A locked copy of Half-Life 2 is now on your computer.

Organizer

Reaction score
:|

I thought this was just textures / sounds and stuff!

Half-Life 2
Pre-loading is complete.

A locked copy of Half-Life 2 is now on your computer.

Really?!
As im buying this in the store, I don't know what the Preload is up to...

I find it hard to believe though

People who are getting it pre-loaded, comment on this please

What source is this from?
I think many more would of commented had the entire files been copied down, as this would imply its gold

It's not the whole game.
It's not the whole game.
It's not the whole game.

What is it not?

Why do they make it seem that the entire game is on our computers, when its just textures etc.

Ruuustar said:
It's not the whole game.
It's not the whole game.
It's not the whole game.

What is it not?

Half the game.....no wait a minute scratch that. It is not Duke Nukem Forever. Its not pictures of my mom nude, (lets hope) its not the burial location of Jimmy Hoffa. Its not.........a lot of things.....

They shouldn't say "a locked copy of Half Life 2 is now on your computer" if it isn't the truth.

That is very purposeful wording. They could've easily said "Half Life 2 core files are downloaded" or something. I thought the same thing when I saw it... "Wow, the whole game is on here?" That pre-load message is either very deceiving or dead-on.

It's because what is currently available is just part of the preload. At a later point you'll be able to preload the rest. They believe, and why shouldn't they?, that making a new message for each and every step of the preload is pointless.

Technically a copy of Half Life 2 is on your computer, just not a complete one.

Bloody hell CONSPIRACY!! TEH HOLE GAYME SI ON TEH PEESEE AND TEHY ARENY TELLIN US TEH TRUWTH!!

Or... they lazily decided to use the old dialogue they've used on other pre-loads in the past "A locked copy of "$game" is now on your computer" or whatever.

Chris_D said:
Bloody hell CONSPIRACY!! TEH HOLE GAYME SI ON TEH PEESEE AND TEHY ARENY TELLIN US TEH TRUWTH!!

Or... they lazily decided to use the old dialogue they've used on other pre-loads in the past "A locked copy of "$game" is now on your computer" or whatever.

You got off on that first part, didn't you? Huh, huh?

I don't like that sentence. It's like they're mocking us "Nananana HL2 is on your pc but you won't be playing it any time soon, nananana *points and laughs*"

doesn't HL2 come on 2 cd's ?? if so, then this should be at least 85% of the gaem or so, 'cause the 2 cd's can only hold 1.4 gigs of stuff, and the preload is around 1.1 gig (right?? :dork: )..

but I don't know for sure it's only 2 cd's, I believe I heard that somewhere.. don't hold me up on this :)

valdiorn said:
doesn't HL2 come on 2 cd's ?? if so, then this should be at least 85% of the gaem or so, 'cause the 2 cd's can only hold 1.4 gigs of stuff, and the preload is around 1.1 gig (right?? :dork: )..

but I don't know for sure it's only 2 cd's, I believe I heard that somewhere.. don't hold me up on this :)
Probably four or five CDs actually.

Far Cry was 6 or something, so I wouldn't be surprised if Half Life 2 is four or more disks...

Hopefully developers will take a hint and start producing games on DVD's rather than cds.

MrBongo said:
Far Cry was 6 or something, so I wouldn't be surprised if Half Life 2 is four or more disks...

Hopefully developers will take a hint and start producing games on DVD's rather than cds.

Well, Far Cry was DVD only in the UK, so I guess they already took the hint. :)

MrBongo said:

FC was 5, AND I believe they have said there is a good chance HL2 will be on a DVD in some version (CE) or another.

MrBongo said:

6 cd's!? hell no! that was ut2k4!! farcry was like, 3 cd's (me thinks)

I believe Far Cry was 5 cds, but I bought the dvd version, so I may have been wrong. The general underlying point is that developers need to start putting games out on DVD, otherwise we'll be getting games that require +5 disks to install.

MrBongo said:
I believe Far Cry was 5 cds, but I bought the dvd version, so I may have been wrong. The general underlying point is that developers need to start putting games out on DVD, otherwise we'll be getting games that require +5 disks to install.

Like UT2004? 6 CDs :naughty:

Where are the "Locked files" of Half-Life 2 kept on your PC

and what about is that copy is just a lot of files that dont work and when HL2 will release you will preload the rest of necesary files to play?

<RJMC> said:
and what about is that copy is just a lot of files that dont work and when HL2 will release you will preload the rest of necesary files to play?

The files in the present preload are (I believe) texture and audio files. When Half Life 2 is officially released to the public in the year 3004, you'll be able to preload the remaining files (Such as maps, etc) onto your computer. Then, once you have purchased the game through Steam, you will be able to unlock the game and go straight to playing your game.

Half Life 2 will be around 4-5 cds or 1 dvd, I read it in some article
and for collectors it will be an extra cd or dvd or something like that.
Both will be available, I think its nice that the dvd's are available for the bigger games, cause I honestly dont feel like lugging around 5 cds for one game, I know it was bad with Ut2k4, same w/ far cry. good games though. No doubt hl2 will be one also.

As for the threads main topic, HL2 is not fully loaded on the computer,its just stuff that wont be changed in the final version.

Hackerman said:
Half Life 2 will be around 4-5 cds or 1 dvd, I read it in some article
and for collectors it will be an extra cd or dvd or something like that.
Both will be available, I think its nice that the dvd's are available for the bigger games, cause I honestly dont feel like lugging around 5 cds for one game, I know it was bad with Ut2k4, same w/ far cry. good games though. No doubt hl2 will be one also.

As for the threads main topic, HL2 is not fully loaded on the computer,its just stuff that wont be changed in the final version.

Yeah the "extra" CD will contain behind the scenes footage of the team laughing at us as they create one delay story after another....

"Hey I got an idea Gabe lets tel them our dog ate the original CDs so they cant be pressed yet"

:)

Back