1944 D-Day : Recruiting to finish E3 Demo

ninjaBob

Reaction score
1944_banner_02.jpg

http://www.1944game.com
http://www.franticgames.com

Frantic Games is currently developing a next gen game 1944 D-Day : Operation Overlord, this is a WW2 simulation that focuses on simulating the Battle/Event.

The Full Game will Feature:

* Realistic Squad tactics based on actual military training guides.
* 100% Authentic
o With over 50 WW2 weapons
o With over 200 vehicles,planes, tanks, boats and artillery
o All of Normandy recreated from photos, maps and drawings
o Realistic controls and accurate simulation.

* Every Unit, Every Nation.

o Germany
o UK
o US
o Canada
o Australia
o New Zealand
o And many more

* Realistic AI controlling every aspect of the game.

o The AI controls the emotions and feelings of every unit
o Coordinates realistic tactics and movements
o Manages over 200,000 units realtime

* Large open dynamic maps, that live and breath alongside the combat.

o Animals that react to the combat
o Grass and trees that flow with the wind
o Buildings and terrain that take realistic damage
o 24 Hour clock, watch the sun rise as the battles continue

* Witness all areas of combat, from any number of perspectives.

o Omaha Beach
o Utah Beach
o Sword Beach
o Juno Beach
o Gold Beach
o Point Du Hoc
o Bayeux region
o Caen
o Benouville
o St Mere Eglise
o Carentan
o And many other areas full realised

* Large Open Multiplayer and Co-Op system for 128+ players.

We are currently in the middle of developing our E3 demo, which will focus in on a small 10km squared area surrounding. It will involve over 15,000 units, tanks, artillery, mortar teams, infantry, airborne and planes as both sides fight it out to secure this pivotal area.

The key to our game is the dynamic AI which is central to the games core.

We currently require members for the following Positions:

Animators:

* Character Animators using Maya or Max
* Weapon Animators using Maya or Max
* Must be able to rig, apply weights and export into the engine (documentation and help as well as samples will be provided)
* Must be able to realistically animate human movements and have an apptitude for such animations
* Must work well in a team environment
* Must be able to work off their own steam
* Must be able to take constructive crits.

Texture Artists

* Capable of Texturing extremely detailed Maps
* Diffuse Maps, Specular Maps, Displacement/Bump are a plus
* Capable of working with 1024x1024 minimum
* Capable of Unwrapping

Modellers

* Vehicle, Prop or Building Modellers
* Capable of working within tight tri limits
* Able to unwrap when required
* Vehicle Modllers with High Poly Experience for Normal Maps is a great plus.

We are on a very strict deadline, but we have enough members to spread the load, you would have a minimal amount of work to do, so you can take your time and perfect it. The team consists of around 30 developers, and we have about 20 - 30 more contributing works. So as you can imagine while we expect quality of the highest order, you will be given more than enough room to achieve it.

If you would like more details, or just simply want to enquire please feel free to contact us:

[email protected]

We have a very well established game going, with a huge following of over 1000+ fans. We recently featured in PC Gamer, with a substantial preview and over the course of 2005 we featured on alot of gaming sites. Our content is well received and often watched, so if you feel you want more exposure or be part of something that is going places. Contact us.

snip.jpg

No matter what your experience is feel free to apply we are happy to help new talent learn and develop their skills.

Best Regards
Ronan Hayes

1944_banner_07.jpg

nice work but try not to posr unskinned render just a suggestion

This sounds like a fantastic take on the massively-overdone WW2 FPS genre. I definitely can't wait for E3 now.

We usually avoide unTextured content, but since we are looking for talented people, showing Extremely detailed characters at such low tri levels is always a great deciding factor. Not only are we looking for great talent but we already have it and they are churning out work as fast as they possibly can.

If you checkout our gallery you will see they dont feature, they are only used for art recruiting purposes.

http://www.1944game.com/gallery.html

Thanks for all the support lads.

just wondering. is this a payed position. considering that its for e3 and all.

No its not paid. Certain members are paid, mainly by myself from what I earn from my real-job. This is mainly for more specialized content. Obviously there is an agreement amongst all members that they will be paid, and our rates are made available to all team members, there is also the share options, and investment options.

Given the high risk nature of these ventures, I tend not to allow fellow team members to invest at this point. I dont want to see them loose money at this point, so I prefer to take on that burden myself, this leaves us restricted in our spending to about 60% of what I earn each month, while its not a whole lot, it does cover the purchasing of 3rd party software, and outsourcing content.

so are you going to be trying to get it bought by a publisher. why dont you just set up a contract so team members get payed a fee from the publisher if it gets bought?

We have that in place, the difference is that we dont want to rely just on the aspirations of a publisher, publishing our work. Realistically speaking a publisher paying us to finish development, may never come about. But we can always self publish and with a rapidly growing community we can actually make the game work financially and recoup our costs. But we dont want to get tied down to just hoping a publisher will come along, because thats foolish.

So when I can afford to pay, I pay, if I cant I dont, but members are always re-assured by knowing the agreement is inplace. If team members feel strongly about the project they can invest in it etc. but its never a case of them being forced to invest, because at this point in time I would prefer to limit their risk, since they are investing their time heavily, thats investment enough at this point. Everything is clearly outlined to the team, and everything is agreed upon. Basically its a matter of the team not getting screwed, and myself not being pinned into handing over my house.... but all of this is clearly agreed upon when you are in the team. Oh and a team of about 30+ have already agreed upon whats been outlined and are particularly happy about it.

We have over 30 fully active members, we then have about 40+ contributors who submit the odd piece here and there, as well as our contractors which includes some development houses.

Ontop of this we have trial members my current list shows about 36.

And if you are wondering why we would require more members if we have such a large team already. Well the its pretty simple, if each member does one or two things extremely well, then by the shear numbers we will develop our content far faster and to better standards. It also allows for each member to contribute far less time, which is always a plus as most teams major downfall is relying on just one member to do all of the work in one area (texturing or animation seems to be the major areas for this)

So if we can get say 10 new members who will commit to doing 4 or 5 pieces of work over the next few weeks, at an extremely high level of quality. Then we will be all the better for it. As opposed to taking some of our existing members and asking them to put in double the hours they are currently doing, which would probably result in less quality, less willingness to do the work, because they would be over worked and over stressed.

very nice screens and I love the concept ..finally a ww2 game that has canadian troops. But I'm a little confused ..is this on Source or Reality engine? Are you creating a stand alone game or mod? or both? is the full game multiplayer only? what will the mods for bf2 and Hl2 feature? how will the differ from the full version?

CptStern said:
very nice screens and I love the concept ..finally a ww2 game that has canadian troops. But I'm a little confused ..is this on Source or Reality engine? Are you creating a stand alone game or mod? or both? is the full game multiplayer only? what will the mods for bf2 and Hl2 feature? how will the differ from the full version?

Thats what I was thinking. Canada makes great games but we arnt in any of them! Not to mention our WWII contribution.

I believe the 2 mods will be "previews" for a full retail game.

The Full game is developed using our highly adapted version of the Reality Engine.

We are creating 1944 as a standalone game that we hope to sell.

We are also creating mods for BF2 and HL2, these act as an introduction to 1944. They will not feature half as much as what we aim to implement in the full game. But they will still be high quality developments

The full game is both single player and multiplayer. What we essentially have is when the game is placed in an online scenario, a player can replace a unit. This allows for about 128 - 256 (Depending on servers, and this may increase.), to replace 128-256 AI units.

The full game is the complete experience the mods are only an introduction.

w00t for Canada. This mod looks amazing. If you are going to sell this please not EA!

EA is awesom nothings wrong with it, people just like to bitch

Back