9800 pro drivers

lotusboy101

Reaction score
I posted the following in the hardware threads and got no response, so please help me out with this one somebody!:

hey all of you 9800 pro guys! I just got the exact same card for my system. I need some good advice on what drivers to get though. The manual says to update my chipset drivers before installing the ATI ones, so I did all this crap trying to figure out my chipset and it's confusing. I have a cheap Emachines computer, model is T2341. It has an AMD athlon XP 2400+ processor. the computer says the chipset is a VIA KT266/A or something like that. So I have gone to all three sites and can't decide which has the correct drivers. Should I go to AMD, Emachines, or VIAs site? I don't want to ruin my system one day before HL2 releases! HELP!

I dunno they usually give me +10 fps over not having them on my machine

Don't bother with Omega drivers - more trouble than they're worth. If they do work, you're lucky to see an extra 4 fps. If they don't work, they're a headache.

well the reason I worry about chipset drivers is because the manual and the ATI help online says:

if your graphics card has an AGP bus, you MUST do the following BEFORE replacing your current graphics card with your new ATI card: Not only do you need display drivers for an AGP card, but you also need drivers for your motherboard, which enable AGP functionality for the mobo chipset.

what does that mean?

by the way, thanks for all your help guys. I was getting zero response in the hardware/help thread. lol

Meh... Omega drivers didnt give much of an FPS boost at all, and lowered my FPS in Half-Life (and mods).

Unoffical = teh sux

aeroripper said:
Go download the ati catalysts

The newest (official and tested) version 4.11 is here

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=18&submit.y=15

Also go here for your VIA chipset drivers, these will probably speed up your gameplay they did for me

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

DIRECT LINK TO HYPERION CHIPSET DOWNLOAD:
http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/4in1/via_hyperion 4 in 1_v453v.zip

now that I have the VIA driver how do I install it? (you're dealing with a clueless sap that is upgradig his video card SOLELY for HL2!!!!)

now that I have the VIA driver how do I install it? (you're dealing with a clueless sap that is upgradig his video card SOLELY for HL2!!!!)

Just go to where you downloaded the file and run it and just run through the setup. It will install the AGP drivers and chipset drivers etc... then once their installed it'll probably hafta reboot and then that's it.

well the reason I worry about chipset drivers is because the manual and the ATI help online says:

if your graphics card has an AGP bus, you MUST do the following BEFORE replacing your current graphics card with your new ATI card: Not only do you need display drivers for an AGP card, but you also need drivers for your motherboard, which enable AGP functionality for the mobo chipset.

what does that mean?

I don't see why it would hurt anything if you install your video drivers before your chipset... your chipset drivers should be automatic when windows loads... but those hyperion 4 in 1 should be the most up to date. Also what have you done so far? Are you upgrading from a old video card to a new one then?

lotusboy101 said:

what does that mean?

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your question and didn't realise you were replacing a video card, thought you were just updating drivers. Install the latest Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers, then the Catalyst 4.11s.

I forgot to specify: I am just installing my new card. Before this, I had no card. Whatever my computer came with, which was just some kind of ProSavage8 S3 graphics drivers or something.

I am going to go install the VIA drivers and see what happens.

Generally its a good idea to remove your old drivers by going into device mangager and removing the display adapter before you do anything (then running a driver cleaner... wouldn't worry about this). Then shutdown, install new video card... then windows will boot back up and the resolution might be all big and the colors might look crappy... THEN install the catalyst drivers for your new card... but that's just for future reference what your doing now should work just fine.

People who have problems installing drivers are probably not removing previous versions.

aeroripper said:
Generally its a good idea to remove your old drivers by going into device mangager and removing the display adapter before you do anything (then running a driver cleaner... wouldn't worry about this). Then shutdown, install new video card... then windows will boot back up and the resolution might be all big and the colors might look crappy... THEN install the catalyst drivers for your new card... but that's just for future reference what your doing now should work just fine.

in the attached image, which ones should I remove before installing my Catalyst ones?

have you downloaded the other drivers already? If not, do it now, because it's not fun to look for drivers on the internet with 16 colors on a 640x480 desktop.

instructions:
-download the correct drivers, 4in1 Via drivers, and the ati radeon drivers.
-remove anything that relates to your old display. In the screenshot, all the S3 software must go out. Prosavage looks like it should go to, I suspect it's the 'slang' name for your old card.
-shut down the computer
-insert the 9800pro card
-start up
-install via4in1 & reboot
-install ati radeon driver (I think it's version 4.11 right now)

enjoy :)

WhiteZero said:
Meh... Omega drivers didnt give much of an FPS boost at all, and lowered my FPS in Half-Life (and mods).

Unoffical = teh sux

Omegas arent designed for fps gains, they usually are more about compatibility fixes etc...

And i agree, officials are the best :D

Element Alpha said:
have you downloaded the other drivers already? If not, do it now, because it's not fun to look for drivers on the internet with 16 colors on a 640x480 desktop.

instructions:
-download the correct drivers, 4in1 Via drivers, and the ati radeon drivers.
-remove anything that relates to your old display. In the screenshot, all the S3 software must go out. Prosavage looks like it should go to, I suspect it's the 'slang' name for your old card.
-shut down the computer
-insert the 9800pro card
-start up
-install via4in1 & reboot
-install ati radeon driver (I think it's version 4.11 right now)

enjoy :)

thanks! was very helpful (I had already unfortunately done some things out of order, but so far things are ok)
Sadly though, one thing is wrong now. Everythings installed but catalyst cannot run. It gives me an error message. Follow this link to see what I mean: ERROR
So does cli.exe not working mean that the drivers are also not working?

Lotusboy.

The drivers are working, however, that error means the Catalyst Control Panel is not.

It's not really a big deal. You can still go through Desktop Properties to get to your video card settings.

However, downloading .NET from Windows Update manually (it should be in the optional section) should fix the error. You may have to re-install the Catalyst drivers after installing the .NET framework, or it may just work immediately. Hope that helps.

I have disabled the Catalyst control panel using task manager as it was using a hell of a lot o memory.
My aquamark 3 score actually went up by 600 after doing this?????
I cannot get to alter my setting now but they are set how I want them anyway.
If I do want to go back to the CCP then I will just have to resteart my PC.

If ypu have servocepack2, make sure that you DO NOT use the via 4.53 agp driver...when installing the Via 4-in-1's, you'll have an option to remove the checkmark for AGP driver...leave the default windows XP driver there. Afterwords imstall your video driver.

I have a 9800 pro, and am currently using the Beta 4.12 (4 stands for the year, 12 the month) ATI drivers..seem to work pretty good.

lotusboy101 said:
I posted the following in the hardware threads and got no response, so please help me out with this one somebody!:

hey all of you 9800 pro guys! I just got the exact same card for my system. I need some good advice on what drivers to get though. The manual says to update my chipset drivers before installing the ATI ones, so I did all this crap trying to figure out my chipset and it's confusing. I have a cheap Emachines computer, model is T2341. It has an AMD athlon XP 2400+ processor. the computer says the chipset is a VIA KT266/A or something like that. So I have gone to all three sites and can't decide which has the correct drivers. Should I go to AMD, Emachines, or VIAs site? I don't want to ruin my system one day before HL2 releases! HELP!
Just update the Radeon drivers. Otherwise, if it aint broke dont fix it!

I was using 4.7s and just upgraded to 4.12s... made a negative impact imo.

:(

Back