128 or 256?

Razak

Reaction score
In the benchmarks put out by valve the other day, which 9800 pro was used? 128mb or the 256mb? Sorry if this was asked before.

Originally posted by Razak
In the benchmarks put out by valve the other day, which 9800 pro was used? 128mb or the 256mb? Sorry if this was asked before.

256 I think, but either way its not a big diffrence, maybe a frame or two in spots.

ya i just ordered a 128 today and it got me thinking. As long as its a few fps i wont mind. Thanks

But for future games like doom3, 128 for doom3 is just like playing HL2 with 16mb card

i think HL2 will have more of a future, mod wise than doom.

Originally posted by G0rgon
But for future games like doom3, 128 for doom3 is just like playing HL2 with 16mb card

shut teh fux0rz up!

Originally posted by Animal
shut teh fux0rz up!

YEah if D3 is really that advanced , thats definetly a problem for the developers and stupid of them.

PS- Its not going to be like that anyway.

more or less around 120... maybe 128 (against the 16 mb hl2 statement)..... :afro:

16MB? Man, back in the day (before last summer when i got my radeon 8500le 128mb) i would have KILLED for 16MB of video memory. I was playing with a Nvidia Vanta LT 8MB. I got >20fps on 1024*768, on average.

128 is fine. i got my 9800pro128 on monday, i run the doom3 leak at 40+fps. it was 9 on my gf3. and i didnt even optimize it for ati yeat.

gorgon dont post stuff that you have absolutely no knowledge about. Recent games dont even come close to using 128mb vid ram (including HL2, and DOOM3).

Originally posted by mannyfresh027
128 is fine. i got my 9800pro128 on monday, i run the doom3 leak at 40+fps. it was 9 on my gf3. and i didnt even optimize it for ati yeat.

My 5900U 256 does 60FPS!!!!!!

*SCORE one small victory for my otherwise shitty and depressing video card*

I read about this, and I know what iam talking about.

hl2 comes down to raw gpu power, not mem.. id think the same for doom3?

256! Hardly anyone owns them cards, thats just bollocks gorgon.

Im almost 100% sure they used the 128 version of the 9800 for the E3 show. As for the latest test on "Shader Day" I am unsure. I am getting the 256, cant hurt.

Originally posted by stigmata
16MB? Man, back in the day (before last summer when i got my radeon 8500le 128mb) i would have KILLED for 16MB of video memory. I was playing with a Nvidia Vanta LT 8MB. I got >20fps on 1024*768, on average.

ha i remember 4 years ago playing Half-life with a 8mb voodoo3.

Nope, i have read an article about that and they said Doom3 takes like 95MB with everyting cranked up

Doom3 is being built around Nvidia hardware.... Nuff' said... I don't think we have to worry about ATi's running Doom3.

128 ram explination and 256

I am unsure on what doom 3 and half-life 2 are doing, but basically, the memory deals with the texture size of the textures on each map of the games. If they use really high resolution textures that uses more then 128 ram (which I doubt at this pint) then the rest will be drawn from your main motherboard memory and cpu power to get the textures to look like and render how you set them to (highest graphic settings in this case)

hope this helps

HL2 works better with ATi cards, and Doom3 works better with Nvidia cards. I hope this isn't a trend.

Originally posted by Animal
shut teh fux0rz up!

u know its funny that just the other day i read a thread about how Valve is pushing the limits of today's hardware(and all the praises Valve got for this in that thread) and now today i come into this thread reading a comment about Doom3 and how 256 version cards might run that game better than 128mb versions and i find a post like the above..

im not a ID fanboy.. infact i love HL series more than the Doom series but theres a little hyprocrisy going around this forum as for as pushing today's hardwares' limits.. :|

Originally posted by Ti133700N
Nope, i have read an article about that and they said Doom3 takes like 95MB with everyting cranked up

I heard it was 80 megs

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
I heard it was 80 megs

Yea I think you r right, anyway can u imagine Doom3 with everyting Maxed up and less than 100MB?! and it doesn't come out until first quarter 2004 so... no need to spend 100$ or so for a 256MB when there is absolutly noooo gain! :)

WIll Half-Life 2 take advantage of 256mb cards? Namely, should I get a 9800 Pro 128 or 256?:bounce:

You guys are aware, that all of the reviewers pretty much say that the way to go between the 128 and 256mb graphics cards is the 128mb version? Toms hardware... etc etc etc.

They benchmark almost identically the same, and the GPU's on the cards are not close enough yet to closely realize the mega needs of 256mb DDR ram. It can have 256mb DDR ram, but on these cards they do not have the power to power a game that might really need to utilize 256mb much.

128mb is really all that is needed for now in games, you wont see a very big difference at all with a 256mb in doom 3 or half-life 2... especially not worth it for the 150-200 dollar price difference. I bought my 128mb ati radeon 9800 pro for 300 dollars, and 30 dollars overnight shipping brought that to 330... compared to a 400-500 dollar 256mb ati radeon card.

EDIT: I forgot to add... 256mb DDR-2 versions run far hotter than the 128mb DDR-1. That's a major thing to take into consideration, especially if you are an overclocker with an already fragile system case.

Hey, crab. I know you don't believe me but I want you to make a search and find out how big is the diffrence will be using 256 on 128.

And when I said 16mb, I meant that there will be a big jump of performace when playing D3 on 256. And when PLay D3 on 128 you will get a sharp drop in fps just like playing HL2 on 128 and you get 60fps. playing HL2 on 16 maybe you get 2fps or less or more.

you get what I am saying.:cool:

TO sum up 256 is way better for future games. Also HL2 with 256, allow you to enable AA+FSAA with a res of 1600 by ... with out affecting the fps greatly. :cheers:

you need 256 to get over 60
Actually if you knew anything at all you would know that carmack has locked doom3 to run at a max of 60fps, you can't get anything higher

Back