Need help with new dual core CPU...

My XFX CD has 91.47, tried it but it didn't fix it.

I'll try those next. (edit: Would there be a problem since the 7900 gs isn't listed as a supported card on that Forceware?)

Would it help to see what driver versions XFX has on their site?

Additionally try looking in event viewer under control panel. Are there any errors listed there in regards to this?

I just noticed an error that was recorded when it froze, though it's not recorded every time it freezes in dual core mode:
errorot0.jpg

(Why don't images show up in this forum?)

So that error occured exactly when it crashed? That error is associated with your CPU's driver and how its trying to access RDTSC.

Have you downloaded all the windows service packs? I know it seems like a long shot but this could have something to do with it. I am not too familiar with the dual core amd processors (woodcrest FTW!) but I think there is an optomized you need to download from AMD, have you done that? In addition, get all the latest AMD drivers.

That was recorded as hapenning at the same time it froze, but it's not recorded everytime it freezes, it's only recorded happening in about 1/4 of the freezes.

I have SP2 (installed with XP), and all Windows updates, the latest AMD Dual Core drivers, and the AMD Dual Core Optimizer.

That was recorded as hapenning at the same time it froze, but it's not recorded everytime it freezes, it's only recorded happening in about 1/4 of the freezes.

I have SP2 (installed with XP), and all Windows updates, the latest AMD Dual Core drivers, and the AMD Dual Core Optimizer.

It wont show up every time as a lot of times the system will crash before an event can be created.

Do you have the .net frame work installed? Try installing the latest version, 2.0. As a last ditch effort try contacting AMD support with that exact error, they could tell you more about it than I could.

Also, when you don't have the video card drivers installed does windows still recongize the video card and uses its own drivers? Does it not crash then?

Yeah, Windows uses the default vga/whatever drivers when I have the Forceware drivers uninstalled, it doesn't freeze with dual core on when they're uninstalled.

Go into "Windows Event Viewer" and check whats causing the crash.
Your HT Link is little high 1005.2MHz try bringing memory/multiplier down just a notch (Not a biggie but see if it helps)
When installing video driver (Though I think you already know this) uninstall older driver first, reboot, disable inti virus and spyware programs; before installing new driver.
Whether single or dual cores if you change CPU (Upgrade/downgrade) you do not need to reinstall Windows unless you're extremely unlucky fella , but reset Cmos and BIOS (Clear) back to their original settings.
To set modules "dual-channel"; memory channel A and B must be used.
Example: A1 and B1 should be used, not A1 and A2 slots.

Good Luck.

Already did all that before. And my motherboard doesn't support dual channel with only 2 of these sticks, 4 of these sticks are required for dual channel.

Back