My HL2 Preperation: A Video Card Epic

PrimalGod

Reaction score
I remember the first time I gazed into those stary depths. I looked deep into the green abyss only to find it staring back at me. My jaw had dropped, my mouch was dry, and I felt tingly. I was snapped back by a grated and sinister voice, "Pay attention, Mr.Freeman". I watched that whole video with a sense of otherworldy awe. I was with him when he outwitted the combine soldiers and dashed them into the walls. I was with him when he fought along side Barney, fighting for every inch of City 17. I was with him when he danced around a 3 story daddy long-legs. I was once again Gordon Freeman, and I looked drop dead gorgous.

But how good was it going to look on my current video card? I could see my GeForce 4 Ti4200 humming happily away inside my case...but would it be enough. The Prophet who heralded the coming of Half-life 2, Gabe Newell spoke of Cards that would bring out an end to the age of DX8 and birth a new dawn in the eyes of DX9. But there were two paths to take, one which would lead to a halcyon existance of HDR and soft shadows, and anothe which was deciptful and dangerous, which would lead to the land of Lost Frames and Other Cool Stuff.

I searched the lands far and wide. I found followers of the two paths who compared the two. In some instances, the NVIDIA path seemed the wiser choice, it seemed faster in almost everything, yet the Radeon path was cleaner, prettier, and as fast.

The decision came to follow the NVIDIA path when a eBay peddler offered me a Golden Card, the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256Mb for only 300.00 "Too good to be true!" I thought, but I bought it anyways. I had to sell my current card to afford it, but I did just that and used a older card as a place holder. I can still hear his wicked cackle in my mind to this day, his spell of "Damn Good Price" had had its hold on me. So I sent him the funds in for form of a Money Order express mail. I wrote very carefully and large so it could be easily understood, on the top part FROM: in big bold letters, followed by my address, and TO: in big bold letters followed by his address, and gave it to the Man on the Snail , my prayers with it.

The very next day I opened my mail box to discover that the letter I sent with my money was back! I was at first angered by this, for it was delaining my union with the Golden Card, but I quickly went into action. I decided not to wait another day with this Snail Mail, and deposeted it into my bank and called down the Lightning Quick PayPal. He shot my money over to the peddler in an instant, and all was well....or was it?

A week passed and nothing....not even a response from the peddler. I had recived some disturbing mail saying that the man I bought from is being investigated and could be a fraud. I was very distrought by this. I tried to contact him but to no avail. I decided to contact paypal and have them seize my funds, as they had his account number. A week later, they sent a letter saying that the peddler was at fault, but they were unable to recover the funds. At this point I was in a rage. I had saved quite a while for that Golden Card and making fancy esspresso drinks for rich peope doesnt pay that well and I SWEAR TO GOD WHEN I FIND THAT BASTARD I'M GOING TO KICK HIS LITTLE ASS SO HARD THEY HAVE TO USE A SPATULA TO REMOVE HIS TEETH FROM THE PAVEMENT. Ahem, excuse me. Where was I? Oh yes....

So I had lost my money and decided that I was going to have to save every penny and call in some favors if I'm going to be able to aford a Golden Card before Half-Life 2, assuming that the Prophet spoke true about it's arrival date. But then, I had an idea! I ran to the bank and asked if they had Online Fraud protection, and they did! All I had to do was write a letter explainign what happened and they would retrieve my funds! In fact they credited it back to me that day! Although its quite possible PayPal will never work for me again because they are the ones who are forced to pay me back, its a small price to pay.

This little 'hickup' gave me time to do more research and conclude that the Radeon was the True Path and the Golden Card so I once again bought it from a eBay peddler named Dealforsure. He was an honest man with thousands of kind remarks to back him, so I bought my new Radeon 9800 Pro and it was in my hands on week later, and in my computer a hearts beat after that. After I got it, The Prophet spoke of a new vision which had revealed the True Path. The NVIDIA path was the one of trechery and lost frames, and the Golden Path was made of the Radeon's divine light. Now I am on the True Path and await the coming of Half-life 2. Had fate not smiled upon me and sent my Money Order back, I would still be pinning away for a Golden Card. It just assures me that this was ment to be.

-PrimalGod

PS Yea, yea, I know, I have too much free time.

Originally posted by PrimalGod
PS Yea, yea, I know, I have too much free time.
You certainly have. Good piece of writing nonetheless ;)

wow so now you got a new card and decided not tge hte nvdiai bcauese ti si nto a gdoo crda fro hlaf-ilfe 2?

kthxbye

Originally posted by creationist
wow so now you got a new card and decided not tge hte nvdiai bcauese ti si nto a gdoo crda fro hlaf-ilfe 2?

kthxbye

what?

You're lucky you got you money back, and somehow I also believe it was meant to be : )

And also, creationist is too cool for school, go play degenetron or something.

Looks like getting screwed by eaby was a stroke of good luck. Think how red in the face you would've been upon seeing those benchmarks with a newly bought FX5900.

kthxbye

"Wow so now you got a card and decided not to get the nVidiia because it is not a good card for Half Life 2"

;)

After the first few paragraphs I thought it was going to be some nVidia fan boy crap, but thankfully it didn't turn out to be that way. Good piece of writing, I suppose it helps pass the time until the 30th :D

Hey, be very careful when dealing with PayPal...they can make your life hell! They have your account numbers and such and if they feel they're being cheated, they have ways of making things quite a pain for you...just so you know!

I would recommend checking out some of the forums over at http://www.fatwallet.com/forums and search for paypal fraud...

Good luck! And enjoy that 9800Pro!

Wow, the same thing happened to me. Bought a new 5900 Ultra for 300, got an e-mail from e-bay saying he was a fraud, etc. I got it cleared up now, but just like this poster, I've realized I should buy the Radeon anyway. Looks like we were part of the same scam. Ah well, at least it worked out for the better....9800xt...drool...

Yea, I hope he's in hell too. I thought about sending a "Tip" to the police because he was of middle eastern decent. I have nothing against that, but it could be used to an advantage in tracking that asshole down. They might just want to investigate a little harder at someone of middle eastern decent that swindled 100,000 from eBay for "Unknown purposes".

Heh. I AM happy I got a refund for my purchase and that I DIDNT get that 5900U, though. Radeon 9800xt, where art thou?

get a 9800 PRO 256, you can get a better overclock with it cause it has DDR-II mem which has a lower latency, also do a volt mod, and your core can overclock from the XT's 425, to a whooping 500 and up :)

And to think you started out with a perfectly good card...

kthxbye

Guess it's true what they say about creationists.

Great read man. Ohh and if I go up to my bank and ask them about online freud, and tell them I purchased something with Paypal and didn't get the item, will the bank pay me? Even if I really didn't buy anything?

Originally posted by TheOriginalEvil
....I go up to my bank and ask them about online freud....

So, tell me about your mother.

Thats why I never buy off ebay. assholes they are.

Degenatron is a GTA:Vice City reference, yeah...but from what I understand it was actually a game system back in the 80's, and there is even a site with a Degenatron emulator and the very few (2?) games that came with it.

-Syko

EDIT: Just did a quick Google search, and it was the first link to pop up...
http://www.degenatron.com/ ... "I'll never go to school again!" I think a few certain upcoming games could have this effect on some of us...*cough*HL2*cough*

Wonderful story. I especially liked the part where you got the ATi card. :)

Syko, That site & the Degenatron is a fake put up by Rockstar, www.petsovernight.com should still work from GTA3 as well.

Here is a whois search on www.degenatron.com
Checking server [whois.crsnic.net]
Checking server [whois.register.com]
Results:

The data in Register.com's WHOIS database is provided to you by
Register.com for information purposes only, that is, to assist you in
obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration
record. Register.com makes this information available "as is," and
does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, you
agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that,
under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1) allow, enable,
or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial
advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic mail, or by
telephone; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to Register.com (or its systems). The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of Register.com.
Register.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

Organization:
Rockstar Games
System Administrator
575 Broadway, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10012
US
Phone: 212 334 6633
Fax..: 212 334 6694
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: DEGENATRON.COM

Created on..............: Thu, Aug 29, 2002
Expires on..............: Sun, Aug 29, 2004
Record last updated on..: Mon, Nov 11, 2002

Administrative Contact:
Rockstar Games
System Administrator
575 Broadway, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10012
US
Phone: 212 334 6633
Fax..: 212 334 6694

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue - 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 902-749-2701
Fax..: 902-749-5429

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.GODGAMES.COM 63.236.94.5
NS5.GODGAMES.COM 63.236.94.4

Register your domain name at http://www.register.com

That Degenetron site was made for GTA:VC. It was never really a console. And the "Emulator" is a flash movie.

It's just a play on how simple games used to be and how everyone thought they were the greatest thing ever.

Of course, the same will be true when people look back at the games of today.

you got lucky. good story although i noted a few errors...i give it an 82%

last paragraph was really nice *single tear rolls down cheek*

The Prophet spoke of a new vision which had revealed the True Path. The NVIDIA path was the one of trechery and lost frames, and the Golden Path was made of the Radeon's divine light.

gotta love it :dozey:

Excellent piece of writing my friend, you should put it to good use and join Marc Laidlaw in his job.

Creationist.... we're you using your forehead to type that or just mashing the keyboard? It's obscene!

kthxbye

The guy ripping you off actually helped you out in the long run!!!

If he was honest you would be stuck with an FX card.

It would seem you have made the correct choice, PrimalGod. I have chosen the True Path of the Prophet 9800 Pro (HErcules vairant of ATi's Radeon 9800 Pro 128). I almost followed the False Messiah (NVIDIA 5900 Ultra 256) but I couldn't make myself part with the extra coinage. I'm glad I didn't.

HAHAHA damn, fell for that one way too easily :|

Eh, found the rockstar link at the bottom. I must say, they did a good job of making a crappy, old looking page, lol. Oh well.

-Syko

Back