About my CPu

M

MyDocuments

I always hear about how people are getting descent framerates on their computers

i have a 9600xt with 1 gig memory, 80 gig harddrive and my cpu is a amd athlon xp 2200+ 1.8 ghz. Is it time for a new processor to get better graphics and fps?

P.s. sorry I always come to this site and I would post on here but i couldnt find any info anywhere else and guys all seem really nice. Thank you.

Well its good you looked around first
/me salutes

The CPU shouldnt drop your FPS that much, if you were going to invest money i would say get a 9800 Pro or something along those lines

If you do decide to get a new CPU and you are on a budget, get a AMD Barton 2500+

SpuD said:
If you do decide to get a new CPU and you are on a budget, get a AMD Barton 2500+

Or some mice and a wheel. I hear you can save a lot going that road.

well im getting anywhere from 60-18 fps. I reforrmatted my computer and installed all the latest drivers for it and still getting 60-18 fps. So i got to thinking it is my 1.8 ghz processor, figured if i upgraded to 3200xp i should be fine.

Im not on a budget and ill be getting a x800xt soon, but i want to still use this video card for another computer.

imo, going from a 2200 to a 2500 isn't enough of a step up to warant a upgrade. i don't think you'd even notice a difference. if you are going to upgrade though, i'd go with the athlon 64 3000+ (but obviously you'd have to get a new mobo)

A faster cpu around a 3400 A64 would get you performance gains that are worth upgrading for. Source is an extremely CPU capped game.

Yeah i'd say CPU, i run a gf4 ti4600 and get anywhere from 30-100 fps (99% of the time lol), got a P4 3.0ghz and gig corsair c2pro aswell.

So i'd say upgrade the cpu by atleast like 800mhz

Ages120 said:
A faster cpu around a 3400 A64 would get you performance gains that are worth upgrading for. Source is an extremely CPU capped game.
finally somebody who realisis it is..
everybody keeps saying CSS isn't need a good CPU but instead needs an extreme video card..
i have the living proof it's not true..

I have an
AMD 2000+ @1.6ghz (overclocking is not an option.. my MB doens't comply)
512mb ram
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb

My little brother has an
Intel Celeron 2.8ghz @ 2.8ghz
512mb ram
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb

both running on exact the same settings
so its the same except our CPU..
he can run CSS with an avarage FPS of 40 - 60
I can run CSS with an avarage of 9-13 fps
conclusion: CSS definitly needs a good CPU..

a 3200 XP would cost you about $200 and a MB for about $50

I find in Source that my 9800pro is being held back by my XP-M 2500+ at anything below 2.3ghz. I get steady gains in my fps up until 2.2-2.3ghz, but anything after that i get absolutely no performance increase whatsoever. Whether thats 2.4/2.5 or 2.6ghz, my fps will remain the same.

At a rough guess i'd say then when using a 9600xt, your cpu will be the limiting factor until around 2-2.1ghz (for AMD systems).

i think you should make sure you have the best drivers for everything especially the BIOS

Back