56k or cable??????????????

C

cookie123

will HL2 run on 56k or will we need cable? i need to know b4 i go n purchase a radeon pro... :bounce:

What video card are you going to purchase?

If you have a 56 K connection, I would recommend that you buy HL2 through a store rather than messing with Steam.

Cable would be much more convenient for any game simply due to updates and MP gaming. HL2 doesn't "run" on either, but you can expect the same pings that you got in HL1 and CS for HL2 MP (TBD).

I have a 56k, sometimes its a real asshole and lags heaps other times its fine with my rates set quite high. HL2 netcode is serposed to be better than HLs isnt it?

when i say hl2 i mean the cs mod. like CS was playable on 56k but with all these new textures will the game work like on an 8 vs 8 map on 56k?

what graphics card do u guys recommend? i got a 1.8Ghz intel P4 256 Rdram (needs to be upgraded soon also).. radeon 9600 pro is good?

iD software put this great little piece of info in the Doom 3 manual....in bold red.

Doom3 REQUIRES A BROADBAND INTERNET CONNECTION (E.G,DSL,CABLE MODEM, T1, ETC). IF you connect to the Internet using a dial-up modem, Doom 3 mulitplayer will not function properly.

But instead Valve will convince people 56k will be fine. There they'll sit on steam downloading things for days at a time when when it's finally ready get to play with 400 ping and hundreds of net_send packet errors these 56k users will not be happy chaps.

I have a 56k, sometimes its a real asshole and lags heaps other times its fine with my rates set quite high. HL2 netcode is serposed to be better than HLs isnt it?
Source engine is slightly higher than Half-Life 1 engine in terms of bandwidth consumption.
http://www.hl2fallout.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2032

cookie123 said:
when i say hl2 i mean the cs mod. like CS was playable on 56k but with all these new textures will the game work like on an 8 vs 8 map on 56k?

what graphics card do u guys recommend? i got a 1.8Ghz intel P4 256 Rdram (needs to be upgraded soon also).. radeon 9600 pro is good?

1) Do you have a budget?
2) Are you a casual gamer or will only playing Half-Life 2 (and it mods and CS:S)?

If you answer yes to either of those questions, the 9600 Pro is meant for you.

If you answer no to either of those questions, take a look at a 9800 Pro that costs around $200 (www.newegg.com). If you have a Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. you may need to upgrade your powersupply on top of buying a 9800 pro (you don't have to upgrade your power supply with a 9600 Pro).

As for multiplayer, I don't know. *It appears* that Valve wants everybody to be on broadband internet. CS:S and HL2 may work on 56 K but nobody knows for sure.

Let's clear some things up. Your internet connection has nothing to do with textures and graphics in games. That requires some nice RAM, a good processor, and a good video card.

What video card do you have now? If you have something that can hold out for a little longer, I'd upgrade to cable so you can play MP smoothly, but if you have something really old, like a Ti400 or 9000, upgrade both as soon as possible. What are your current system specs.?

If you can't get any kind of broadband in your area... do what I do.

Sign up for another phoneline, find a multilink ISP, buy another modem, and connect at 112k. I can play on 32 player servers just fine now, and anything below that is perfect (other than the latency, but that doesn't really affect the smoothness of the gameplay).

BTW: TO ALL YOU ****ING ASSHOLES THAT THINK A HIGH PING MEANS A LAGGY EXPERIENCE FOR YOU.. WITH THE HL NETCODE, EACH CLIENT IS NOT DEPENDENT ON ALL THE OTHER CLIENTS' PINGS... MOTHER ****ERS I HATE IT WHEN I GET KICKED JUST FOR HAVING A SEMI-HIGH PING (like 180-200) AND ZERO PACKETLOSS AND ZERO CHOKE...

Im glad I got that out.. just spread the ****ing word.

sounds like he can get cable, just from him asking us whether to make it a priority over a new video card.

Two words, or seven, really: GET CABLE.

Paintballer said:
BTW: TO ALL YOU ****ING ASSHOLES THAT THINK A HIGH PING MEANS A LAGGY EXPERIENCE FOR YOU.. WITH THE HL NETCODE, EACH CLIENT IS NOT DEPENDENT ON ALL THE OTHER CLIENTS' PINGS... MOTHER ****ERS I HATE IT WHEN I GET KICKED JUST FOR HAVING A SEMI-HIGH PING (like 180-200) AND ZERO PACKETLOSS AND ZERO CHOKE...

Im glad I got that out.. just spread the ****ing word.

I tried explaining that once and was banned (er not here, in another game) :p

I would prioritise the card, simply because you don't have to play MP but you need a good card to play either MP or SP. HL2 will run on 56k and VAVLe have said that MP performance WILL be IMPROVED over HL1 due to refined netcode. You might want to join a clan and use a fast speed server.

I can't get broadband either, i'll look into that second phoneline!

cookie123 said:
will HL2 run on 56k or will we need cable? i need to know b4 i go n purchase a radeon pro... :bounce:

Cable modems run about 10 times faster then a 56k, so unless you like being called a speed hax0R in servers and be banned from atleast half of them you should get Cable :afro:

Lag has no effect on the server, but if you've played any internet game and someone is jumping all around your screen in no real order, you get pretty pissed off ;)

Back