2 gig on harddrive

JFry

Tank
Reaction score
I recently built a new computer and I am having trouble with my hard drive. It is a 10 gig IBM out of an old gateway however the new rig is only recognizing 2016 mb of it. I have a feeling this has something to do with my bios... Here is the motherboard I'm using:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-138-019&depa=1

I tried updating the drivers but it didn't fix it. Can anybody help me plz?

Actually it is possible that everything you installed took up 8 gb on your HDD.

Have you installed your OS onto it? Did you clean it out before the transplant? Did you pay your daily SixThree tax?

Try running dos and loading "FdisK". This happened to my hp.
Delete your hard drive partion, and then readd it and make sure the space is 100%. That should do it for you.

Sorry about the link, this one should work:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-019&depa=1
I formatted while installing windows and it displayed a total of 2016 mb on the drive.. formatted and unformatted. With windows xp on there it leaves me with about 500mb free space, which sucks! My thinking is that the motherboard is older, so its bios doesn't recognize larger harddrives. But I'm not sure how to fix it. Or maybe it is something completely different, it is a rather wierd problem.

not worth it

is it really worth the trouble? hds are so cheap these dys - especially when u can get a 50$ one with 40gigs, a 10 gig is almost useless. 1 dual layer dvd can hold almost 10 gigs

well for the purposes of this computer 10 gig should be plenty. And if I am correct in diagnosing the problem then getting a new hard drive won't solve the issue. I am going to try to swap out some hard drives in other computers and see if I can get some more info.

I told yo how!
I had a 13 gig HP.
Reformated(this was like the..20th reformat).
Had 2 gigs.
Went to dos, fdisk, hit y, then clicked on 4 I think it was...deleted the C:\ partion, then went to 1(or was it 2?(it tells you what each # does)) eradded the C:\ partion with 100% space and then reinstalled the reformat disks, and thats what fixed it for me.

ok did you go to dos from windows or from bios? And can you (or anybody) explain how to get to dos cuz I can't seem to find it. I really should know that but I'm afraid I don't. Thanks I hope you are right.

you'll need a dos or windows 98 bootdisk I think. um... www.bootdisk.com I think...?

yeah, that looks like it. first link there. get a fresh formatted 1.44MB floppy, and download and run the exe for the version you want (98SE probably is good). It will write the binary image to your floppy, which you can then boot with..

2 GIG get 40 or more they are not expensive.
What are you going to with 10 GIG (nothing!!)

i tried

PHATXUIQ said:
2 GIG get 40 or more they are not expensive.
What are you going to with 10 GIG (nothing!!)

^^ i tried, really if its a hd with 10gigs anyways my guess is its gonna run slower than a fat man with his shoe laces tied together.

Back