A Must !

Originally posted by Cheetarah654
you dumbass. its the standard single player with multiplayer game
Finally, someone comes out and says it...

Originally posted by Kadayi Polokov
If you want 'clarification' why not just email ATI customer services, I'm quite sure they will have an accurate answer to the question.

Well there is clarification posted in the "Valve Info" thread on these very forums, it is the second post in the link posted below. The info is clarification about the HL2 packin coupon direct from ATI:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1298&perpage=15&pagenumber=23

For those that don't want to click here is the important bit:

Regarding the included HL2 with the 9800 XT:

The version that is included with the 9800 XT is the full version, so it will
have all of the same features as the retail release of the card. Because HL2 is
not yet shipping, the game itself will not come with the card, but will have a
voucher that can be used to download HL2 from the web using Valve's Steam
client.

We do not know when the release of HL2 will be. There has been no official word
from Valve on when HL2 will be released.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

I hope that this information helps. If we can be of further assistance, just
let us know.

Chris Shapcott
Customer Service Canada
ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com

Not too specific I'm afraid, obviously they don't want people to catch on that it is single player only. :dork:

Click here ------>>> HL2 Single Player Only :bounce: Please click the link for info

And I can find a review of the 9800XT saying it is the full version. What's your point?

Why can't you just lay down the conspiracy crack pipe and accept that the ATi coupon indicates it is the full version of HL2, meaning SP and MP?

Originally posted by xm0nkey
And I can find a review of the 9800XT saying it is the full version. What's your point?

Why can't you just lay down the conspiracy crack pipe and accept that the ATi coupon indicates it is the full version of HL2, meaning SP and MP?

Well the link I give is from Tom's hardware and this is a reputable site. Their info likely comes from people in the know. I will assume that Tom's Hardware attended the ATI's press event on Alcatraz Island (i.e. the Radeon 9800XT launch) on Sept 30th and got the info direct from the source - ATI!!!

Valve is not a charity they are out to make money, it makes perfect sense that the coupon is for single player only becauses when the game ships they can charge you through steam to upgrade to get the multiplayer. Nowhere on the ATI website is multplayer mentioned, so it is no conspiracy theory its just the facts. Please show me a reputable source that says you get multiplayer.

Anyone!!!??????

I am just pointing out all the facts I have available to me to allow people buying a 9800XT or 9600XT to make an informed decision on the value of the pack in. :dork:

Originally posted by xm0nkey
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI5LDI=

Bottom paragraph.

And Tom's reputability largely depends on who you talk to.

For those not wanting to click the link to HARDOCP here is the info referred to:

Half Life 2 will be shipping IN THE BOX (This has now officially changed to COUPON IN THE BOX - 10/01/03 - Kyle) with the 9800XT AND the 9600XT. This is the full retail version, no demo, no shareware, this is the retail version of the game. This is big news folks, especially on the 9600XT. At $199 that is a very appealing offer for many.

It basicly says the same thing as the coupon "full version" but does not specifically mention multiplayer. :dork:

(I'm not saying that people won't get SP/MP but just that I have seen no clear evidence indicating this)

... and as far as Tom's reputability, is HardOCP any more reputable? check out this link ---> HardOCP reputable???

Ok, Keeson.

Believe whatever the hell you want to believe, but i'll be laughing when people redeem their coupons and get the SP + MP version of HL2. I really don't care what you say anymore and any other level-headed person in this thread will tell you that full means just what it says.

Keeson,

I do not think you realize how saddened I am at the moment for not having a webcam right this moment.

Couple of days ago I sold my previous computer to my uncle and used the money to purchase a whole new system. My previous computer had the 9800 Pro 128 MB retail, which didn't have a Half-Life 2 offer at the time I ordered it (from NewEgg). I decided to go one step up and purchase the 9800XT 256 (from NewEgg, again) for the new system and it just got here today, stating the "free" Half-Life 2 deal all over the box - this is one of the many reasons why I coughed up my dough for this card.

I haven't opened the box yet due to the fact that my other computer components won't arrive until friday, so, I'm waiting until then to open up everything. However, I was overlooking the outside of the box and saw something on the back that caught my attention: Back of the box, very last picture that shows Alyx (the last picture on the right hand side); just underneath the photo, it states ...
GET THE HOTTEST GAME OF THE YEAR FREE(1)!
* Experience the thrill!
* Full version includes single and multiplayer modes
* Game to be shipped once it's generally available at retail
* Details inside the box

Hopefully this can be used as some info for all the speculations, unfortunately I do not have an option to take an actual photo to show you gents, but I'm sure if you go to the store and look on the back of the ATI retail package, it'll say the same (unless I somehow got a newer boxed version which is highly unlikely) - or just ask a friend who has this type of card to show you the box and peek on the back.

Take care, I must go back to seeing if the things that arrived today are what I ordered :D

I'm just flabbergasted at this entire topic. If HL2 actually came in two seperate versions, that would be the first time I have EVER seen a SP and a MP component be sold apart.

What an absolutely ridiculous idea. Oh well. Looks like some sites have even gotten in on the stupidity.

Actually, DarKnyt, it's coming in a basic SP version (no MP, no mods) and an SP+MP+mods version...

Originally posted by zedboy
* Experience the thrill!
* Details inside the box

Well I guess that settles it :D

And DarKnyt you're a sphincter.

Originally posted by zedboy
* Experience the thrill!
* Details inside the box

There simply stating that the full version includes single and multiplayer modes, they never actually say that is the version you will recieve. They could have said "Full version including single and multiplayer modes, and you should be suspicious of the way they choose to word it.

This looks to me like a grammarical ploy to work the word "multiplayer" into the box art, and it shouldn't be taken as a gaurantee that the coupon version includes the multiplayer element.

IMHO, I wouldn't trust any source except Valve or ATI, and so far they have remained silent. So far none of the fine print has stated this is not the single-player edition of the game, and if you were giving away the multiplayer version don't you think you would make it blatently clear?

Good christ.

Didn't gabe say they wern't releasing the SP only version over steam at one point, I mean, who would buy the SP only if they had broadband anyway?

Originally posted by Mr. Coffee
There simply stating that the full version includes single and multiplayer modes, they never actually say that is the version you will recieve. They could have said "Full version including single and multiplayer modes, and you should be suspicious of the way they choose to word it.

This looks to me like a grammarical ploy to work the word "multiplayer" into the box art, and it shouldn't be taken as a gaurantee that the coupon version includes the multiplayer element.

IMHO, I wouldn't trust any source except Valve or ATI, and so far they have remained silent. So far none of the fine print has stated this is not the single-player edition of the game, and if you were giving away the multiplayer version don't you think you would make it blatently clear?

Thats a very shaky defense.

The card gets you the SP+MP version of the game.

The Voucher states you recieve the full version of the game, and the back of the package states the full version includes SP+MP support.

It says you get the "FULL VERSION" on the coupon.

It says on the product box "Full Version includes Single and Multiplayer modes"

Anyone still debating this suffers from heavy-retardation and/or is simply being anal and stubborn.

Here is what my coupon looks like.

I don't care if it is just SP or not either. I only want the SP version anyways.

All I know is that I will be buying the game from a store. No way in hell I am going to wait 4-6 weeks before I play this game if or when it comes out.

Here's what Tom's hardware says about the coupon:

"Sources tell us that the bundling is very expensive for the card makers. ATI is asking for about $15 for a copy, which is 300% more than other game bundles. So you can expect that not every ATI board partner will feature this game bundle.

It's also unknown yet if there will be a chance to upgrade the bundled single player game (about $40) to the multi player version (about $50) will become available later."

Its seems as though Tom has been in touch with a "source" who has some inside knowledge of the deal between ATI and Valve. Looks like ATI is flipping these coupons to some of their card parters for a profit so it not "really" costing them 6 million. The "source" also seems to indicate strongly that it is single player only.

The boxes say SP/MP but then add "details inside" which nullifies what is on the box. Inside the box is a coupon that has all kinds of legalese and no mention of multiplayer but refers you to ATI's website for even more "details". Of course ATI's website makes no mention anywhere of the word multiplayer.

The pictures and descriptions for the 9800XT and 9600XT make no reference of getting HL2 or that it even exists. You won't find eQUIV's box shot anywhere on ATI's website.

I think ATI has covered their asses legally because no where in the details or fine print or on their website does it say anything about multiplayer.

So, I think it depends on whether or not you trust Valve. Apparently 85 percent don't trust them according to the recent PHL poll.

The bottom line is this:

Do you trust Tom??? Or do you trust Valve???

:dork: With all the broken promises I'm going with Tom on this one.

eQUIV:

Thank you for saying exactly what I said right before you.

:thumbs:

IT SAYS ON THE GOD DAMN BOX FULL VERSION INCLUDES SP AND MP, IF YOU STILL THINK ITS SP ONLY YOU ARE A MORON!

I mean Christ! It's pretty damn obvious people.

Originally posted by Keeson
Here's what Tom's hardware says about the coupon:

"Sources tell us that the bundling is very expensive for the card makers. ATI is asking for about $15 for a copy, which is 300% more than other game bundles. So you can expect that not every ATI board partner will feature this game bundle.

It's also unknown yet if there will be a chance to upgrade the bundled single player game (about $40) to the multi player version (about $50) will become available later."

Its seems as though Tom has been in touch with a "source" who has some inside knowledge of the deal between ATI and Valve. Looks like ATI is flipping these coupons to some of their card parters for a profit so it not "really" costing them 6 million. The "source" also seems to indicate strongly that it is single player only.

The boxes say SP/MP but then add "details inside" which nullifies what is on the box. Inside the box is a coupon that has all kinds of legalese and no mention of multiplayer but refers you to ATI's website for even more "details". Of course ATI's website makes no mention anywhere of the word multiplayer.

Hi, did you purchase a 9800xt or a 9600xt? No? Well guess what I did, the only thing inside my box was the video card, manual, driver cd, and coupon for HL2.... There is no other mention of HL2 in the manual, the only mention of it is the coupon. There is no kind of "legalese".. unless you're referring to this copyright information and the shipping and handling info...

"Copyright 2003, ATI Technologies Inc. All rights Reserved. ATI is a registered trademark of ATI Technologies Inc. Image © 2003 Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. Valve, the Lambda logo, Half Life and the Half Life logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Valve Corporation. This promotional information sheet has no cash or other value. This offer does not apply to bulk OEM (white box) versions of the foregoing products and does not apply to any other ATI products. This rebate coupon cannot be used in any other ATI offers.

*Shipping, handling and any applicable taxes or customs charges not included. Such charges will vary depending on purchaser's mailing address and method they choose to recieve their copy of Half-Life 2 (i.e; download vs. land delivery). Offer only available while supplies last. "

Since the box says it includes SP and MP, and the details inside say nothing about not including MP or nothing else that could legally null what is stated on the outside of the box... I have come to the conlusion that you are the world's stupidist human being. Congratulations.
The pictures and descriptions for the 9800XT and 9600XT make no reference of getting HL2 or that it even exists. You won't find eQUIV's box shot anywhere on ATI's website.

I think ATI has covered their asses legally because no where in the details or fine print or on their website does it say anything about multiplayer.

It doesn't matter what is says on their website... they aren't legally abliged to to fullfill statements to people who haen't even purchased their product. I have bought their product, and on the actual product box itself it says "buy radeon 9600 xt and RECEIVE A FREE COPY OF HALF-LIFE 2".

The information on their website is therefor irrelevant. I bought their product, not their website. They're legally responsible to fullfill claims stated on their product.

So, I think it depends on whether or not you trust Valve. Apparently 85 percent don't trust them according to the recent PHL poll.

The bottom line is this:

Do you trust Tom??? Or do you trust Valve???

:dork: With all the broken promises I'm going with Tom on this one. [/B]

I don't trust Tom, he obviously already has wrong information or a bad source for information. And I do trust Valve, they havent done anything worse than any other gaming company. But mostly i trust ATI, they wouldn't state false information on their products.

Back