2036 - Doomsday (no bullshit, real science)

Well?

• We are ****ed

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Its not going to hit earth

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • We will eventually prevent it with todays/future technology

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I dont believe it even exist (cuz im stupid and ignorant of scientific proof)

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
the 2.7 % is the year 2029, im talking about 2036

Well, that's kinda cool...ANOTHER asteroid scare. \o/

From the very page you linked
The pass on April 13, 2036 was also determined to carry little risk.

The Large Hadron Collider will kill us all before then.

Fingers crossed, because a vacuum metastability problem is perhaps the coolest way of ending the universe :D

-Angry Lawyer

Of course, I plan to create our future overlords, the Triffids before then. I'm sure they'll prevent such nonsense.

Interesting, regardless if it's true or not.

As for stopping it, I wonder how much damage it would cause were it to hit earth. Of course more damage if it hit a city, but say out in the middle of nowhere. Even with todays tech, I believe that were we needing to somehow destroy it, I feel we could.

-MRG

I'm still going to wait for us all to die during tomorrows attack.

(ecneics laer ,tihsllub on) yadsmooD - 6302

The Large Hadron Collider will kill us all before then.

Never been in a black hole before. Would the shrinking and slap mass gain kill a person immediately? Or slowly?

Never been in a black hole before. Would the shrinking and slap mass gain kill a person immediately? Or slowly?

I've been in a black hole several times and I can tell you from experience it's fast, but seems very slow due to time dilation.

Y'know, does it keep your shape the same? If it distorts time and practically shanks you from the four dimensions in under seconds, wouldn't you're initial size just shrink?

So, when you hit it -- would it be like a archaebacteria hitting a pebble?

Or an elephant hitting an asteroid?

Or, an elephant, that turns into liquid gack, then hits something?

Halp!

You instantly contract into a single point in time and space, while being stretched and destroyed over and over, until the endless pressure and desnsity overcome you and you are crushed into nothing. From outside the black hole, though, an observer would see you floating just inside the horizon zone, forever. So dense, it distorts even time itself.

You instantly contract into a single point in time and space, while being stretched and destroyed over and over, until the endless pressure and desnsity overcome you and you are crushed into nothing. From outside the black hole, though, an observer would see you floating just inside the horizon zone, forever. So dense, it distorts even time itself.
Hawkins reversed his theory on Black Holes recently.
http://www.space.com/news/hawking_bet_040716.html

i did, but my math sux and the news article i read about it was missleading.
I still don't get it. The article clearly states that it is 1/45000 chance that the asteroid was gonna hit, and yet you said it was "most likely" the impact would occur. That has nothing to to with math, unless you think 1/45000 is greater than 0.5.

Not trying to be an ass or anything, just wondering.

If we are going to be hit by an asteroid its not going 5to be from tu24 or apophis but more than likely an asteroid we wont know about until its hit the earth and done its damage and when it does its probable that the object will be quite small and any damage will be localised :p

However for an asteroid to be considered a planet killer on the size of the Chicxulub impactor it has to be considerably more massive than any earth orbit crossing rock yet discovered. Its highly likely we'll discover such a rock well in advance of any future orbit cross because they will be more than visible to asteroid spotting projects such as LINEAR aswell as the thousands of amateur astronomers worldwide.

[QUOTE='[Matt]However for an asteroid to be considered a planet killer on the size of the Chicxulub impactor it has to be considerably more massive than any earth orbit crossing rock yet discovered. Its highly likely we'll discover such a rock well in advance of any future orbit cross because they will be more than visible to asteroid spotting projects such as LINEAR aswell as the thousands of amateur astronomers worldwide.[/QUOTE]

What if it's an ANTIMATTER asteroid, eh? What happens then!?

However for an asteroid to be considered a planet killer on the size of the Chicxulub impactor it has to be considerably more massive than any earth orbit crossing rock yet discovered. Its highly likely we'll discover such a rock well in advance of any future orbit cross because they will be more than visible to asteroid spotting projects such as LINEAR aswell as the thousands of amateur astronomers worldwide.

I don't know if I should be comforted by that or not. We're all going to die whether we know about it or not :|

A weeks notice would be nice though, I suppose.

i hope you guys know that the asteroid isn't big... plus when it reaches ( if it ever does ) earth's atmosphere, it's going to shrink even more.

no worries here.

Who will you vote for candidate A or Candidate B (because you're stupid.)

I see what you did there.

But then, wouldn't it have dissolved into nothingness on the interstellar medium stuff?

-Angry Lawyer

Nuh-uh cause it's surrounded by, like, a neutronium shell which will only break on impact so there.

Asteroid scares are like the little boy who cried wolf, nobody cares about them anymore and when a real one does come to wipe us all out we will be doomed

Back