3D Max question now :)

Wilco

Reaction score
Okay given up on XSI, 3DSMax has a lot more tutorials about it :)

1 question tho, how do I split a polygon in 2? So that theres an edge down the middle of it. I suppose u have to use the 2 edges of the polygon u want but i can't find the right tool to do it.

eh ??

y do u want to spit it into 2 ?? its already in two. just select the faces tab instead of polygons, that selects only /\'s

is there not a simple tool to split it down the middle, I dunno how 2 use the cutting tool :p

It tells you how to do this in the modelling a low-poly spaceship tutorial thing, on the building the engines bit, very near the begining.

EDIT: The tutorial is one of the ones included with Max, incase you didn't know

ooh ta :)

Okay in the Max Help files it shows Rollouts such as edit polygon / element but these dont appear in my modify toolbar on the right? How do I get this to appear? As theres a "remove" tool which is used to combine 2 polygons.

Have you converted it to an editable mesh/poly ect., because as a basic box, it won't have the rollouts, if you look back in the tut, it should say at some point convert to ..................
If you have, then to see the layers (and I think that's what you're talking about), you just click the little plus thing next to the name of the object.

convert to editable poly then select the 2 edges, right-click and connect

Below is the rollout im looking for...

ta for the other answers :)

I sent you a PM, if you want more help, PM or e-mail me and I'll try to help, although I'm not very experienced.

3d studio max still and always will have the best low poly tools.

Originally posted by Hydrac
3d studio max still and always will have the best low poly tools.
Anyone else that can confirm this? I recently got called by a Maya employee and he told me that Maya was 2 years ahead of Max in terms of technology and possibilities.

Now that's probably PR talk but hey.. :cool:

Max, Maya, XSI and Lightwave are on the top of modeling. I would say one is better because its all about personall taste to the program. I would say by personall experience that Maya is best for High Poly models where max excell in both areas. So my personall taste goes to Max for its easy to use interface and customizability. Maya and Max are allways been strong in the 3D industry. You can do awsome thing in any 3D program if you got enough experience.

PR guys just wants to sell shit, so they talk good about the things they work for.

You dont think there was a good reason Valve chose to switch to XSI mid-pipeline? That sort of a switch is very risky and there has to be a very good reason...and it wasnt money, switching softwares mid-project is not cheap. Personal taste? Would you put at risk a huge project like this is if were really just a matter of personal taste? Experience? The team were working in MAX, so they had experience in MAX, but none in XSI...

As to high res poly modelling, I'd ask you to create a Poly/SubD model of 1.5m+ triangles in Max, Lightwave, Maya and XSI and see which you can still model and animate in at the end.

As for low res poly modelling, what are the tools you use that are very specific to low res? In my experience, most high res modelling needs the same toolset as low res, but simply more scaleable, but that is only in my experience. I do question the wisdom of saying XYZ will always have the best yaddayadda, because things change. Also looking at the development of games, low res is less and less of importance. Remember that if you are going to be normal mapping, you are going to have to build a high res fully detailed model too....

I agree about PR guys, but what you want to do is look beyond the PR and see what the grain of truth is. Maya IS two years ahead of MAX in terms of architecture, it was released 2 years or so later.... by the same argumentation XSI is 3 years ahead of Maya and 5 years ahead of MAX :) (and 9 years ahead of lightwave or so?) But that is silly argumentation, because just because I release a software now, doesnt mean i am ahead of everyone else. It is true that the older an architecture is, the more problems come with it, especially in keeping up development pace.

just my .02 cents

Cheers,
Aike

Back