1.6 --> 2.4 good idea?

Reaction score
Right now, I have 1.6 GHz P4 and I think I should upgrade. There's a 2.4 GHz P4 on sale for $110. Should I upgrade to this one or should I wait for a better one to go on sale? Thanks.

I assume it's a Pentium 4 you are talking about. If the 2.4GHz P4 has a 800 FSB then does your board support 800FSB?
If the above is true then it would be an awesome upgrade.

If you motherboard can handle it, I would jump all over it like white on rice. ;)

it's not just the processor, it's the whole motherboard that's $110. im assuming that it's still a good idea to purchase this?

Upgrading to a motherboard that supports faster processors will not give you a perfomance boost - only more headroom to upgrade. Check to see whether your mobo supports 800mhz fsb processors - in which case you wont need a new mobo. An upgrade going from 1.6 to 2.4Ghz would be cool.

If it is a P4 2.4GHz CPU with 533FSB it will be faster but might be more of a pain to install if you are not familar with PC hardware. It's still a good deal if that includes the board and CPU. Do you know the details on the board or CPU?

A P4 2.4Ghz CPU with 800FSB would be a lot faster and IMO well worth any hassle.

ok well i got it and jsut insatlled it but when i try to boot up teh pc, the monitor is still in stand by mode. i hear the computer running. and does anybody know what an ATX12V is? cus it says i should

"Connect the Pentium 4 processor auxiliary case power supply connector to ATX12V ." as step one

on my other board, i didn't need to do this step

also,

"Note: When the system is heavily loaded, you should install, at a minimum, an ATX12V power supply with a 300W capacity."

The power supply i am using right now is 420W
is this my problem? or is the mobo defective becuase all of them were open boxes.

EDIT: the board is a
ECS ELITEGROUP 848P-A
one of these dunno which one
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/SiteMap/SearchResult.aspx?q=848P-A&f=Products&MenuID=0&LanID=0

ok, after I went to tech support at frys, they tested it out, and well, it worked. i thought i was missing that cable for the 4 pin plug, so i got one for $3.99. got home, checked the power supply and well, the wire cable was there all bundled up with other wires so it was almost impossible to spot. so now the computer is running fine.
thanks for all the help.

Hmm it's one of those 2.4A Prescotts, the ones with only 533fsb and no HT technology. Still, seeing as it also comes with a motherboard that's pretty cheap. 848P isn't too bad a chipset for the money you're paying. And it looks like the CPU comes with the Heatsink/Fan as the picture shows a retail box. Not bad, you'll still see a big difference in performance I'm sure.

Back