A True Cinematic Experience...

DLing movie ... can't wait to see it in action but just from the arcticle I'm already sold. Great job valve. You rock. :bounce:

Great idea and very original! Ive never seen any other game developer think of something like this.

... as long as its optional ;)

edit: the should add it to the spectator mode only, when you die its like you watch a movie.

"I'm supposed to see things as they would have seen it"

See, now, I really don't understand the logic behind this.
If you were aiming for step-in-their-shoes-realism.. why are you even playing DoD: Source? It's pretty much World War II goes to the arcade, with a dash of realism to sweeten the deal. Making it more cinematic will just make it moreso that type of thing, and I totally embrace that.

Now, if you want realism, you should check out Red Orchestra, as that does it a whole lot better than DoD: Source does.

Betelgeuze said:
Great idea and very original! Ive never seen any other game developer think of something like this.

... as long as its optional ;)

edit: the should add it to the spectator mode only, when you die its like you watch a movie.

Maybe Valve'll add it in. :farmer:

It looks great. I'm really looking forward to it, this makes me want to play DoD now instead of Sid Miers Pirates!

VALVe makes me happy.

Plus, Day of Defeat being my favourite mod, evar, I'm glad they're putting the focus on that instead of Counter Strike. HAR HAR!

All the vids are downloaded, I'm gonna watch them all in rapid succession!

*unhooks the phone and internet connection, and locks the door*

The end of the movie clip is hilarious!!!!! :E :E :E :E

I think that blur (focus) effect does add up to the realism. Like the part when a guy mounts a grenade on his Garand and then when he aims at the window the gun blurs a bit. Very sweet, even more than HDR.

*lies back and lights up a cigarette* Oh man...

I absolutely love the DoDS theme music, I usually listen to it a minute before jumping into a server, because it always gets me in the right mood. Getting it together with that awesome action is like combining... two really REALLY good things.

I think it was better for my computer than it was for me, though, since it know it's getting an upgrade soon...

They'll be adding it in of course, but optional like HDR. So everyone settle down, and people saying they have more important things to do you're wrong, there is different cabals for different things. Thus the games are still being worked on, don't get your panties in a twist, VALVe just wants to keep their engine up-to-date.

omg... the trailer is awesome... :D

looks real amazing... valve rocks... :)

can't wait to get the update... :D

gogogo

Gotta love how Valve adds new stuff for their games every now and then.

CS gets goddamn boring after a while, so it's better that they're adding new content to DOD:S instead of the CS series.

Already saw it before it hit Steam News :D

It is indeed teh hawt.

And Gabe = <3

88% - damn, this download's slow. Capped at 100Kb/s. Only 3 minutes left though...

Quite a nice little film you got there Valve! Especially that last part - LOLIRL!

This is looking fun for Source developers... :D

Hugh_Jazz said:
I absolutely love the DoDS theme music, I usually listen to it a minute before jumping into a server, because it always gets me in the right mood.
I totally agree with this man... the theme music is amazing if you listen past the first 30 seconds or so, when it gets the male choir in there and whatnot.

This trailer is so cool, I can't wait for these effects.

Looks really cool. I'm not sure how well it will go down with the multiplayer community seeing as some of the effects may affect peoples aim and i can imagine a lot of people complaining leading to turning the features off. I may be wrong though and they may simply make the online experience better

I wanna test this stuff out for myself as in some instances the editing and camera angles may not represent the true effect

To the guy who was saying "this doesn't look realistic, people saw the war normally when they were there, not with a film grain and crap!" I would like to explain that this effect isn't supposed to make the game look how we would see it, it's supposed to look more cinematic.

Motion Blur and DoF look really nice, but i will definately turn off the 'film' effect, because a) it looks like shit. and b) it looks nothing like old film footage anyway.

nowjust add shakey cam and it would be saving private ryan

I think it may hinder online play a bit for the hard core gamers. but if theres an sp feature added to it it would be cool. It would also be great for spectator mode for making videos

I like the idea personally, I just hope it will apply to everyone.
Oh, and it also needs a bit of work, looking at the screenshots (Yes, I've seen the movie, and it was flawless, but the screenshots weren't, as sometimes the effects were... Incomplete. http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/source_film_effects/dof2.jpg Like on this screenshot, you can see that the blur is sort of cut on the helmet.
http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/source_film_effects/mblur3.jpg You can notice the same issue here.)

EDIT: read below.

Aprime said:
Oh, and it also needs a bit of work, looking at the screenshots (Yes, I've seen the movie, and it was flawless, but the screenshots weren't, as sometimes the effects were... Incomplete. http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/source_film_effects/dof2.jpg Like on this screenshot, you can see that the blur is sort of cut on the helmet.
http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/source_film_effects/mblur3.jpg You can notice the same issue here.)

Those are not bugs in any way, if you read the article you'll see that they are intentionally taken with the left hand side of the screen without any effects applied so you can get a comparison. Thats why the dividing line is perfectly central on every shot.

Aprime said:
It's because they want to show you how is it like with and without the effects.

Afterburner said:
To the guy who was saying "this doesn't look realistic, people saw the war normally when they were there, not with a film grain and crap!" I would like to explain that this effect isn't supposed to make the game look how we would see it, it's supposed to look more cinematic.

Rofl, I didn't see that. No shit. :LOL:

Patriarch2000 said:
They'd better have an option to turn it off.

I'm playing in the boots of a soldier

Well actually you're in a computer chair.

Well, looks like we will have more articles this week(probably by the same sites that did the HDR preview) HOpefully we will learn some more intresting stuff.

Aprime said:

EDIT: read below.
That would be sig-worthy if only it wasn't so long...

That video was tops. I really can't wait to play this game with those new effects (I desperately need a new video card).

I hadn't read the text below the screenshots before posting, dang.

its not gunna make more people play its just gunna **** it up even more than it was before

cyan!de said:
its not gunna make more people play its just gunna **** it up even more than it was before

Go home!

cyan!de said:
Grammarless people = No No!

cyan!de said:

I think I'll go play some DOD:S now.

cyan!de said:
**** it up? This future update is going to make not only this game, but all of valve's games, more immersive and realistic.

kaf11 said:
**** it up? This future update is going to make not only this game, but all of valve's games, more immersive and realistic.

I saw the videos, the big long one and all the other little ones.

The depth of field blur is a good effect, but the film grain and scratches are disastrous. The only thing it is good for is making demo videos like that one, but that means it's already obsolete since lots of video software does the same effects. In gameplay it would be nothing but an annoyance. Who the hell would try playing with a film dust filter on?

I am not at the cinema. I'm playing a game, and soldiers didn't get film scratches and dust specks flickering in their sniper scopes.

Hehe, looks good. :thumbs:

You have to be careful with depth-of-field effects, though. Make them too extreme and it's like you're looking at very small objects.

Back