4 Player multiplayer!

Wilco

Reaction score
No, its not HL2, its Doom3.

Now I gather that Doom3 vs HL2 is a very contentious issue around here. But this would seem to make HL2 stand out.

I can't see many mods based on 4 players. It looks like HL2 will still be going well after Doom 3. Another reason to celebrate really.

This info was taken from Gamespy Coverage of QuakeCon.

I'm not too impressed with Doom 3 anyways. what else is Doom 3 suppose to offer other than snazzy graphics(which HL2 already seems to have already covered)?

Oh an unsuprisingly Q4 using this Engine is going Singleplayer :)

got a point..

but i love both games

1) doom gonna be more scary, dark, blood fest hell, graphics

2) hl2 GAMEPLAY, best phsics, fun, long and AI BEST BEST, plus realism.

i am goin to buy both enjoy both, and hl2 will win but doom3 will still be there in second

Originally posted by Arrowhead
I'm not too impressed with Doom 3 anyways. what else is Doom 3 suppose to offer other than snazzy graphics(which HL2 already seems to have already covered)?
Top-class physics engine. More importantly, a good base for other people to make different games on (for me, most id games are no-brainer shoot em'ups with clever 3d engines tacked on, but someone will do something special with it).

I think we're forgetting Final Fantasy 7 is the game of all time. So technically HL2 comes in second, and DOOM3 in third.

and wee all think that was sum bait to start a flame war cause EVERYBODY HATES FF7 except for people who play dungeons and dragons and go StarTrek Conventions. j/k FF7 was ok, but HL2 will pwn j'all!!!!11

Originally posted by guinny
I think we're forgetting Final Fantasy 7 is the game of all time. So technically HL2 comes in second, and DOOM3 in third.

Its a whole different genre, so hl2 and doom 3 are 1 and 2 in FPS.

hl 2 = windows only :/
doom 3 = windows, linux etc.

Originally posted by Wilco
I can't see many mods based on 4 players. It looks like HL2 will still be going well after Doom 3. Another reason to celebrate really.
I don't believe that the engine at least will be restricted that way. I'm sure I've read Carmack quoted as saying something to the effect of 'we're game developers, not engine developers' - but I don't believe that ID are oblivious to the possibilities of selling the engine.

It could be a technical restriction, but that seems odd - CPU/GPU/network speeds are only going up. It's possible, I guess.

My 0.02$ is that it's a gameplay feature, not an engine limitation. They're going for slow, scary and sneaky and it just works better with 4.

Thats because leet haxorz use windows!!!

and HL-2 is the most leetiest haxxor game!!!

I think Id is just going to try and milk more money out of people for expansion packs which actually adds in a decent MP. No one is going to give a crap about 4 players. Hell, No One Lives Forever 2 was intended to ONLY be single player but a better multiplayer than that got patched on anyways. I guess it's possible it'll be the same with D3, but I'm guessing they're gonna make you buy an expansion.

Then theres also the possibility that its nearly impossible to develop decent netcode for an engine like D3 and it just can't support any more than 4 players at all, which means you'll be stuck with that until Quake 4.

hey its fun every once in awhile to shoot every goddamn thing in sight, thats when u play doom3. when u want tatics, realism, AI, physics, ect ect, u go to hl2. im not one a side for which one is gona be beter cus im gona buy both, theres no point to be on a side if u buy it. BUT there will be better multiplayer, and of course we all know its gona be hl2 standing on top.

Anyone know how popular pure HL multiplayer is anyway (that is, not CS or TF2)?

well who cares, cause we all know how pop hl2 multiplayer will be!!!! :) ;) :) ;)

i mean they must be keeping it secret for somethin!!?

Perhaps Valve aren't the best judges of what constitutes good MP. The *logical* thing for them to do is to make it just like CS is...

First off, Doom3 multiplayer isn't arbitrarily restricted to four players -- it's a design decision by the D3 team, and it's been said that players will be able to make maps for more than four people, if they wish.

However, D3 multiplayer is a whole different animal from HL2 multiplayer. D3 multi is the multiplayer version of Doom3. That sounds silly, but think about it -- Doom3 is based around tight corridors, cramped spaces, and dark shadows. This means a 32 player fragfest simply doesn't fit. Rather, a tight, small fight is much more appropriate.

D3 multiplayer is pretty fun. I can say this, because I played it yesterday (yay Quakecon D3 multiplayer demo :D). It's currently unbalanced weapon-wise (the shotgun and plasmagun own all, the pistol is just sad), and I didn't really like the map, but it was fun. And gorgeous. And atmospheric. It was, in short, what multiplayer in a dark, gloomy game should be.

HL2 multiplayer will be more traditional run-and-gun, and it will attract the masses more than D3's multiplayer, but I forsee D3 multiplayer getting a small group of hardcore fans because it's just a little different.

Originally posted by koopa
Perhaps Valve aren't the best judges of what constitutes good MP. The *logical* thing for them to do is to make it just like CS is...

That's not at all logical, that's just wishful thinking.

{ regarding HL2 MP being like CS }

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
That's not at all logical, that's just wishful thinking.
Not by me, I don't like CS. But a heck of a lot more people play CS than pure HL. Why wouldn't they make it CS-style?

I hope they don't though.

They have DoD and CS dev teams on board. I have a subtle feeling they have a little experience in the MP field.

Also what possible benefit does limiting MP to 4 players give? Okay they might not want to make a good MP, but why purposfully limit the quality, if the Engine intrinsically do better, then they designed it to do better.

Originally posted by Rabid Llama
HL2 multiplayer will be more traditional run-and-gun, and it will attract the masses more than D3's multiplayer, but I forsee D3 multiplayer getting a small group of hardcore fans because it's just a little different.

who said hl2 mp will be tradition run and shoot?

Eveyone's an expert, hey?

The only person's opinion that counts here is Rabid Llama's, because he has played D3 MP, but he hasn't played HL2 MP so he can't really comment on that.

I personally agree with him on the small group of hardcore fans, because that is what Doom2 has at the moment, a small bunch of hardcore fans, based on the fact that Doom2 also had a 4 player limit. I think some new source codes bumped it up a little, but servers rarely have more than players, because it's the style of gameplay that it had. Small groups for co-op, small groups for DM. It was more personal and friendly, which is what they're aiming for as far as i can tell.

heh. I dont care if its 1v1 or 2v2, if its fun then its fine by me. So yea, the Doom3 MP out of the box will be on a smaller scale than other games, but everyone who has played it and reported on it has said it was a fun experience. You people on this hl2 forum can go on all day about how much it sucks, but your opinions dont mean shit until you have played it.

So ill go by the reports of people who have actually played it, and they all enjoyed it.

I dont really care that its on a smaller scale since i prefer going head to head in any game i play. Strategic team based games have their moments, but as far as im concerned nothing beats a good 1v1 duel.

Anyway, picking sides is pointless. Your just denying yourself the chance to play a game you would probably enjoy playing if you werent too busy yapping on a forum somewhere about how it only has 4 player MP.

Originally posted by Wilco
Oh an unsuprisingly Q4 using this Engine is going Singleplayer :)

and.. multiplayer..... you see DOOMS engine is the q4 engine that will be the next big engine from id its not the DOOM engine to me because im assumeing QUAKE IV is going to be what has them mods and mp support

as well as a awesome follow up sp to quake II

the 4 player isnt a limitation of the doom 3 engine.... its just thats all that it shipping with the game on release...

And to anyone who thinks the DOom3 engine is incapable of more than 4 players, i guess you havnt heard of the large scale MP game that Nerve is doing with the engine.

{ regarding HL2 MP being like CS }

Not by me, I don't like CS. But a heck of a lot more people play CS than pure HL. Why wouldn't they make it CS-style?

I hope they don't though.

I'm sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you meant that they were going to include CS2 with HL2. I did not understand that you actually meant CS style. Well yes you could be right. And I hope you are, I'm a CS fan by the way :)

for me I don't care if it was 4 players or one, both games going to rock. only hl2 got advantage over d3 in one section, the game play, its more freindly and easy to explore. :cheers:

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
I'm sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you meant that they were going to include CS2 with HL2. I did not understand that you actually meant CS style. Well yes you could be right. And I hope you are, I'm a CS fan by the way :)
My mistake, I should have been clearer in the first place :)

Is the Doom3 engine suited for large areas at all? Because to have more than about eight people, you need some pretty big areas, and Doom3 has such high system requirements for just hallways and tunnels that having even Quake3-sized areas (or worse, UT2k3-sized areas) seems like it'd require an absolute beast of a computer.

In any event, I'll probably end up buying Doom3, as the multiplayer was fun enough to warrant my $50. On the other hand, I'm DEFINITELY buying HL2, collectors edition, pre-ordered. I think it's obvious where my preference lies :D

IMO I like both huge 32 vs 32 games and small 4 vs 4 games right now on the games I play.

When I'm in the mood for some hectic killing fest, I play the big games, when I want smaller more strategic and easier to manage multiplayer, I play the small games.

If you have 64 player regular deathmatch, it's gonna get boring after a while.

If you have 4 player deathmatch with some interesting twists, or objectives, it can be very fun.

It's not how many players there are, but what those players do.

Doom III's engine is definately capable of bigger numbers of players and bigger maps, but just not very well at this point in time, that's why Quake 4, will be coming later in 2004.

If you guys havent seen this here is something about the MP from Gamespot they just recently put out

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/preview_6073440.html

I thought this was a good quote:
"Though it doesn't seem revolutionary at this point, Doom 3's deathmatch seems extremely playable. However, we played the game on high-end PCs equipped with Nvidia's GeForce FX 5900 cards, and the demonstration ran at 640x480 resolution with only four players. How well the game will support larger multiplayer sessions, especially at higher graphical settings, remains to be seen."

Re: Re: 4 Player multiplayer!

I don't believe that the engine at least will be restricted that way. I'm sure I've read Carmack quoted as saying something to the effect of 'we're game developers, not engine developers' - but I don't believe that ID are oblivious to the possibilities of selling the engine.

It could be a technical restriction, but that seems odd - CPU/GPU/network speeds are only going up. It's possible, I guess.

My 0.02$ is that it's a gameplay feature, not an engine limitation. They're going for slow, scary and sneaky and it just works better with 4.

That's exactly what I am thinking. Doom 3 multiplay is supposed to be scary. Look at Doom itself, its gonna scare the crap outa me to the point where I'll have to buy adult diapers just to play. Doom multi with too many people ruins the scare factor of the game. It obviously is a design decision, not an engine limitation. If they are going to make a Quake IV with this engine, then it can obviously support more than 4 people at one time.

:thumbs:

Re: Re: Re: 4 Player multiplayer!

Originally posted by Anthraxxx
That's exactly what I am thinking. Doom 3 multiplay is supposed to be scary. Look at Doom itself, its gonna scare the crap outa me to the point where I'll have to buy adult diapers just to play. Doom multi with too many people ruins the scare factor of the game. It obviously is a design decision, not an engine limitation. If they are going to make a Quake IV with this engine, then it can obviously support more than 4 people at one time.

:thumbs:

Actually it's a limitation due to actual p2p code in the engine. It is a HUGE pain in the ass to change since most of the code incorporates it. So D3 and Q4 are both going to allow a max of 4 players in mp.

People were talking about this on Raven's forums (re: Quake 4) a long time ago. Sad but true.

Well I'm perfectly happy with Source being the MP engine of choice for the next 3 years.

Back