dreten707

Reaction score
there is still that anoying shadow... see the picture

Attachments

• hl2.JPG
    hl2.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,063
maybe its not a shadow

edit: duh its obviously the rupture leading to the rift in the space-time continium leading you all to the big boss at the end of the game!!!

it's been about 4 months since the video was taken. it's probably already fixed by now.

not only is it wrong, it's very wrong, shaddows do NOT have hard edges ever that high up. hold out a cup in a room, you might see a shaded area on the ground, you don't see a solid shape.

shadows render wrong in every way possible except where it shows up.

that is pretty bad.

btw, when i say "that high up", i'm speaking of right before the screenshot shown. the shadows look the same when the giant crate thingy is really really high up.

you make a game engine capable of rendering photorealistic shadows then smartarse

they could just blur the edge based on height from the ground, and i could simulate that in flash actually. flash!! this is leading game engine... they can do SOMETHING i'm sure.

I care. When it is something THAT largely apparent, it does take away from the realism nature of the game.

dreten707 said:
there is still that anoying shadow... see the picture

God no, not another "the shadows are crap" thread.....

Yes, it is still there. but I recall there being a post on here about 2 months ago saying that Valve had been contacted and this was FIXED.

Valve stated no more NEW material would be released. This is just a bink of an old video.

exoeight said:
they could just blur the edge based on height from the ground, and i could simulate that in flash actually. flash!! this is leading game engine... they can do SOMETHING i'm sure.

Can't be compared, ever. Even UnrealEngine 3 uses hacks to simulate true softshadows, and they have their limitations (only one soft shadow per object).

And I doubt it's "fixed" (there is nothing to fix, it ain't a bug) don't count on it. And I can't recall any statement from Valve regarding this, only that they were "aware of it".

silly people... "its obviously the rupture leading to the rift in the space-time continium leading you all to the big boss at the end of the game!!!!!!!"

exoeight said:
where is the proof that they said it's fixed.

Try looking in the stickey at the very top, about questions sent to valve.

You'd have to watch the video yourself for "proof". That, or you could sneak over to Valve's offices and ask them nicely for a game demonstration to as to satisfy your quest for shadow-perfection. *sigh* I hate these posts...

i think using the technique they are using, it's actually a pretty hard problem to fix and maintain performance. i think the shadows are just projected textures - they are not generated from real-time shadow buffers, so the only info they have about what objects can block the shadows is the stuff in the map file - the walls, floors etc. moving entities just get ignored.

they could prerender the shadows into the stencil buffer to cut out overlaps, but then you lose the soft edges you get with the dx9 shadows. or they could render the shadows into destination alpha to keep the soft edges in dx9, but that only works in 32 bit color mode. maybe they want ppl to be able to run in 16 bit color mode. or maybe there are other problems with that, dunno

exoeight said:
not only is it wrong, it's very wrong, shaddows do NOT have hard edges ever that high up. hold out a cup in a room, you might see a shaded area on the ground, you don't see a solid shape.

shadows render wrong in every way possible except where it shows up.

that is pretty bad.

btw, when i say "that high up", i'm speaking of right before the screenshot shown. the shadows look the same when the giant crate thingy is really really high up.

You have no idea. When you hold a cup up in your room you can't see a defined shape because the light source is so close the cup, the sun is a qudrillion miles away. I'm pretty sure I see crisp clear shadows all the time.

btw, i just went outside, not ****ing crisp shadows, they are lookin blured to me, ohhhh yeah. no crisp lines anywhere, common sense? step out your door.

That reminds me- I hate Doom 3 fanboys that come to these boards and bash Half Life 2 for "having b@d grafix". People need to realize that shadows are completely dependant on their lightsource and position. Yes, if a room was completely occluded in darkness with only one small lightsource, the shadows would be very crisp and dark. That, however, is not the case with outdoor environments. Shadows would appear very light or almost not even visible, mainly because there is so much light and a great deal of it is being reflected by nearby objects.

exoeight said:
btw, i just went outside, not ****ing crisp shadows, they are lookin blured to me, ohhhh yeah. no crisp lines anywhere, common sense? step out your door.

What? You went outside? This will be a day to remeber. ;)

MrBongo said:
That reminds me- I hate Doom 3 fanboys that come to these boards and bash Half Life 2 for "having b@d grafix". People need to realize that shadows are completely dependant on their lightsource and position. Yes, if a room was completely occluded in darkness with only one small lightsource, the shadows would be very crisp and dark. That, however, is not the case with outdoor environments. Shadows would appear very light or almost not even visible, mainly because there is so much light and a great deal of it is being reflected by nearby objects.

I don't see any doom 3 fanboys, why bring it up?

[[LuCkY]] said:
I don't see any doom 3 fanboys, why bring it up?

GLeeeAAARGHHH!! RLEEAAOOURRGHH!!!! D00m3 Pwnz0RZ!!! HL2= Bad GrapHikS!!!! SHad0wz SucKz0RS!!! gleargh!!

Terranboy said:
You have no idea. When you hold a cup up in your room you can't see a defined shape because the light source is so close the cup, the sun is a qudrillion miles away. I'm pretty sure I see crisp clear shadows all the time.
The Sun may be 93 million miles way, but it's also 865,000 miles in diameter. So, an object that is 6ft from the ground would have a blurred edge about 0.65in thick... if you ignore the wave properties of light, the scattering effect of the air molecules, and clouds diffusing the light.

everybody has already argued about this. they cant fix it without a significant engine change and performance drop.

DarkSonic said:
I care. When it is something THAT largely apparent, it does take away from the realism nature of the game.

Oh yeah, because we all drive along a beach knocking over starship trooper like bugs dont we :rolleyes:

exoeight said:

its very hard to make soft shadows with a decent framerate. Check some of the Carmack interviews. The only engine i see with real time shadows is unreal 3.0 engine. Doom 3 does a damn good job at it also.

No sharp shadows in real life? What kind of drugs are you on?! This is taken out of my (3rd story) apartment:
shadows.jpg

DarkSonic said:
How more ****ing ignorant could you be? You'll have to excuse the cursing, but this pisses me off. THE GAME IS SUPPOSED TO DRAW THE PLAYER IN, AND WHEN YOU SEE SHIT LIKE THAT, IT BRINGS YOU OUT, AND MAKES IT FEEL LESS LIKE REAL, AND MORE LIKE A CRAPPY GAME!

****!

Its 2004, not 2008...you want huge outdoor detailed enviroments with realistic shadows then you wait.

....I was stating that an error as large as that would make take a player "out of the game," thus making it feel less realistic. The whole purpose of next generation graphics is to make the player feel as if they are in the game. With that error, it would bring the realism down, and ruin the experience. Guess what, I already have games like Far Cry and Doom 3 that draw me into the game. If this error ships with the game, then it will be very dissapointing. Then you retaliate with "Its 2004, not 2008...you want huge outdoor detailed enviroments with realistic shadows then you wait." That is the worst comeback I've ever read in my life. BTW, I don't need to wait, I can just go play Far Cry.

CatBOne said:
Try looking in the stickey at the very top, about questions sent to valve.

Easy way to tell: HEY! CS:S Beta testers! Is the shadow bug fixed?

You guys might expect too much out of this game...The shadows won't be perfect.

Well, I don't expect them to be...probably better than what is shown in that bink..but still...

Evil^Milk said:
it's been about 4 months since the video was taken. it's probably already fixed by now.
We've been saying that since May 2003.

DarkSonic: Remember that you're on the internet TYPING IN CAPS doesn't get your point across better. Try and be more constructive.

I'm going to have to be brutely honest.

If the worst thing I can say about the game is that the shadows are not realistic to the point of perfection then by joad; this is one of the best games made.

I have to say that i dont understand what everyone is talking about? Is the issue:

A: that the shadows are too crisp?

or

B: when two shadows overlap, the area of the verlap is toodark?

If its A, then i dont mind it at all, they look fine to me, certainly not anything that will pull me out of the game.

If its B, then i take it the problem is supposed to be the round circlular shadow thats highlited in the pic? If you ask me thats not a shadow, it looks like an oil stain or something similar imo, in which case the shadows look perfectly correct. I might be wrong but i just cant see anything that would be casting a round shadow in that area.

Back