According to release dates: LISTEN TO VU OR VALVE

Robert

Reaction score
Many many posts about that amazon chnaged their release date of hl2 to that date and that site changed their release date to that date, that is NOT reliable sources.

The only sources you can trust is Valvesoftware or Vivendi Universial Games.

No one else knows when the game will come out. So when VUG/Valve announces an release date, that's the date when Hl2 will come.

Doug said that HL2 will come this FALL, so dates are not nessicary (badspell!).

So get this once again. Trust only

VALVE

or

VUG

Robert said:
Doug said that HL2 will come this FALL

Doug also said Sept 30, 2003. Doug also said Summer 2004.

So maybe we should just trust Vivendi because so far they are the only ones who have not said anything. :p

Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky

Plug said:
Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky
yeah yeah

alehm said:
Doug also said Sept 30, 2003. Doug also said Summer 2004.

So maybe we should just trust Vivendi because so far they are the only ones who have not said anything. :p

Well, Doug Lombardi is more reliable then Walmart ;)

Yeah yeah, we all know that only Vivendi dates count. It's just that there's a lot of enthusiastic people and it's fun to speculate about it.

i don't trust either.

when it becomes available to play on my machine, then i'll believe that there is a real release date. until then, EVERY date is just speculation.

im numb to the whole release date of hl2 now. next year is good for me.

I've known the release date all along - I'm psychic you see. And no, I'm not telling!

The only party to trust on the matter is the only party that has authority over HL2's release date - Vivendi.

Robert said:
Doug said that HL2 will come this FALL, so dates are not nessicary (badspell!).
DOUG NEVER SAID THIS. He said "We are still hopeful, however, to see the game on store shelves this fall,". Not it's going to be out in the fall.

X-Vector said:
The only party to trust on the matter is the only party that has authority over HL2's release date - Vivendi.

i agree with you totally!!! :cheers:

Well, it will definitely be an interesting next few weeks here in the community, Valve and Vivendi. Anything can happen at anytime.

I tent to listen to the skeleton cats that live in the black forest behind my castle.

The esteemed Master of the Obvious should visit this forum more often to beat some sense into people's skulls.

please dont sticky this. just because he uses oversized text and the words 'valve' and 'vu' doesnt mean it contains anything important whatsoever.

This is bold so you pay attention.

The facts

1. When there is no official release date for a game, retailers (high street and online) guess a probable release date, because that way they get pre-orders. These dates are conjecture based on the same info we all have (web speculation/guesswork)

2. Just before a game is released, the game's publisher will contact the people at the retailers and tell them the release date BEFORE THEY GO PUBLIC WITH ANYONE ELSE. This gives the retailers the time to buy stock, organise shelf space etc. before the public know. At this point the retailers are the most knowledgeable people outside of the publisher when it comes to release dates (they might even know before the developer)

There have been numerous instances in recent times of people like Amazon changing their release dates to the official one before it is public, because they have been given the info by the games publisher.

DO pay attention to retailer’s dates (like Amazon), especially close to the guessed release of the game (like if a RC has been submitted), because they do know more than you, in that they have a direct line to the publisher, and because it is in the interest of publishers to keep retail happy.

The fanboy/forumboy received wisdom is usually wrong. This thread should not be sticky

Dagobert said:

2. Just before a game is released, the game's publisher will contact the people at the retailers and tell them the release date BEFORE THEY GO PUBLIC WITH ANYONE ELSE. This gives the retailers the time to buy stock,

That is illegal ask Martha.

Dagobert said:

DO pay attention to retailer’s dates (like Amazon), especially close to the guessed release of the game (like if a RC has been submitted)

While this may be true for the majority of titles, I fail to see how this is of any use concerning a product so shrouded in uncertainty as HL2 is.

Of course the retailers will eventually get it right and there is a probability they will do so before the official word, but how are people to know when the boy crying wolf isn't janking their chains anymore?

While this may be true for the majority of titles, I fail to see how this is of any use concerning a product so shrouded in uncertainty as HL2 is.
HL2 isn't shrouded in more uncertainly than most titles. Most titles are not under the same scrutiny as HL2. Anyway, the game is past the RC submission stage. This is not an uncertain time, the game will be out in a couple of months at the latest.

Why on earth would you sticky this?

It's useless info.

Dagobert said:
DO pay attention to retailer’s dates (like Amazon), especially close to the guessed release of the game (like if a RC has been submitted), because they do know more than you, in that they have a direct line to the publisher, and because it is in the interest of publishers to keep retail happy.
I agreed with you up until this point. I think the major shops are more likely to know, because that's the big sales come from - and they need to have displays/etc ready. Amazon are relatively small players.

Dagobert said:
This is bold so you pay attention.

The facts

1. When there is no official release date for a game, retailers (high street and online) guess a probable release date, because that way they get pre-orders. These dates are conjecture based on the same info we all have (web speculation/guesswork)

2. Just before a game is released, the game's publisher will contact the people at the retailers and tell them the release date BEFORE THEY GO PUBLIC WITH ANYONE ELSE. This gives the retailers the time to buy stock, organise shelf space etc. before the public know. At this point the retailers are the most knowledgeable people outside of the publisher when it comes to release dates (they might even know before the developer)

There have been numerous instances in recent times of people like Amazon changing their release dates to the official one before it is public, because they have been given the info by the games publisher.

The fanboy/forumboy received wisdom is usually wrong. This thread should not be sticky

I hate to break it to you but retailers don't know jack about release dates. They ESTIMATE!!! They get their facts messed up just as much as the fanboy/forumboys do. And most of the time they prolly get their info from those same fanboy/forumboys.

I hate to break it to you but retailers don't know jack about release dates. They ESTIMATE!!! They get their facts messed up just as much as the fanboy/forumboys do. And most of the time they prolly get their info from those same fanboy/forumboys.
Dude, that's exactly what I said in point one above.

This SHOULD NOT be stickied.

If VALVe is submitting Release Candidates to Vivendi Universal Games for APPROVAL how can VALVe release a date? VUG will release the date.

The kid at Jack in the Box said it was coming out at 3:04PM next Monday

duke2 said:
The kid at Jack in the Box said it was coming out at 3:04PM next Monday
oh-four? hmm thats unusual.
Maybe we can hyjack this thread or post illigal things in it to get it closed.
Let it sink to the bottom.

Back