About the barnacles

Combine Hybrid said:
Wow... too bad they didn't include that weapon in HL2.

Nah, not really. I almost never used it except in the parts where it was absolutly necessary.

Combine Hybrid said:
Wow... too bad they didn't include that weapon in HL2.
Opposing Force used a lot of swinging, climbing, soldier-type movements that the other games did not. The barnacle gun fit in with that quite nicely. Similar to the gravity gun, it provided unique opportunities to solve puzzles that were not otherwise possible to overcome. The spore launcher, which was a sort of fish, was also very cool. It was my favorite weapon when in combat over longer distances. However, neither would fit in with the Half-Life 2 storyline. HL2 resembled CS:S more than HL in some ways, and my guess is that they wanted to keep most of the weapons more mechanical than organic.

I'll say this, there's nothing like watching a dead barnacle belch out its last meal! Also, like some of the others, I have thought it was a rope. Even during HL2, while underwater I thought I had grabbed hold of a rope that was pulling me up. I didnt see the barnacle at first because I was submerged, and despite never encountering a rope before in the entire game I was convinced I was being pulled to safety by one!

Back