A few Vista related questions (Technical)

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
I have been running Vista for about a month now, and due to a few issues, I am going back to XP (At least until a decent Service Pack or 2 are released). Down below are the issues that relate to me.

These are me specs:
Intel Dual Core Duo E6400 @ 2.16
Corsair PC6400 2x1GB RAM
eVGA 8800gts 320mb
Seagate Barracuda 7600RPM 500GB
MSI DVD rewriter/reader
Gigabyte S775 Mobo

Vista premium, but with Aero disabled and gadgets hidden.
I have a Windows Genuine Digital Signature

(all the above have the latest drivers, according to Vista)

Windows Media Player
Whenever in DVD playback mode, the first few minutes of a movie will judder like mad. The sound will also judder, so instead of a codec problem I thought it might be a problem with my DVD drive. I have checked for updates and drivers for it, but come up with nothing.

Bear in mind on some DVDs, this will randomly occur several times through the film before returning back to normal. I have never had this problem with XP.

NVDVD
Had in come with a BFG6600 and has worked with every subsequent upgrade of a GPU, and have used it for a few years as I like the playback functionality. I was hoping I could use this for playback, to counteract the problem with WMP, but apparantly it has no compatility with Vista :rolling:. It appears the only playback app compatible with Vista is, yes, WMP :angry:

Cached Memory
I not entirely sure if this is a serious problem, but when I ever used XP's task manager and checked the memory, there used to be a large lump of memory that was always available at a minutes notice, hence the fast responce time.

On the other hand, when in Vista, there is little to no free memory available, because about 75% of my memory is constantly cached, even when there is little activity going on. Ultimately response time of programs and app (*cough* games) takes longer to load up.

It also takes longer for windows to open up, specifically the GAMES folder

Crash to desktops more frequent
Do I need say more. Mostly Source based games :cheers:

Prey v1.30 Patch
Crash to desktop with error message. Earlier versions work with Vista. The document states that v1.30 was to allow for MAC and PC players to play on same multiplayer maps.

So in Brief
Is the problem with WMP normal? Has anybody else experienced it?
Why wouldn't NVDVD be able to function properly?
Is the large Cached memory normal?
Who else has problems with frequent crashes?
Anybody else with Vista have Prey v1.3 and has/hasn't got it working?
Does v1.3 work in XP?

I hope this will settle a few things. Thank You in advance.

Back