100 things that SUCKED about half-life 2

5)Flamethrowers
yeah i would love to see some of these in a game like HL-2, in Return to Castle Wolfenstein the flamer was awesome, with the effects in HL-2 having one would have kicked more ass then was humanly possible

Loading times.

That's it. I love it except for loading times, I mean, what the hell! It loads for five minutes every five minutes.

I agree with StardogChampion's list.

43. Lame attempts at humor that I didn't go for ("What cat?" and "Uhh...about that cat" etc.)

AmishSlayer said:
I agree with StardogChampion's list.

43. Lame attempts at humor that I didn't go for ("What cat?" and "Uhh...about that cat" etc.)
I thought they were very funny.

44. People feeling forced to pick holes in it because it's so good.

StardogChampion said:
34. Annoying tomboy female main character added to make it appeal to a more mainstream audience. Swap Alex with that other lady that was in the lab and it would've been better.
35. Steam dependency slows load times hugely.
36. Only the overarching story is somewhat interesting, the immediate one with stupid kidnappings is just crap.
37. Too much travelling to all these random locations. The greatness of HL1 was Black Mesa.
38. Crappy short intro, most of which was shown in its entirety before the game was even released. The most famous part of of HL1 was the tram ride in.
39. Uninteresting enemies.
40. No decent RP section in the beginning, like walking around the lab in HL1 and putting on your suit. They tried it in HL2, but failed.
41. Maps aren't that good. Probably because of the acquisition of the Counter-Strike team.
42. It didn't feel like you were even in the same universe as HL1. It felt like an entirely different world, not a good thing in this case.

I disagree with most, because in my opinion hl1 is hl1, and hl2 and is hl2.

Only thing I don't like, is loading times. That is it.

My god, if this forum were a country I would've been hanged for treason months ago for saying such bad things about HL2. Well, I've been banned for a month already, which is bad enough. Yes, banned - for saying bad things about HL2.

Aren't you lot concerned about saying all these bad things about this sacred game of yours? Oh, I think there are many people headed for the gallows tonight.

Oh, and #7: Alyx never got her kit off? I agree, that is stupid. Get a life, loner.

45:Some models (eg the dumpster) aren't full skinned and from some angles you can see through them (God these are crap arguements)

Off-topic:
Funny sig Laivasse

ríomhaire said:
45:Some models (eg the dumpster) aren't full skinned and from some angles you can see through them (God these are crap arguements)

Off-topic:
Funny sig Laivasse

You can't see them because they're modeled that way. You gots to save teh poligones!

Qucik question, what happens when we find 100 things that 'sucked' about HL-2, we get pats on the back from Valve?

I agree with the no bullsquid which is bullshit! The barnacle eating animations no realistic than the ones in the first HL. When I first encountered one, it ate a crow and spat out a human skull!

Some more.....

45. Combine Elite were a joke. I was expecting them to do some crazy Kung Fu like the HL1 Assassins and use some scripted super tactics but all they had was the Pulse Rifle secondary fire and slightly higher HP. (Did I mention I played on hard too?)
46. The Stider Battles were a joke, when I first saw them in the E3 videos you feared them and they looked invincible. But when you first fight them they had to throw about a dozen together which took away their individual uniqueness and giving you a thousand NPCs to back you up and unlimited ammo! It only took 6 rocket blasts to down one on hard!
47. Really stupid AI has already been mentioned but the fact that you can't tell them to stay or stand a postion is unforgivable. In HL1 the commands seemed more advanced since you were already able to do this but in 2 they always follow you around and run right up to the enemy....walk into a sniper's bullet or into your own rocket. You can't ditch them either unless they get killed. Which brings me to....
48. No friendly fire. I'm tired of having these idiots follow me around that are more likely to give me harm than help.
49. Horrible texture resolution....it's 2005! I have a X800 with the game run at max settings and it still looks blurry up close.
50. The helicopter battle which next to the Geneworm boss fight at the end of OpFor is the most boring and contrived boss fight ever.

I can just imagine Valve's converstation....

"Lets have a helicopter with a million HP that drops an unlimited supply of bombs as if it had a teleporter linked to an armory right in it!"

"I'm listening..."

"But it gets better! The player HAS TO kill it....and the strongest weapon they have is hooked up to a "motion sickness machine" and needs to be recharged every 5 seconds!"

"Brilliant!"

Ohh, just another 50 things until our viruses on the back from Valve!

Evo said:
Qucik question, what happens when we find 100 things that 'sucked' about HL-2, we get pats on the back from Valve?
Someone e-mails the non-joking ones to Valve, and we end up getting a great HL3.

If 100 people send the e-mail, they have to notice.

No way I'm taking the time to read all of that so this may have been mentioned before but:

51: Guns are way too inaccurate.

StardogChampion said:
Someone e-mails the non-joking ones to Valve, and we end up getting a great HL3.

Yeah i suppose, to me it seems like people are being pedantic but if Valve were to use it as creative criticism then carry on

I'll add a couple of my own:

51. You can't shoot friendly NPCs, unlike HL1.
52. You can't gib dead corpses of any kind, unlike HL1.

Gibing corpses is stupid and if you went around gibbing every corpse you saw you should be put in a mental hospital.
"dead corpses" is a huge oxymoron

ihr werdet alle sterben!!!!!!!!
loading times sucked and the peformance on Gforce cards sucked thats all

Wolfy Snackrib said:
Look, half-life 2 is a great single player game, it's loads of fun to play but there were some moronic things in it that pissed me off.

1. To much time in the same damn environment so you get bored of it for example driving the car or the airboat for 1 hour.

Try playing Doom 3. 20 hours in the same friggin tunnels.

In reference to the gibbing corpses:

I think a balance needs to be found. Like in BIA for example. You can nade someone, and they die. But if you get one right on them, they'll loose a leg or two, and maybe an arm. Turning them into Stubby-The-Nazi.

StardogChampion said:

And do what? Go back in time and change a few little things? I'm sure Valve is well aware that Half-Life 2 is not absolutely perfect. And most of these things are very subjective.

ríomhaire said:
The best human gibbing I've seen is UT2K4

I liked UT's gibbing a lot also. But I wish there was some *meat* where the limb had come off. (The fire WAS a cool effect though.) The weak link in UT's ragdolls/gibbing in my opinion was the Karma physics engine.

trizzm said:
um, no, that was pretty f***ing ghey. that game is a piece of thrash, and the definition of something not epic.

To YOU. I liked it... a little.

Still think HL2's soundtrack was more ambience than music, but meh.

clarky003 said:
this thread is a Halo fanboy's wet dream :| .

This thread a Half-Life 2 fanboy's nightmare.

It works both ways.

Luckily for me, I'm somewhat unbiased about the whole situation. I take Half-Life 2 for what it is. A great game, that could have been greater.

There's only one thing I didn't like about HL2:
1. Steam

Those times when I wanted to play HL2, and thought, great guess I have to leave my computer on again to download the updates. Each time I reinstall my OS, and can't just rerun the previous installation, and have to wait 6hrs+ to get everything all installed again (yey). And other people complain about the long install process so I'm not alone there. Those times I wanted to just run the model viewer in the sdk and get complaints that "steam is not active", and have to wait minutes just for steam to update. I know you can set each game to have no updates, but steam still updates itself. How wonderful to leave steam running all the time and run on startup. I wonder what will happen if in 10 years there are no steam servers. Can you run the map editor and modelviewer in "offline" mode? Oh and I like how if you start the the updates you are forced to finish them (offline mode wont work if updates are partial).

Wouldn't it be cool if every games company had the equivalent of steam? I would just love to have 10 extra system tray icons and updates for every game before I run it. Its such a great idea that every company should do the same.

I can forgive them for steams contribution to better copy protection, but not for its contribution to load times.

Top Secret said:
This thread a Half-Life 2 fanboy's nightmare.

It works both ways.

Luckily for me, I'm somewhat unbiased about the whole situation. I take Half-Life 2 for what it is. A great game, that could have been greater.

agreed

About the Helicopter discussion, you should be thankful the airboat ride wasn't even worse than it already was. They had to revamp the whole thing because one of their playtesters continuously got sick after playing through the tests. And one of the people were attempting to create a helicopter fight on the water, though I inferred slightly and also read that the bombs were a mistake at first. One of the graphics designers of that area was testing out the AI of the helicopter as it attacked and he made it to where all these bombs were to fall out of the sky on accident. He believed it was brilliant and suggested it to the rest of the VALVe team. No discussion other than that involved for the creation of the helicopter fight.

I thought the Lamarr idea was hilarious. And Lamarr was named after an old 1930's (I believe it was then) actress. Which makes you wonder just how old Dr. Kleiner really is...

The cat humor was funny in the beginning when Alyx and Barney were talking about the portal progression. Though when you're in "Follow Freeman!" and Barney's all "Did you hear that? I could've sworn I just heard a cat" was a bit out-of-place. How the hell do you hear a cat meowing through loads of gunfire and Strider bombs? That's beyond me.

I can't comment on the graphics as I was warned before I started playing that my graphics card wasn't up-to-date. I never found out how to update it, nor do I have the money to replace it with a better one. Even with the card I have, I personally thought the graphics were fantastic.

The buggy controls weren't all that bad, honestly. It was confusing at first as I use the mouse to turn and fire. I'm attempting to turn the buggy with the mouse, but I instead end up crashing into a wall instead of turning away. The Antlions had a field day with me.

I agree that there could've been more exotic weapons included in the game. Though I was thankful with what we were given. Sure, the Pulse Rifle's ammo ran out fast, but it hit hard. After killing a soldier, it was a bit hard to stop yourself from firing your 30 rounds at a corpse.

The Strider battles were a pain... It may be just me, but it took me half an hour to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go to find more ammo to kill the stupid Striders with when you first started fighting them. x.x It was a pain, but I finally got it. Only to keep running into some chick who wouldn't get out of my blasted way.

I think the squad was a tad annoying at times. They would crowd the doorways and stand in your way until you shot at them (or at least for me I had to). I mean, when you're running from a ton of Combine because you're low on life, you don't want to have to plow through a field of people just to get to safety. Though I thought what they said was all right compared to the scientists in Half-Life 1. The lines were a tad repetitive, and the same type of person appeared in the same place one too many times. As in, I saw two of the same scientist in the EXACT SAME room. Either they have holograms or special teleportation devices that I didn't know about. o_O;; Whereas, it was fixed in Half-Life 2. You saw less of each of the same person as you progressed through the game. It had a better variety. The security guards all looked the same... xP That was, blegh. I walk out from the testing chamber and I'm seeing a Einstein look-alike trying to give CPR to a Barney on the floor. My first thought was "ONG BARNEYZZ DAED!", but then I realized that I JUST got done teaming up with him in Half-Life 2. Which takes place ten years later.

The transition of worlds seemed excellent to me. Yes, we all know Freeman in his natural environment, Black Mesa, but placing Freeman in an unknown and strange land seemed like a great idea. It's ten years later, and Freeman hasn't aged a bit. He's removed from his natural environment and cast into an unknown world ten years after the one he was so fond of was destroyed. He remeets people he once knew ten years after total domination by an unknown force. They all know what's going on, but he doesn't have a clue. It's letting us as the players actually feel more involved in the gameplay because Black Mesa was a strange place. I felt a bit out-of-place as Freeman knew where the hell he was going but I was clueless. Whereas, in this world Freeman knew naught where to go and neither did I. I went wherever the citizens and other people told me to go.

On the note about Alyx, I believe she was a great character to have. I don't think Dr. Mossman would've been a good replacement... I mean, a chick in her fifties toting a gun around. C'mon, guys. What the frell? I didn't see it happening when I read someone would rather have Mossman in the place of Alyx. And Alyx is a tomboy due to the environment she was placed in. Do you honestly think there would be time to be girly and all spazzmatic in a world where you couldn't do squat because you were under some big organization's law? Alyx had the perfect personality for a female in the state she was in.

And about not being able to shoot your squad... It's a bit more unrealistic, but VALVe thought it necessary to cut that ability out. At one point you COULD shoot your teammates and the citizens, but VALVe thought things would be better off if they disabled that ability in Half-Life 2, unlike Half-Life 1.

Overall, I agree with whoever said that Half-Life 2 was a great game that could have been even greater. Nothing is perfect, and everyone has their petpeeves about something. It's just the way the world works.

Just the fact that navi wouldnt STFU, I still hear her. LISTEN LISTEN, LISTEN. Wait...HL2? Alyx.

Love the sarcasm about Steam, twins3n.

WHY DO I WANT TO GIB CORPSES?

What would you do if you were playing a game where you're a marine battling cyborg aliens, and one of those aliens had a special ability to bring dead aliens back to life so you had to fight them all over again, and to prevent that you were able to destroy the corpses utterly, with much less precious ammo used.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

BTW, such a game existed. It was called Quake 2.

Foebane said:

What would you do if you were playing a game where you're a marine battling cyborg aliens, and one of those aliens had a special ability to bring dead aliens back to life so you had to fight them all over again, and to prevent that you were able to destroy the corpses utterly, with much less precious ammo used.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Erm, but Half-Life 2 is a totally different game. You're arguing that Quake II should have gibbing. Well, it does, so well done.

Foebane said:

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Do you know we're talking about HL2? A game in which none of that happens
(Although it was an idea for HL1 that alien slaves coulds shock a teammate back to life)

Feath said:
Erm, but Half-Life 2 is a totally different game. You're arguing that Quake II should have gibbing. Well, it does, so well done.

Ah, yes, but how close did Valve come to creating a Combine Medic? Hmm? If they had, HL2 players would be in the same boat as Q2 players, and they would not be able to do the same (gibbing) as Q2 players, I bet. So they would have to quickly hunt down and kill the Medics whilst putting themselves in the firing lines of Combine troops.

And if a player was pinned down by two Combines alternately firing at him and reloading whilst a Medic attended to their slightest injuries constantly, they'd be in deep trouble.

Come to think of it, that would make the game more interesting... ;)

Foebane said:
Ah, yes, but how close did Valve come to creating a Combine Medic? Hmm? If they had, HL2 players would be in the same boat as Q2 players, and they would not be able to do the same (gibbing) as Q2 players, I bet. So they would have to quickly hunt down and kill the Medics whilst putting themselves in the firing lines of Combine troops.

And if a player was pinned down by two Combines alternately firing at him and reloading whilst a Medic attended to their slightest injuries constantly, they'd be in deep trouble.

I must agree with Foebane here, a combine medic would have been interesting.

I would prefer if they used the health kits/health chargers. I would also like to see them using a suitcharger as I think they use a weak version of the PCV (no real reason behind this)

Foebane said:

But Half-Life 2 didn't have that, which is why they didn't have gibbing. If they did have a situation when you had to gib monsters to kill them, you'd they gibbing.

What you're saying makes as much sense as saying "Half-Life 2 doesn't have proton torpedoes, can you imagine trying to take down a Star Destroyer without proton torpedoes?" Because Half-Life 2 doesn't actually have Star Destroyers, it's a non-issue. Half-Life 2 doesn't have a situation where you need to gib enemies to kill them.

Back