64 Bit Edition

blackeye

Reaction score
Does anyone know when winxp 64 bit will be released. Im using a stolen win xp right now and want know if i should buy it legally or just wait and buy the 64 bit edition.

your computer will explode in 5 seconds.

Microsoft has it locked on.

WinXP 64 beta is available to the public for free.

WinXP 64 will be out later this year.

blackeye said:
Does anyone know when winxp 64 bit will be released. Im using a stolen win xp right now and want know if i should buy it legally or just wait and buy the 64 bit edition.

Do you have a 64-bit CPU (ala Athlon 64) or plan on getting one anytime before Microsoft's next OS (Longhorn), because if not then don't bother with WinXP 64.

Not meaning to hijack this thread at all, but is the Windows XP 64 Bit Edition supposed to run faster than the standard 32 bit edition when using a 64bit CPU? From the results I've seen so far, all games run considerably SLOWER on the new XP64, but then again it's not complete.

Then IDK what you've seen umop. All games run blazingly faster on xp and fx series of amd64 than on regular 32 bit systems.

I was asking if the performance of the new Windows XP64 is faster than standard WindowsXP (32 bit). I own an Athlon64 3200+, I know how it performs lol.

Also, it's not "AMD AthlonXP 64" it's just Athlon 64.

You can expect performance to vary. Most apps will run ~the same while others will increase in performance.
Performance doesn't always mean speed though.
It could just mean for allowing more complex instructions but no increase in time or FPS.
The reason game performance is low can be easily blamed on the beta 64bit drivers for all the devices.
A program that takes no advantage of 64bit will perform ~the same.
A program that takes advantage of 64 will be able to proccess a lot more info and, for things like Divx encoding, there will be a big speed increase.

The big thing with 64bit is virtual memory, though.

Do you have a 64-bit CPU (ala Athlon 64) or plan on getting one anytime before Microsoft's next OS (Longhorn), because if not then don't bother with WinXP 64.
Ya im looking at buying one this weekend. It a graduation present but i still have to pay for part of it

So asus, in english, what you just said is basically the amd64 (all series of it), are the same in terms of performance possibly faster. but they are faster when 64 bit software is being used on it? or something...or...::brain explodes::

blackeye said:
Ya im looking at buying one this weekend. It a graduation present but i still have to pay for part of it

If you're getting a 64-bit CPU it would probably be worth it to spend your money on a 64-bit OS. But then again if you need an OS right away, then just grab XP Home OEM for cheap.

Back