2 questions

Empty_Clip???

Reaction score
Hey guys, 2 questions.

1. What is the differents between fast vis and normal vis.
And how will it effect my map.

2. How do you make "thick" glass i have only been able to achieve paper thin..

Help, greatly appretiated.

:)

1) A hell of a lot. Fast VIS does a really quick'n'dirty pass at your map, with very little in the way of visibility information stored

2) Breakable glass is a surface rather than a brush, so you'd have to have two facing away from each other. However, that could cause problems if only one side gets broken. Non-breakable glass can be as thick as you like.

Just an added note on Fast VIS, I've found that pathing issues can arise when using it. I generally use no vis rather than fast, though this will become a problem as you start adding more geometry.

If you want dirtier glass, i.e. the one that doesn't break like the ones in office, you can still have it break like in HL1 and have it as thick as you'd like.

Another question..
How do you make prop_physics act like prop_statics so they cant be picked up cant be moved etc. As i wanna use a barricade model but it wont work if its a prop_static. And again.. thanks for the help :)

Check in the flags department. Loads of options. I have yet to play around with this myself though.

Dead Inside is right, check the flag that says "Disable Motion"

Vis

I'm not sure how familier you are with VIS in the first place, so just incase you dont know what it does. Vis creates a kind of map of your map that tells the game engine what cant be seen in sertain parts of the map. With out vis, half life engine would draw almost every single texture and brush infort of you, even if your standing in front of a wall. With vis full compile you will get much much better frame rate on your map, but the compile times can be brutal, thought, the cool thing is, you dont have to run vis again if your only changing entaties, becouse entaties, dont change the visibilty of your map. So once your brush work is done, you can move around your entatnies all you want with out having to redoo vis, and yet keep its benefits, the only down side to this is that a littile warning will apear when the map is ran on a server saying that a vis needs to be ran and that its not a fianl compile. hope it helps .

Back