A Question Regarding Tutorials

MetalPiranha

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good texturing tutorial? I know how to texture - I just dont know how to put the model in and texture in HL2 format, resize it etc, and put it into the game. I dont even know what program to use to view the model with the skin on. Who can direct me, or spend the time to tell me how to do this?

Thankyou very much,

~Piranha :thumbs:

theres very few texturing tutorials talk to evan aka evancolgo or sumit lol hes amazin

lol, evancolgo, mwhahaha... do you mean me? Piranha message me on MSN sometime at [email protected] or AIM at xemopirateboyx and I'll do my best to answer your questions!

go to polycount and download the video tutorials, its the only thing you need.

Well 'evancolgo' you havent come on msn yet XD

Ive done my best to attept to export, and i am now at the stage where i have my qc file and am trying to convert my smd into a mdl.

My QC file:

$modelname models/static/freight.mdl
$cd models/static
$cdtexture models/static/freight
$scale 1.0
$origin 0 0 36
studio "modelsrc/static/freight.smd"

Im pretty sure all the files are in the locations i have set.

However, when i drop my qc into studiomdl.exe, it comes up with a completely black dos screen for a split second and then it disappears.

What am I doing wrong?

cannonfodders studiocompiler never worked for me. u dont drag and drop. click start>run and type cmd. in the comand prompt type cd "%sourcesdk%" (with the " " ) press enter and now type bin\studiomdl ..\sourcesdk_content\hl2\modelsrc (or where ever your qc file is located) myqc.qc then it will start working on it and will tell u if it completes succesfully or if it has errors.

OK ive used cannonfodder's compiler (nice program)

but when i put the model in hammer, it looks like this: (see attached image)

What the hell? Its supposed to be a huge metal freight box kinda thing.

Attachments

• uhoh.jpg
    uhoh.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 215
Aha, i changed my exporter the the cannonfodder one and now it works. But now, when i view my model ingame and in hammer, it has no texture! Its just the black and purple squares, despite the fact that I have the texture in the right directory in the right format (VMT and VTF)

Im so nearly there!

EDIT: Tryed again, found out that i had selected the wrong material directory. Its all ok now - but my texture is now INVISIBLE!

Try the HL2 Compile Toolkit in my sig. It compiles everything then throws it into the correct directory...

The material for the texture most likely isn't in the proper folder. Something is either mislabeled, misplaced, or named wrong. If that happens source can't find it and just gives you the checkerboard. Hrmmm.... check the .VMT file to and make sure everything leads to the proper directory.

On the edit section of my last post:

Ive sorted out the directories but now my texure is invisible. The model is definately there cos i can interact with it but it appears invisible.

What am i doing wrong here?

lol, deja vou o_O pretty much everything i did when i tried compiling models :p might wanna try link in stardog's sig, that's the only way i ever got it to work.

$cd models/static
$cdtexture models/static/freight

i dont understant these two things i just have $cdmaterials

Thats irrelevant now - im using cannonfodders compiler to make a .qc:

Heres whats in it:

$modelname "static/freight.mdl"
$scale 1.00
$staticprop
$cdmaterials "models/static/"

$body "Body" "C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Desktop\freight.smd"
$sequence "Idle" "C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Desktop\freight.smd" fps 30 ACT_IDLE 1

$surfaceprop "metal"

$collisionmodel "C:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Desktop\freight.smd" {
$concave
$mass 1000.000
}

in most cases, when using studiocompiler you wouldn't even have to look at the qc. Here are some things you should check when you have problems.

1) did you set everything correctly before exporting, mat id's, textures
2) did you create the folder directory (for example if you wanted to compile the textures/model in a model/xxx/blabla you would have to create in first before compiling.
3) make sure you've set everything correctly in studiocompiler

What do you mean by mat id's?

I applyed the texture as a tga onto the model, after uvmapping it and using texporter to create the right size image.

Is that right?

yes, and does the texture appear properly on your model? If it doesn't, then you've got your mat id's wrong. You should also try a multi/sub-object material to your model, but I don't think it's necessary anymore.

This could all be found if you searched.

The texuture appears fine on there.

And yes, I have searched - but try finding 'invisible texture hammer' or 'invisible custom texture hl2' - theres pretty much nothing on there :| .

Ah wait - its appears fine in 3ds max, but is invisible in HL2 Model Viewer.

If i give the model viewer the wrong material location when compiling it it appears with the checkerboard.

I have tried making the texture completely 1 colour (red) to see if it shows up totally red, but it doesnt, its just invisible.

I'm very confused!

Back