A fix for the stuttering is on the way!

Mountain Man

Reaction score
From Voodoo Extreme:
A solution for the stuttering problem has been found and a fix is coming. I've been talking with Gary McTaggart about this today and it turns out that my texture management theory was correct. A patch will be coming for this issue that will load all of the required textures into video memory on level load, rather than doing it during game play. There is currently no ETA for this patch, but I will post an update as soon as I get more information.
And this from Erik Johnson:
We've found a fix for this problem, and we're planning on shipping it no later than tomorrow.

YESSSSS! finally i can play it the way its ment to be played. i hope they dn;t start delays with patchs now

I don't really understand what stuttering. I've been playing fine so far o_O Oh well, maybe my pc is just superior XD or I'm blind.

great news but this means that loading times will be longer but oh well i dont care

I honestly can't believe it went gold with an annoying bug like that. Shame on Valve and Vivendi. Especially since they are releasing a patch for it tommorow.

-1 for Valve Software.

Great news for the few that haven't finished this short game yet!

Erik Johnson said:
We've found a fix for this problem, and we're planning on shipping it no later than tomorrow

September, 30, 2005: here we go. :sleep:

Cool! It was pretty distracting. Some levels were worse than others though.

Yeah, although i think after defragging and switching to the 4.12 betas my performance has increased although i do still get the sound stuttering

I guess this means that, for the full effect, I'm going to have to play through the entire game again.. :hmph:

Not that I wasn't going to anyways :D

yeah, i got the stuttering at the beginning, thought it had cleared up(must have been the level?), now it's stutter city(literally, i'm in City 17)..

If it was to do with texture loading, then why does it ALWAYS happen when someone talks? That makes no sense... Its not like the audio files go through the video card memory.

I doubt this'll fix the audio stuttering when people talk / audio events occur

lol I'm using a p4 that clocks in at 1.7ghz geforece 4 5200, my sound card is built into the motherboard(which is shit) I have the side of my case off because there is no intake fan and it ran pretty much fine for me some of the really intence battles lagged a bit but hardly noticable. Mind you the settings are pretty low....

Pippinator said:
If it was to do with texture loading, then why does it ALWAYS happen when someone talks? That makes no sense... Its not like the audio files go through the video card memory.

I doubt this'll fix the audio stuttering when people talk / audio events occur

I think you may be having a different issue. This issue did cause audio stuttering because of hard drive thrashing for the textures, but it rarely (if ever) happened during speaking. It was most pronounced in large outdoor areas (for me).

when a new audio clip plays, it stutters for a second...

when a lady talks, or the man speaks on the videos, it'd stutter...

when a sound which hadn't been loaded yet, e.g. the sound of a machine gun firing hadn't occured yet (thus being loaded), it'd stutter...

this is the main "audio stuttering" issue...

You know what,, i dont believe they can fix the problems this game has,,, the crashes,, the freezing, the stupid sound problem no way in hell astupid single patch will fix it.

Pippinator said:
when a new audio clip plays, it stutters for a second...

when a lady talks, or the man speaks on the videos, it'd stutter...

when a sound which hadn't been loaded yet, e.g. the sound of a machine gun firing hadn't occured yet (thus being loaded), it'd stutter...

this is the main "audio stuttering" issue...
What's your sound card? I don't get stuttering during speech, but I do ocassionally have the problem with a weapon sound or an explosion sound stuttering when first introduced. EDIT: Mine is an Audigy2

BlackMesaDude said:
You know what,, i dont believe they can fix the problems this game has,,, the crashes,, the freezing, the stupid sound problem no way in hell astupid single patch will fix it.

I dont get any of thse problems, are you sure its not something to do with your pc?

Cool, I have an FX53 with a 6800 Ultra OC, 100fps average, and it still stutters. I'll be glad to have smooth gameplay, because I'm only half way thru it.

Very likely load times will increase. If I remember correctly the patch will change on the fly caching of textures (I checked it earlier but now I can't remember) which will mean they would have to be loaded earlier. HOWEVER, I'm sure that this patch may also optimise loading times a little. There HAS to be a reason my computer takes 3 minutes to load HL2 and fukin 5 minutes JUST TO CHANGE RESOLUTIONS. If it's not fixed oh well, I still enjoy the game and maybe once we get SDK and people start playing, some of that crap will get cleared up. For now, just making it runs smooth WHILE I'm playing is MUCH more important than load times.

That's my three cents, keep the change.

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:
I dont get any of thse problems, are you sure its not something to do with your pc?

Hm nope, games like bf1942, doom3, painkiller, farcry, halo, vice city you name it i can play all day long like every other damn gamn on the market without strange lockups for no reason.

Its not like im alone on this. Its the game that loads everything right before i decide to do some stuff ingame and it lags like hell its so damn annoying, and the ingame freeze, i just wanna smack something hard to get loose of that energy everytime the game freezes.

BlackMesaDude said:
i had only 1 crash throughout the entire game and the stuttering, but other than that, no problems.

If it's the same on all computers, I don't understand why only some are affected by it?

i've had the stuttering so bad i THOUGHT it was gonna freeze, but never did.. outdoor levels seem the worst, and i too have an audigy 2
Is this something that people with lots of RAM don't worry about? I've only got 512 and was thinking of upgrading..

i'm jus gna stop playin until they release it. i'm in city 17 and it jus stutters liek crazy! well it cn;t take them that long now that they knw wt the solution is...rite?

Back