A Source engine appreciation thread

Paulaner

Space Core
Reaction score
I am still playing EP2 and my jaw keeps dropping at the beautiful, stunning, awesome mountain sceneries. The Source engine is criticized for not being state-of-the-art next-gen thing, but in my eyes EP2 is a graphical gem. And very, very, very smooth on my mid-end machine. I am loving it.

It's not great, but it's not bad. The only thing i hate about Source is that's it's the only game engine that has ever given me trouble and lots of it.

I love Source, I've run it across several generations of graphics cards from an old FX5200 to a 7800 and it's always looked beautiful. My favorite part is that it evolves :p compare the HL2 version of Source with the newest Orange Box one and you see what I mean.

I like how Valve keeps in mind that people with less powerful machines may want to play. Source can run on DX6, how many other modern engines do that?

I like how Valve keeps in mind that people with less powerful machines may want to play. Source can run on DX6, how many other modern engines do that?

That's what I always say about the source engine; you can run its games in almost every computer, and in high-end ones it looks amazing. I had to play HL2 and the episodes with an ATi 9550 and it ran really well (except that I couldn't play ep2 at 100%). THen I bought a new computer and a 8600gt and the difference is huge in graphics, but the performance overall was always great

I like how Valve keeps in mind that people with less powerful machines may want to play.

That's the way to exploit the market and be successful: run a survey and have your target based on the results. Pure and simple.
The opposite of other companies that accept some type of agreements and have economic compromises about their products, see Alan Wake as a Vista only game for no technical reason other than MS marketing (XB360 is a DX9 machine as WinXP). A slap in the face of PC gamers.

How could I not love the engine that brought HL2, its episodes, TF2, CSS, Portal, GMod, L4D and other Mods into the world with a minimum of fuss?

I see no problems with Source, I occasionally get 'Paged Pool Memory Low' or something but that is just because of my shitty RAM, not because of the engine itself. If anything I like it for that warning, it has helped me improve my system.

For instance, I play games on my win2000 machine. I have DX9, and a two year old card, 1 GB of Ram and a 1ghz processor. Guess what? It runs Great.

Back