From a post Gabe Newell made at the Knife Network earlier this month

O

oct13

From a post Gabe Newell made at the Knife Network earlier this month:

As some of you know, I make videogames for a living. For an upcoming videogame we need to have some textures (pictures) of hot steel. Well, I thought to myself, what group could do a better job than the fine people here at getting me some pictures of hot glowing steel.

You can read more in this thread:

I Need A Favor

i have a feeling all this obsessiveness over Gabe is just a little unhealthy.

but interesting to know he's resourceful and stuff etc.

Haha...Thats great. I never really think of people like Gabe (i.e people who make games) as being part a part of online communities like that.

wow, he really is a knifephile, i didn't know there was such a thing.... I'd say congrats to whoever gets him the right picture, they will be respobsible for not only adding textures to one of the biggest games of all time, but they'll even get a free copy :)

yay gabe :p

its probably taken care of judging by the dates, its pretty late in the game to be finding textures by now :p

Wow, that's pretty cool. That's a cool way of getting textures!

EDIT: Now.. let's start to speculate to what end they wan't the hot scaley metal textures. He said that if they wan't to use it on something that's not flat, that the engine will deform it properly. So are we looking at a giant ball of scaley red hot metal?

Could just be me... but something about that smells fishy. Doesnt seem quite right.

Yeah, the title 'I Need A Favor' has been the first letter of each word capitalized.

I cannot believe that Gabe has nearly 350 posts on a knife forum. Literally I cannot and don't believe it. Something's up.

DarkStar said:
I cannot believe that Gabe has nearly 350 posts on a knife forum. Literally I cannot and don't believe it. Something's up.

Don't you know?

he collects knives.

Yeah, did you see the pics of his knife collection? That's pretty cool! There were several awesome looking knives there!

wow. I wonder if his password on that forum is 'gaben' too and if not, how many people have already tried it ;)

Cool find :D Gives a good description to people like me who want to get into games...

Time to find an RTS mod... :D

Damn, I wish Gabe would post here as much as he does at the knife website.

DarkStar said:
Damn, I wish Gabe would post here as much as he does at the knife website.
At least no one here would be cruel enough to go into his account and make a fake post.
:p
I know that I wouldn't.

Well he is a celebrity. At least in gaming circles. Don't you think if Britney Spears was posting on some random knife website, a Spears fansite would link over to it? You better believe it would. It's not really stalking, it's just the cost of being famous.

Free copy? I need to go find me a piece of metal and a blowtorch.

Tredoslop said:
At least no one here would be cruel enough to go into his account and make a fake post.
:p
I know that I wouldn't.
....or make fun of his weight.Oh wait people already do that...

what the hell is wrong with Gabe.. any advanced Photoshop user could create the texture in Photoshop.. i don't get it.. he could ask for someone in Valve to do it in photoshop.. or someone in valve to take a photo...

I think he just want's to be generous and make a competition for someone to get a free copy of te game..

way to go Gabe!:)

morph said:
what the hell is wrong with Gabe.. any advanced Photoshop user could create the texture in Photoshop.. i don't get it.. he could ask for someone in Valve to do it in photoshop.. or someone in valve to take a photo...

most people can tell something produced in photoshop a mile off. nothing beats the real deal.

morph said:

I think he just want's to be generous and make a competition for someone to get a free copy of te game..

way to go Gabe!:)
or he wants authenticity and not an artist's contrived view of such a thing...

Wow do we need to follow gabe everywhere he goes?

I wouldn't be surprised if we get some gabe newell bathroom videos and pix.

SnowBall said:
Could just be me... but something about that smells fishy. Doesnt seem quite right.
I feel the same way...hot steel is not supossed to be textured in the Source engine, it's supossed to be modelled...

ferd said:
I feel the same way...hot steel is not supossed to be textured in the Source engine, it's supossed to be modelled...

Well the texture is applied over a model you know. Apply a nice glow shader to give it that hot-steel vibe and you have yourself a nice looking prop.

I think we should just get rid of textures and all that malarky...Give me a 'realEngine', that acurately reproduces the universe down to the last electron.

outpost233 said:
Wow, we are like virtual Gabe stalkers.

It's kinda scary, really. :eek:

Any freakiness resulting from Gabe's knife collection is overshadowed by the fact that about 50 people are analysing the fact that he has a knife collection.

But I guess there's going to be a smelting facility or something in the game.

Back