64 Bit

Pressure

Reaction score
Would it be better to wait for the 64-Bit OS's and mobo and such or just buy a new computer now.

Originally posted by Pressure
Would it be better to wait for the 64-Bit OS's and mobo and such or just buy a new computer now.

just buy now, the first wave of 64bit shit won't be upto snub, and if you buy it bleeding edge you'll regret it, i'd get the best you can now and then just ride the wave, plus if you wait, then you might end up waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting forever, because theres always gonna be something new on the horizon.

right now, the ONLY practical uses for 64 bit OSes and processors is for workstation comps and such where they acutally can utilize it doing the huge amount of number crunching and rendering that they do

64 bit apps probably won't be seeing much practical use (games) until the end of 2004 or possibly later

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
did you see my thread? its pretty much the same exact thing gg loser

you need to go outside once and a while.....

oh, really? When he made this thread i had made the EXACT same one about 10 min before, and it was at the top of the first page. So just because it isnt there now dosnt mean i lied or flammed him for no reason...

Here is the thing. There is more preformace advantages for the athlon 64 than just the 64 bit. One major factor is that the athlon 64 features a 1 mb L2 cache. Also the motherboards will have more options.

to bad i still feel that you should wait. If you buy now, you will regret it 6 months from now. unless your computer is horrible i would wait till after christmas to buy. by then prices will be down and you should be able to get a good athlon 64 cpu up and running.

yeah, but you probably won't see any athlon64s until sometime next year, right now, they're all opterons, which are super expensive

I'm confused why Munro edited my post? Ridic called the guy a loser, so I told Ridic not to be an asshole and asked where his thread on the same topic was.

And to remain diligently on topic..

I've heard that the new Prescott core for the Pentium 4 will have 64-bit addressing. It would be interesting if AMD's little edge disappeared.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
oh, really? When he made this thread i had made the EXACT same one about 10 min before, and it was at the top of the first page. So just because it isnt there now dosnt mean i lied or flammed him for no reason...

No...it's pretty aparent your reason was you wanted your thread to get the attention and not his.

Childish if you ask me.

Originally posted by pinkerton
Here is the thing. There is more preformace advantages for the athlon 64 than just the 64 bit. One major factor is that the athlon 64 features a 1 mb L2 cache. Also the motherboards will have more options.

to bad i still feel that you should wait. If you buy now, you will regret it 6 months from now. unless your computer is horrible i would wait till after christmas to buy. by then prices will be down and you should be able to get a good athlon 64 cpu up and running.

Right now we have a dual CPU sledgehammer sitting on the floor in front of me. It's should have about 8 times the processing power of a dual 3GHz XEON.

It's also useless, as we have no windows OS to use it with, and the 64 bit nix OS doesnt do DX3D or Ogl.

What I am trying to say is, just because it's new cutting edge...it's not for every one to jump in and start playing on...its not anywhere near that stage yet, and by the time it reaches that stage...prices will be so low it will be worth it, but thats still some time away from now.

How the hell do you figure a dual opteron has 8x the cpu power of a dual 3.06 xeon?

Originally posted by BBA
No...it's pretty aparent your reason was you wanted your thread to get the attention and not his.

Childish if you ask me.

childish???? Please just leave....just leave BBa. WHY would he make the same exact thread as me 15 min after????? hes blind or something. You dont need 2 threads of the SAME thing to ask 2 of the SAME questions.

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
Ridic you sure like to flame alot.

Ok, i see. Everyone else is alowed to talk shit when the same thread is made more than once, except im not. Ok, makes sense.

Back