9800 pro or FX5900xt

tomo13

Reaction score
I will be ordering a new card tomorrow.
Which one will be better for HL2/CS.S and Doom 3?
MSI 9800 pro or Gainward 5900xt

ps I can't afford anything better than the above.

Any help would be great.

The 9800 Pro has more power compared to the 5900 XT, if you had to compare, the 5950 Ultra would match the 9800 Pro.

Though a preferable place to put this would be here...

Get the 9800 Pro any day of the week. I've got a 9800XT and it's a fantastic card, runs anything today on the highest settings with no problems at all. The Pro version of the Radeon 9800 technology is only about 10-15% slower than the XT, and therefore it'll still be a great card. Go for the Radeon. The 5900XT is a cheaper version of the 5900, which itself couldn't match the Radeon 9800 for power. It would be a waste to get the Nvidia card.

Considering all the tech demos that show how poor the FX's DX9 performance is compared to ATi cards, I'd go with the 9800.

The 5900 has a chance on Direct X 8 games (I think it beats the Radeon in games like UT2004 in some benchmarks), but in DX9 it is completely and utterly destroyed by the 9800 Pro.

9800pro more fps more eyecandy
better future proof for this game

also if you lucky you can run it on xt stock speeds
and if its a r360 core you can flash it to xt

I have 9800pro and its soo gd that if you max it out on CS:S, it runs BETTER and FASTER than it does if you tell it to take its time :p

9800pro

Plus VAVLe reccommend it !

chriso20 said:
Plus VAVLe reccommend it !
This is largly what inspired me to buy mine, and I am very pleased with the card.

tomo13 said:
I will be ordering a new card tomorrow.
Which one will be better for HL2/CS.S and Doom 3?
MSI 9800 pro or Gainward 5900xt

ps I can't afford anything better than the above.

Any help would be great.

If it's possible, buy a Sapphire 9800 Pro.

Or wait for coming 6600GT AGP.

PS: Hm, I cannot edit my own posts??? :(

Hi m8, i would recommend the 5900xt whicxh is what ive got, its stable and powerfull enough for todays games and it costs less than the 9800pro margianlly. Plus i bought a all singinmg all dancing 9800 pro and it played like a bag of nails, i was getting all manner of problems as well as bottlenecking. I checked to see why on the net, and guess what, its not very compatible with nforce 2 motherboards. i swapped it with the shop for my 5900xt and the wonders never cease. Its not all about the card but whats right for your PC. sometuimes things arnt compatible.

If it's possible, buy a Sapphire 9800 Pro

Is the Saphire better than MSI?

If so, how?

if you are in the UK dude, go to http://www.aria.co.uk or microdirect (i think), i got my 9800pro 6 months back or so, and it cost like £140, a few weeks ago i saw some on special for £115 or so, is depends if you want a box, or just the card and drivers (OEM)

rf

Narcolepsy said:
The 5900 has a chance on Direct X 8 games (I think it beats the Radeon in games like UT2004 in some benchmarks), but in DX9 it is completely and utterly destroyed by the 9800 Pro.

What he said. If you get 5900 you'll have to run HL2 with DX8.

Look at any test and you will see that the 9800 Pro beats the 5900xt in most diciplines.

robtheblob39 said:
Get the 9800 Pro any day of the week. I've got a 9800XT and it's a fantastic card, runs anything today on the highest settings with no problems at all.
uh.. doom3 on ultra high? anyway, i have a 9800 pro (aiw), so i can tell you that it's a very nice card, but you should see the benchmarks. generally, nvidia cards run doom3's engine better, but ati cards should perform better in hl2 (source games in general?)

doom3:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/doom3.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/doom-3-tests.html

source:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/counterstrike-source.html

google for more benchmarks.

the 5900xt lack 3 registers on the gpu...which means that the 5900xt does not have the same processing power as the 9800....the 5900 cannot accept as large of a packet as can the 9800pro.

I did losts of research before buying mine....with the current driverset, the 9800pro compares with a plain 6800.

I got the ATI 9700Pro do you think i can play Halflife 2 in good game play no lag :cool: ??, i play CS:Sorce and i done the Video Test i get about 69Fps i think *cant remember* :dozey: but bit jumpy on small bits i only have 512MB DDR may think of gettin other 512 do you think it will run better?? :angel:

9800pro is better, no doubt about it.

If you're in luck, you'll get one with a 360 core, wich you can upgrade (by doing a simple bios change) to a 9800xt. If you can pull the upgrade off, you just made yourself 200$.

But 9800pro wins from most cards (even newer ones sometimes). It's in the pipelines. It's got 8 of them.

[12K]Uber-Police said:
Hi m8, i would recommend the 5900xt whicxh is what ive got, its stable and powerfull enough for todays games and it costs less than the 9800pro margianlly. Plus i bought a all singinmg all dancing 9800 pro and it played like a bag of nails, i was getting all manner of problems as well as bottlenecking. I checked to see why on the net, and guess what, its not very compatible with nforce 2 motherboards. i swapped it with the shop for my 5900xt and the wonders never cease. Its not all about the card but whats right for your PC. sometuimes things arnt compatible.

and have you seen your card run hl2? lol, poor bastard.

It depends on your system, are you using pentium or amd, what kind of mobo do you have? Buy the card that works with your system best. You wouldn't buy rdram if your using sdram. If your using a pentium board go with ati if your using an amd board go with nvidia. I'm talking about asus boards that's what I have done in the past and never had any problems.

IMO the 9800 pro is better than any FX card. If you want nvidia, get the GT series.

dont make the same mistake as me by the radion.....Nvidia *shudder*

Back