A word of warning...

glHalfLife

Reaction score
To all who think its a good idea to purchase HL2 on Steam:

Having pre-ordered HL2 from Amazon for £24.99 with free delivery, I am fairly pleased that I have managed to get HL2 at a good price. However, after hearing of the news that HL2 can be purchased on Steam and I can get the full version of CS:S NOW! really was a big draw... hmmm until I saw the final price!

I know the retail version of HL2 will only come with HL2:S and CS:S. Anyway, I looked at the Silver package and thought, "why not get the silver package and A: get CS:S now, B: get DOD:S and HL:S when they come out aswell". I converted the $59.95 to British Pounds, which came to £33.43. I thought ok thats a little more than £24.99 but I suppose at least I get to play CS:S now. Anyway, I went through and got the final price as $70!!! (inc tax), which converts to £39.03. Well, I sat back and thought, that means I am wasting £14.04 just to get CS:S now and DOD:S + HL:S later (which they aren't even released yet). Anyway, I decided to cancel and wait. Thats £14.04 that could go towards a new DVD drive or new ATI...

All I am saying is, decide whether it really is worth it!

Heck, you don't even get a nice retail box at the end of it and you have to have an internet connection if you format and want to re-install.

Just my 2 cents but my conclusion is... I'll wait! and purchase DOD:S for a tiny sum after I receive my retail box.

EDIT: To the guy below -> I still get a good 30fps

I wouldn't wanna run cs source on your system right now too. Gj saving some money. Maybe it could go toward getting a system that plays it silky smooth.

Well I'm buying it from retail but i'm playing cs:s now. :) My bro bought the silver package and I use his account. :)

I was hardcore retail up until today. I purchased the Silver Edition and went pro-Valve. I now don't have to worry about ever scratching my cd's, switching cd's in and out during install (as its already installed), i get dod:s and hl:s, if i reformat, its as simple as logging into steam and downloading it again. plus, cs:s early. im very happy with my decision.

I was going with retail too until they actually released it and then I said what the hell.

I get CS:S now. I get HL:S and DOD:S for less than a tenner, and they'll cost more separately. But mosti mportantly I don't have to rush out to the shop, wait for delivery or even install the game. When they release it I just press play.

It's genius.

I'm going steam too. At least playing CS:S can help keep me from going INSANE :rolling: waiting for HL2 release! And the fact that steam means I do not need to keep a CD in the tray, or risk scratching my only copies is just bonus.

Steam all the way for me. Anything I can do to support the developers.

I'm buying Gold soon, I need my check first though, a good $110 investment I think. Plus the book.

At first I wanted to buy the retail version of HL2, but I wanted DoD:S and HL:S even if those games aren't released yet. And the only way to get HL:S is to buy the CE retail version which costs like $85.
Also, buying the normal retail version in stores would cost me $55 for the game + $6-7 CA tax... so basically, the Silver version costs as much as the normal retail version, but I get HL:S and DoD:S for the same price... and I can play CSS now ;)

dont be such a tight tw*t

ive bought thru steam and im gonna get the retail also just for a hardcopy... :p

Well I purchased through steam so when HL2 is relased I dont have to waste money on gas and waste time to travel, I can automatically play it. I guess its really a personnal preference but at least ive finnaly been able to play CS:S

How much is "tax" and how is it calculated? Depending on where you live?

ok. QUESTION.

So is it true that if I dl off of steam, and i reformat, that I can go back to steam and re-download it free of charge?

$10 more for DOD:S and HL:S and CS:S now, hell yes.

By the way: The rest of the CS:S maps kick ass.

Boo-ya Grandma

mortey said:
So is it true that if I dl off of steam, and i reformat, that I can go back to steam and re-download it free of charge?
I would think you will be able to download it again although I doubt valve would thank you for it, you could always back it up to CD if you’ve got a CDR drive…I wonder how many CD will it take to back up all these games?

:upstare:

maxro said:
I would think you will be able to download it again although I doubt valve would thank you for it, you could always back it up to CD if you’ve got a CDR drive…I wonder how many CD will it take to back up all these games?

hehe, I'm guessing a lot. A better recommendation would be backing up on DVD media. I am planning on getting a DVD burner soon because they are getting hella cheap now.

maxro said:

I'm going to get one of those little round CD booklets just for HL2 it'll be so many lol. I plan on burning the files immediately If I buy through steam so I'll have a hard copy, just not the normal install. I just gotta figure out how exactly to split or span or whatever the hell its called to get the huge files on cds.

why in the world would you burn it? just login to your account on the new computer and preload all your stuff...DUH!

I just had a flash back of using pkzip in dos to span doom over several floppy disks.

Rocketman9mm said:
I'm going to get one of those little round CD booklets just for HL2 it'll be so many lol. I plan on burning the files immediately If I buy through steam so I'll have a hard copy, just not the normal install. I just gotta figure out how exactly to split or span or whatever the hell its called to get the huge files on cds.

I can highly recommend this case for storing your collection, cleared 3 big shelves of CDs, just what to do with 250 odd CD cases :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ATMG/pd_ka_2/202-5562714-1486203

Im getting Gold. No tax for me so it's good. You can re-download things from steam for no extra charge. You can even back up your GCF files to cd / dvd.

If you want a CD so bad, get gold, you get the box. Then, burn your hl2 files and all to a dvd or cd and make some pretty CD Covers and a sticky label to go on the cd :) Now you have a hard copy :p.

I know, I have to much time lol.

operative x said:
why in the world would you burn it? just login to your account on the new computer and preload all your stuff...DUH!

Not all of us have 1mb/s internet connections :p Cost us enough here in nz for 300kb/s connections -_o

glHalfLife said:
To all who think its a good idea to purchase HL2 on Steam:

Having pre-ordered HL2 from Amazon for £24.99 with free delivery, I am fairly pleased that I have managed to get HL2 at a good price. However, after hearing of the news that HL2 can be purchased on Steam and I can get the full version of CS:S NOW! really was a big draw... hmmm until I saw the final price!

I know the retail version of HL2 will only come with HL2:S and CS:S. Anyway, I looked at the Silver package and thought, "why not get the silver package and A: get CS:S now, B: get DOD:S and HL:S when they come out aswell". I converted the $59.95 to British Pounds, which came to £33.43. I thought ok thats a little more than £24.99 but I suppose at least I get to play CS:S now. Anyway, I went through and got the final price as $70!!! (inc tax), which converts to £39.03. Well, I sat back and thought, that means I am wasting £14.04 just to get CS:S now and DOD:S + HL:S later (which they aren't even released yet). Anyway, I decided to cancel and wait. Thats £14.04 that could go towards a new DVD drive or new ATI...

All I am saying is, decide whether it really is worth it!

Heck, you don't even get a nice retail box at the end of it and you have to have an internet connection if you format and want to re-install.

Just my 2 cents but my conclusion is... I'll wait! and purchase DOD:S for a tiny sum after I receive my retail box.

EDIT: To the guy below -> I still get a good 30fps

Jesus dude sounds like your super low on cash :/ I cant live like that. Worring about the next thing i have to get and lowest price all the shit. Manage your money correctly you should have a problem buying whatever you like. Just a asumtion.

Back