7900GS, cpu voltage, and case cooling help needed...

Reaction score
I just got an XFX 7900gs 256mb (525/1550mhz stock), and it's running at 60c idle and about 65-70c load on stock cooling, is that normal?

(My 3d Fuzion 7600gs 256mb (500/900mhz OCed) that I upgraded from, ran at about 40c idle, and about 45-50c load.)

Also, I've tried the 7900gs out in Oblivion, Quake 3 Arena, and Battlefield 2142, and I didn't notice any real increase in FPS with it over my old 7600gs, is there a problem somewhere?

------------------

What's the stock voltage for an Opteron 144? And what are the lowest (completely safe/stable) voltages it can be set at while overclocked (lets say, 2.4, 2.6, and 2.8ghz?)?

My PC is getting a little too warm since I installed a new GPU (CPU is currently at 49c idle, and about 55c load, was at about 40c idle, and about 46c before upgrading the GPU and reversing the fan). I want to get the temperature down a little until I can get a better fan/thermal paste.

My CPU was set at 2.8ghz at 1.4v with stock cooling. I set it down to 2.45ghz at 1.35v for now.

My system:
Windows XP SP2
Forceware 93.71 (same drivers that I had with my 7600gs)

AMD Opteron 144 @ 2.8ghz (currently at 2.45ghz)
XFX 7900gs 256mb @ 525/1550mhz (stock)
Corsair 2x512mb DDR400
WD Caviar 160GB SATA HDD

1) Stock voltage for an Opteron 144 depends on the OPN Character.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30417.pdf
2) Normal Operating Temps For The Opteron 144.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30417.pdf
3)As for the temps on your 7900gs, how is the venting on your case? Unless you have suffecient fans moving air in and out, the single stock cooler on the video card won't keep it cool in an enclosed case. From the XFX forums, I was reading that temps around what you have are normal. Keep in mind that if you OC your card, it'll raise the temps. You might think about buying an aftermarket Video Card cooler. They do wonders. I have the one listed in the below link, except for the 6800 Ultra. Dropped my temps quite a bit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185124

Listing of Video card Coolers.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=576&name=VGA-Cooling

-MRG

I have two case fans, one on front blowing in, one on back sucking out, with the fan on the PSU sucking out.

I then reversed the rear when I did the upgrade fan because I thought with two fans blowing in would cool better, I just put it back and the temperatures went back down, the 7900gs is 50c idle, about 56-58c load, and the CPU is back to 40c idle.

I'll get an extra case fan for the door (are there any case fans where the power cord can be detached from the fan instead of the motherboard?), which would be right over the CPU, and a PCI slot fan right below the GPU.

Also, do CPU and GPU fans blow out away from them, or on to them?

They blow away.

I'd also suggest turning your fans back the way they were. I understand your logic, but a cool stream of air through the case provides more cooling that warm air trapped inside of the case.

I did, made a 10c difference.

They blow away.
Then a door fan, being over the CPU, would work best sucking out? (same thing with a PCI slot fan, would work better sucking air from the GPU?)

dont worry about temp unless they go over 80, they dont effect performance dramatically until the 80+ or the high 70s, but it depends on your system of course

I'd also suggest turning your fans back the way they were. I understand your logic, but a cool stream of air through the case provides more cooling that warm air trapped inside of the case.

Very well said & totally correct.

I must be misunderstanding your question about the GPU & CPU fans. They blow air onto the heatsinks, not away from them. They are not in a confined enough space to create a vacuume which would wick away heat. Thats also why I prefer a cooler that blows air horazontaly against the heatsinks, that way, the already hot air isn't being blown back onto the heatsink. Also if you can a fan blowing in the back which sucks in cooler air (Remember heat rises) and then the horazontal fan sucks the cooler air and then blows it against the heatsink, that provides better cooling performance.

It's also wise to have a fan suck heat out from the top. Don't rely souly on the Fan in the PSU. Either buy a better designed case or custom add a top vent.

You could always have one of those small portable room A/C units and have it facing the side of your case, flowing chilled air onto your hardware, only be careful that condensation does not build up. A fine line, but a great way to cool both you and your PC. :)

-MRG

In one of my old cases, I had fans everywhere; two in the front, one on top, one on the side, and one in the back. I removed all but the front and back fans and achieved cooler temperatures.

MRG is correct. The A/C unit can help. Usually what you can do is just have the unit in the same room as the PC, and it'll cool it down; as long as the cool air is reaching the PC, it doesn't matter where the unit is. I personally wouldn't trust myself enough to place it directly onto the case.

Honestly, your temperatures aren't that high to be worried. Like Ktime said, the lower 80s is when you want to be doing something about it. My GPU (7800GT) is idling at 50F so yours isn't that high. Your CPU is running a bit hot, but I'm not sure how hot Opterons run at.

My 8800s run GPU-1 84 and GPU-2 72 at idle, my OCed 5600+ run 34 idle (In -30 degrees basement) Believe me your temp. is very well OK.

How hot do you think the 7900 gs could get before it started being dangerous for it?

Back