this in another HL forum. It's a game called stalker. It looks incredible. Figured I would share it with you guys that may not have know about it like me.

http://www.stalker-game.com/

We had several threads about this but the guys over at general forums like to talk about things over and over again :)

I read this forum every day I have only seen people try to compare halo and doom3 to hl... never even heard of stalker before. I dont wish to compare I am just a gamming enthusiast, and I like to see all games progress.

EDIT:
And I dont spam I have been a member longer then you and I have a fraction of the number of post you have. Check my profile .7 posts per day avrage. Getting a large post # is not important to me. I just wanted to share what I saw because I found it intresting.

Why are people getting excited about this game. What have they made before? How do we now it isn't going to suck? Why do people even mention it in the same breath as HL2?

Originally posted by Anwar
I read this forum every day I have only seen people try to compare halo and doom3 to hl... never even heard of stalker before. I dont wish to compare I am just a gamming enthusiast, and I like to see all games progress.

EDIT:
And I dont spam I have been a member longer then you and I have a fraction of the number of post you have. Check my profile .7 posts per day avrage. Getting a large post # is not important to me. I just wanted to share what I saw because I found it intresting.

hey, i'm not calling you a spammer or anything, just other people can over-react and go flaming mad, litrally

why is hl2 the only game you can consider having a chance to be good?

between the Thread Police and the Spammers its impossible to say anything here...

it has nice graphics can you just enjoy looking at them and if you dont want to why take the time to post?

Stop talking about games that isnt HL2.. im only her becous to talk about HL2. I dont give a shit about stalker and doom 3, only if you compareHl with some other game..

nice looking game, even though i think Far Cry looks like the most amazing out of Halo2, HL2, Doom3, Stalker and Far Cry ... it's just so damn amazing... dont know anything about the gameplaay though..but it should have some excellent modding possiblities :)

Edit: Think: do you own theese boards? NO!
go away

Originally posted by Dagobert
Why are people getting excited about this game. What have they made before? How do we now it isn't going to suck? Why do people even mention it in the same breath as HL2?

Valve was a relatively unkown company with no major hits before the made Half-Life, so you never know...

I dont own this forum, i know that. but when it´s a HL forum dosent mean that you should talk about everything between heaven and hell(Swedish proverb). only things that contains HL in some way, maybe just a little!

Valve was a relatively unkown company with no major hits before the made Half-Life, so you never know...
So should we expect every game from an unknown dev to be as good as HL? or should we look at the statistics and expect unknown games from unknown devs to mostly be poor?

So should we expect every game from an unknown dev to be as good as HL? or should we look at the statistics and expect unknown games from unknown devs to mostly be poor?

yea maybe. but i dont think that im going to expect that.

HL2 - Doom3 - Far Cry - Stalker - Deus Ex2, all look like they gonna be good games. I cannot compare these games yet, as I haven't played them, but I would be missing out if I only bought one of these games.

John "I only eat toffee as chocolate looks like brown shite"
Mark "Have you ever tried chocolate?"
John "No, but look at it! It looks shite, toffee is far better"
Mark "Hmm well I've tried both"
John "Toffee is best isn't it?"
Mark "Err well its hard to compare, they are both different"
John "Ah thought so.... toffee better"

Originally posted by Nostradamus
nice looking game, even though i think Far Cry looks like the most amazing out of Halo2, HL2, Doom3, Stalker and Far Cry ... it's just so damn amazing... dont know anything about the gameplaay though..but it should have some excellent modding possiblities :)

Edit: Think: do you own theese boards? NO!
go away

Does it have a website?

Damn I dont mean to hurt your feelings like that.

BTW not a damn thing has happened with hl2 since you got the last vid download on steam. A vid we have all seen before. If you reply you just bump it so stop crying about how you had to read this when you contrubute to it. HL2 and Stalker both happen to be unreleased games so considering this is a forum for an unreleased game there is a good chance people here my be intrested in this subject. Let the thread die if you dont like it. I had no idea people were going to have a heart attack over something so unimportant. Community isnt in your vocabulary.

No...

What I'm saying is, it's silly to dismiss the game because it comes from a company that hasn't made anything before. Back 5 years ago I could have easily said "Oh, what has Valve made before? How do we know Half-Life isn't gonna suck?"

The thing is, we don't. We have to wait and see til we play the game.

What I'm saying is, it's silly to dismiss the game because it comes from a company that hasn't made anything before.
Most games by unknown devs are poor, therefore it is more silly to expect Stalker to be good than it is to think it is bad. It is silly to make any assumption, of course. Silly to assume it will be bad and very silly to assume it will be good.

You don't need to look at the past history, you need to look at the game itself. The gameplay doesn't sound bad, the graphics are definitely on a par with D3 and HL2, and they have a good physics system.

There's part of the last movie they released where they shoot a guy that's standing on top of a very large sort of chimney structure. He falls of course, head first, but his foot gets stuck after he's fallen about 6ft on a balcony rail, hangs there for a brief second only to fall about 50ft.

I keep saying it, this is a very good time for games providing that the ones we've seen get released. I'm gonna get them all as they all look really good.

Most games by unknown devs are poor, therefore it is more silly to expect Stalker to be good than it is to think it is bad. It is silly to make any assumption, of course. Silly to assume it will be bad and very silly to assume it will be good.

Wasn't Half Life Valve's first game?

They were 100% unknown apart from a MOD they made for Quake I think. I may be wrong. Then they started on their first ever project which turned out to be Half-Life and it was released a few years later. And you know the rest.

You don't need to look at the past history, you need to look at the game itself. The gameplay doesn't sound bad, the graphics are definitely on a par with D3 and HL2, and they have a good physics system.

The game looks like a standard shooter in open environments. The physics is an open-source free-ware thirdparty solution and the graphics look like standard Dx8 and above PC fare. Still can't see what's so exciting about it.

I think we are all looking at nice graphics and assuming the game will be good. That's the behavior of young and inexperienced gamers.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So was Remedy when they first released Max Payne, and ID when they did Wolfenstien 3D and Doom.

So you really never know...

On a similar subject... anyone seen a game called Chaser? It comes out in a few days. The dev's biggest influence was Half Life, so it's suppossed to have realistic weapons and heavly scripted events.

I d/led the demo. Graphics aren't half bad (pun intended.) The dev's said they support per-pixel lighting (like Doom 3) in the engine, but are doing a mix of lightmap and dynamic lighting / shadows to scale the game for current systems.

It looks pretty good, but the voice acting sucks big time. Anyways, it's also from some unknown European dev.

Yeah but the game isn't a standard shooter in open environments.

"This is a role-playing game without growing experience of your character, without changing characteristics and levels. We want the player to develop his real mastery, moreover Stalker is an action/RPG game and much depends on his ability to fight. Changing characteristics, levels and player's experience, to our mind, would destroy the realism we try to create. As far as the rest is concerned, this is almost a normal PRG game where players travel the Zone, collect artifacts, weapons, reveal anomalous zones, communicate and trade with NPCs etc."

The physics, whether they're free and open-source or not are still good, and in the last trailer I saw I'm pretty sure there were a few DX9 features.

And I'm not an inexperienced gamer thanks. I've been playing games since the old 8-bit console days.

So you really never know...
Sigh...but MOST games from new developers are terrible, by a huge proportion.
The physics, whether they're free and open-source or not are still good
They look good, but they don't seem to be incorporated into gameplay much.

As for the RPG aspects, we'll wait and see. This is a small team and a very ambitious project. I'd expect some features to be cut.

And I'm not an inexperienced gamer thanks. I've been playing games since the old 8-bit console days.
So you'll remember the hundreds of new games that were hyped because of great graphics only to suck when you played them? You'll remember how many of them were from new devs? You'll remember Rise of the Robots?

Back