A Question about the use of Dynamic Level Of Detail in Half Life 2.....

M

maniac618

With constantly changing detail levels to keep frame rates up, won't RAM etc be going mad with these changes, I'm sure for some users this will cause more slow down than without it.

Discuss, or tell me I'm n00b and give me an explanation. Thanks. :sniper:

from what i've heard the texture detail will be higher indoors, and lesser outdoors.

Depends on the implementation of the LOD.

The point is to minimise the requirements to play the game.

The game might as well be loading things into memory more and more on how close you are to the object.

It wouldn't make much sense to use it generally but you could use it in certain situations.

Ch1cKeN said:
from what i've heard the texture detail will be higher indoors, and lesser outdoors.

apparently it is really bad outside.

Hl2 ROCKS YA WOOT I CAN FEEL IT WOOT WOTO YA!

maniac618 said:
With constantly changing detail levels to keep frame rates up, won't RAM etc be going mad with these changes, I'm sure for some users this will cause more slow down than without it

I think that is why the RECOMMENDED ram is so much more than the minimum. You CAN play HL2 with a small amount of RAM in your machine, but you may not want to.

KnifeKnight said:
who gives a shit, i dont, 2Gb DDR.... HAHHAHA

Great reply. :angel:

My system:

AMD 64 3500+
Asus a8v Deluxe motherboard
1 GB Corsair low latency RAM
Gainward GeForce 6800 GT factory overclocked to Ultra speed.
200GB SATA hard drive
17" LG TFT Flatron LCD Monitor

Now...

If I get slow down when walking round corners I will be FURIOUS and I bet the dynamic LOD will be to blame.

I haven't got my copy yet by the way, shitty HMV :(

maniac618 said:
I haven't got my copy yet by the way, shitty HMV :(

thats a shame m8 .. hope it comes soon

i dident even preorder the game , got up this morning @ 8:00 got the buss to town and WOW hl-2 was in my hand

did cost me £32.99 though .. but hey it was woth it :)

1.8GHz
512 DDR

No graphics card, my laptop uses its ram for video. I'm maxing out at 15fps! w00t!

Back