Half-Life 2 release hour confirmed

FISKER_Q

Reaction score
Just in from boomtown.net (sorry it's danish at the moment, sorry for starting a new thread about it as well)

Valve and Vivendi has decided that the sales can't start before 12:00AM PST. And it will follow that timeline the world over.

GMT = 8:00AM, CET = 9:00AM, Australia = 6:00PM

Stores are told to hold off the release until those hours, probably to prevent any users being mad about not being able to play(since it will be locked).

Source: www.boomtown.net (Danish version, so wait for translations)

I did a brief translation

Written by Jacob H. Nielsen(Herold), Translated by me :p
There won't be any midnight sales for Half-Life 2 when we change from 15th to 16th november, with the release coming up in less than 2 weeks.

Valve and Vivendi has planned the release that much that it'll be a an almost simoultanous release around the globe, because the game is not allowed to be released before 16th november, 9:00AM GMT+1 time.

The reason for this is probably the addition of Steam, and Vivendi probably won't want people over the world, playing the game over Steam, when it's not even out in retail in half of it.

Instead we will introduce the "Mornin'-sales", so are you one of the lucky to meet up in the store at 9:00AM GMT+1 then you can get your copy, you can also reserve it.

Source: Vivendi

Any english people are free to do any grammar and/or spell checks on it :p

w00t 8am GMT, errm shouldnt that b PM ? or is that just me

So when will it be unlock in new york what time? 3 am? (im bad with all this time stuff.

12am is midnight, because the second it hits it becomes morning, so 8am would be correct, 12pm is noon.

Good for us Brits, wake up refreshed...then play all day! get a good nights sleep before :D :imu:

Yay, get it at 3 am! Looks like an all nighter ;) Better have some code red handy.

I think i will be a real fanboy and play through half-life 1 dureing the night, while i wait :D

sorry guys im not good with this crap, what time would it be in florida? i think thats EST or eastern standard time? i really dont even know, sorry, please help.

score...i can stay up 'til 2 AM on my own...then when the game comes out, i'll just pop an adderall and WOOOO! HL2 here i come!

Wraith said:
sorry guys im not good with this crap, what time would it be in florida? i think thats EST or eastern standard time? i really dont even know, sorry, please help.

ya same here i live in New york so time for you and me is the same. I think its 3 am the 16th. Not sure. Can anyone help out?

They better release it at stores before 6pm in Australia, If not the shops will be closed by then.

Double click your windows clock, goto timezone, and find out what + or - you are to GMT, then simply add or subtract that to 8am, and that is your unlock time.

Raziel-Jcd said:
ya same here i live in New york so time for you and me is the same. I think its 3 am the 16th. Not sure. Can anyone help out?
EST would be 3AM yup.

Someone feel free to make a list though.

Admin_Winnuting, they might be throwing some money in the package to get stores open at the time it's released.

FISKER_Q said:
EST would be 3AM yup.

Someone feel free to make a list though.

Sweet thx for confirmation!

I'm presuming that even if anyone does break the street date, by registering through Steam HL2 won't be playable until that universal time.

Although if it were to come out here at 6pm, And I got a copy before the shops closed, That would be good for me, I get up at around 5-6pm now, And just play the computer all night... Thats what happens when you dont have any school for the rest of the year.

damn, that means i have to wait an extra hour in AZ because of the time zone change.

Oh good, now I don't have to worry about getting up at 6. :D

BladeTurbo said:
damn, that means i have to wait an extra hour in AZ because of the time zone change.

Oh well for that 2 hours you can watch your countdown go slowly down. or look at a clock untill your covered in drool

California: 00h00
Florida(Bush lovers) & New York: 03h00
Portugal & England: 08h00
Germany & France: 09h00
West Australia: 16h00
East Australia: 18h00

I think the mods should post this on the front news page.

To those who bought the game via retail, who cares lol. You get to play it whenever your shop opens. Ala EBGames - 10 AM.

Hectic Glenn said:
Good for us Brits, wake up refreshed...then play all day! get a good nights sleep before :D :imu:

Are you sure, you could sleep good before HL2 is able to be played? I don't think so: I will wake up x times dripping with sweat!

Why does people react like they haven't relized this already?

kush said:
I'm presuming that even if anyone does break the street date, by registering through Steam HL2 won't be playable until that universal time.

I think that was the presumption of boomtown.net (read:not a quote from Vivendi). Another possiblility is that VU is just trying their hardest to make sure that all their retail copies go on sale at the exact instant, so that steam won't start selling until all of VUs copies are in stores on the 16th. There wouldn't be a "steam lock", just careful planning by VU.

Hectic Glenn said:

I got schoool nooooo.

Should i skip the day?

Omg sorry 4 that but i must ask...
I live in Poland thats GMT+1 and i suck at this time madness so it will be unlocked thru steam at 9PM 16th November ? Or its gonna be at 8PM ? omg

Back