3dmax 6 or XSI For Halflife 2 and regular models?

mayro

Reaction score
Im just starting to get into modeling and with their being some many choices for modeling programs to use i just wanted to get a heads up from everyone before i buckle down and learn one of these.

Im currently attending college and they have those student versions of maya and 3ds max and i know XSI halflife edition is free.

I want ease of use and power, what can give me both? Ive played around with 3ds max and yes it does seem a bit overwhelming now, but with halflife 2 comeing soon i wanted to start makeing some models :)

Any advice?

I have always found 3dsmax to be quite easy but have problems with other programs, the possibilities and the power of 3dsmax is pretty much endless and only limited by the user. To try out 3dsmax, go to the Discreet website, www.discreet.com, and download Gmax which is a free version of it.

Wait... He has 3ds max. He doesn't need to get Gmax.... :O

I might be wrong but I think you may need to use XSI for some bits in the process of implementing models into the game (would appreciate being corrected if I'm wrong). So having an understanding (at least in the appropriate areas) of XSI would be good. But you can do all your modelling etc. in max and then import into XSI, so you might be better off doing that, since you have the full version of max anyway.

I think valve mentioned they will be releasing the app for 3Ds max around the SDK launch, in order to convert the .3ds files into source readable format. :) which is very good news for 3ds max users, and modmakers alike.

yeah, ive been using Max for a while now, and when i went into XSI HL2, i was almost sick. i hated the layout and how you had to select the transform gizmos. i uninstalled it right away, but im not sure what it would be like to someone actually trying to learn it :p

what have you been using to 'get into modelling', cause you should probably stick with that...seems logical ;)

PS. i think a student version of Max will get you a lot further than the HL2 version of XSI.

The Thing said:
Wait... He has 3ds max. He doesn't need to get Gmax.... :O

I thought he ment that he had played around with it at college but not at home.

u can convert .3ds files into .xsi file and export from xsi as a .smd file which can be viewed in the hl model veiwer, thats kinda a long way but until valve releases the export for 3dmax directly to the valve format thats what u can do...

yes, but we wont be doing any modding until they bring out the game and tools now will we :p

I went ahead and got the student learning addition of 3ds max. Ive been doing the tutorials and so far the best thing i can do is take a qube and give it alot of vertacise so i can basicaly move them where ever i want. The way i have been modeling so far is useing the place a bmp in the left window and then just moveing all the points to the edges :).

youl get allot of more help on 3ds than xsi, theres allot of scripts shaders etc etc etc, which u wont find it so easely on xsi

also, the student version 3dsmax is excatly the same as the commercial one.. you are just not allowed to make money of it ;)

A Student version of XSI V4 (all features of full software, only you cant use it to sell any work) is around 145$ i believe, you get cloth sim, Rigid body dynamics, and more tools then you can shake a stick at :p.

3D max is done with architecture cad\cam software in mind, XSI is done for artists and inovators. play around with both and you'll see.

mayro said:
The way i have been modeling so far is useing the place a bmp in the left window and then just moveing all the points to the edges :).

thats much quicker than poly modelling, cept what you describe sounds kinda the same as your old method.

RMachucaA said:
3D max is done with architecture cad\cam software in mind, XSI is done for artists and inovators. play around with both and you'll see.

I would not say that to be true. Yes, 3dsmax is a good tool for architecture cad/cam, but thats not the only thing. I have tried most of the other big programs, including XSI, but I always return to MAX. 3dsmax is also one of the biggest names when it comes to games.. all that said, its not the tools that makes art, its you. Try as many as possible and stick to the one you like. :)

Back