Achievements Unlocker = Fail

Honestly I used the Achivevemt unlocker. My weapons for scout was removed. So what? I dont regret anything. I dont understand you ****ers getting pissed over them who use it. Why do you care? my penis is more than 7 inches, I have a smoking hot girlfriend, and a social life, Im going to a school where I also live. Exactly therefor I do not have time to care for achivements, if I wanna play like everybody else for an hour. I would just not have the same oppotunities to play with new weapons. Its those with a lot of time who have time to make the achivements. And I dont.

I only speak when I really have something to say here. Ive been here long but dont say much.

If i want to be rewarded and get satisfied, i'll have my girlfriend give me a blow job.

Sex is like air. Its only a big deal if your not getting any.

Seriously though. When you cheaters see me get my achievements on a regular server and see me get my milestones legitimately it "irks" them a bit. I don't value the unlocks as much as they do. So I don't need to go out of my way to try to get them. I just keep playing normally and wait for those amazing moments to happen that rewards me with an achievement. Patience is a virtue.

they should have had these items blocked forever, along with any other unlockable, plus a nice "[CHEATER]" prefix on their name, so everybody could point the finger at them an laugh :]

One week without the unlockables? your taking it easy on them. They'll probably play Tibia for this week and won't even notice the punishment.

they should have had these items blocked forever, along with any other unlockable, plus a nice "[CHEATER]" prefix on their name, so everybody could point the finger at them an laugh :]

One week without the unlockables? your taking it easy on them. They'll probably play Tibia for this week and won't even notice the punishment.

And this is worse then all these people who have exploited in the past? All those engis that were building under the levels and cheating. Those are far worse as proved by Valves punishment. Those who exploited the game to get an advantage got a months ban while those who unlocked the weapons got a week. I like all these cry babys saying that we should lose all current and future unlockables permanently. Just admit you pissed off cause you can't show off your achievments anymore. If Valve were to ever give a permanent ban for something as trivial as this i would never buy another Valve multi-player game again.

Ahem.

Please, could everybody try to step back and think about if what is going on is "cheating" and, if it is, is "cheating" so bad?

By using the achievement grabs to get unlockable weapons earlier you are

A) Not affecting other people's experience in any way. It could be argued that you are in fact saving others a lot of trouble because if they weren't using this cheat they could be very blatantly whoring and thus making playing an unpleasant experience for others.

B) Getting game content that Valve intended you to have.

Now, I don't do acheatments myself (I am prone to whoring a great deal, for kicks) as it seems far more rewarding to gain them by natural means, but it's stupid to condemn others for doing so.

I see what Valve is trying to do here, and it's hilarious, but I fear they may be doing more harm than good with this punishment.

I wouldn't go that far. VAC banning should be the only permanent punishment. In principle, I wouldn't mind a VAC ban for this, as it would send out a clear message that cheating isn't tolerated at all, but I think that's a horrible idea in practice -- you'd have way too much of a backlash. After all, the same idea can be accomplished in 15 minutes on an achievement server, which is almost as lame but at least isn't technically cheating.

I was thinking 6 months or so without the unlocks. The [CHEATER] tag is a fun idea: from a social perspective, it'd be interesting to see people react to a "mark of Cain." It could also be useful in finding good insecure servers.

Ahem.

Please, could everybody try to step back and think about if what is going on is "cheating" and, if it is, is "cheating" so bad?

By using the achievement grabs to get unlockable weapons earlier you are

A) Not affecting other people's experience in any way. It could be argued that you are in fact saving others a lot of trouble because if they weren't using this cheat they could be very blatantly whoring and thus making playing an unpleasant experience for others.

Now, I don't do acheatments myself (I am prone to whoring a great deal, for kicks) as it seems far more rewarding to gain them by natural means, but it's stupid to condemn others for doing so.

I see what Valve is trying to do here, and it's hilarious, but I fear they may be doing more harm than good with this punishment.
*cough*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25RCLXpmbU&feature=related
How is using a program that gives you the weapons instantly instead of whoring for them considered that video? There are cheats and exploits and people get the 2 confused. Valve messed up the Medic unlocks and made everybody get them again. Then some people were using an exploit and they got banned from using the unlocks for a month or something. Now for the third time they remove them for a week. Really what is Valve doing?

I, truthfully, don't care how the achievements are gotten. I'll get them how I want, the end. BUT, I'm so sick and tired of hearing this argument.

Quit closing your eyes to half of the picture. So it's OK to get what Valve intended you to get by going around the way that Valve intended you to take? Quit being so hypocritical.

so much as I think it's "incredibly lame" to cheat.

Life isn't fair, you will come to know this.

And you sir, need some friends and you know, a life beyond your Steam account.

I notice the only people really crying about the unlocker are those who have nothing better to do with themselves.

I cite the majority of Achievement servers, so many death-matching retards.

I went on several, and finally got the new shotty and bat, not that it matters, I play other classes mostly anyway.

Honestly, you just gotta smile a little or shrug it off in complete disinterest when someone starts flapping their gums at you about the honour of "doing it the right way" and all that and how I am a lower form of human because of this or because of that, all based on utterly meaningless "ranks" they have created in their mind in regards to a flippin game.

Hey, you want to unlock the slow old fashioned way, hey great, whatever floats your boat, but being all smug and up your own arse and telling other people they are scum or deserving of having their entire steam account banned and their pet dying and losing their job or whatever punishment you deem fitting for "cheating" (which doesn't effect your game experience one iota) is just pathetic and really, I cant see most folk responding with anything else but a shrug and a "whatever".

Its a game, a silly little game that we all enjoy for our own reasons, as long as we aren't hacking it up and actually abusing, then sod it, no-one should care how you go about unlocking achievements.

the same idea can be accomplished in 15 minutes on an achievement serve

15 minutes is a rather optimistic number.

Quit closing your eyes to half of the picture. So it's OK to get what Valve intended you to get by going around the way that Valve intended you to take? Quit being so hypocritical.

Lenin expected people to react a certain way to communism, and that worked out a treat right?.

Even if Valve came down rock hard on people for using an unlock command or whatever, where would it stop?, naturally achievement servers are against the spirit of doing it "the proper way" or however you decide to see Valves intentions.

Okay, all achievement servers and maps are instant account ban, but what about whoring in normal servers?, or cooping?, instant ban to?, where does it stop, perhaps playing at all is against the spirit of fairness.

Really, its a stupid issue, let people play how they want, the only rule should be that it doesn't give you an unfair advantage like hacking or exploiting a bug or whatever.

It seems to me that Valve was trying to promote the longevity of the game. By providing rewards and achievements, it motivates people to continue playing their game where they otherwise might lose interest. You can't tell me that everyone would spend as long playing the game otherwise.

By the way, using this exploit is nothing to be proud of. It IS still cheating in my book.

It seems to me that Valve was trying to promote the longevity of the game. By providing rewards and achievements, it motivates people to continue playing their game where they otherwise might lose interest. You can't tell me that everyone would spend as long playing the game otherwise.

By the way, using this exploit is nothing to be proud of. It IS still cheating in my book.

Yes i could. I and many others don't play this game to get achievement's, i play it for fun. When Valve releases some new achievement's i don't go wow i gotta get em all, i don't give a shit about them. I don't think that achievement's have ever helped the longevity of this game. It's the mainly the new maps, gameplay types and unlockables that keep people interested. Most people grind them in the first couple of weeks anyway. You can call it cheating if you want. But then call Achievement servers cheating as well.

Now hang on there. How have i using that tool harmed you? It's not like i'm using an aimbot or seeing you though walls, all i've done is unlocked a few weapons. It no worse than using an achievement server. Also i can't get VAC banned as the rules state you have to be hacking in a VAC secure server to be banned, which the tool doesn't do. Just go cry some more.

You DO have an advantage, if you didn't, what would be the point using it? You have the ability to choose your arsenal and use weapons you are supposed to unlock, but you did it through means that are not intended in the game. Achievment servers a different thing, its using all the same resources the game has to offer for everybody, just in a different way. You, on the other hand, are actually using an outside program to crack the games files or w.e and unlock them automatically, now if that doesn't sound like hacking to you, then what does?

How many people would feel compelled to cheat the system again if Valve issued an announcement that it would result in a VAC ban? Not many, thats for sure, so go ahead and say im crying, just so you can cover up your guilty ass from the stupid and low thing you know you did. Once a hacker, always a hacker.

You DO have an advantage, if you didn't, what would be the point using it? You have the ability to choose your arsenal and use weapons you are supposed to unlock, but you did it through means that are not intended in the game. Achievment servers a different thing, its using all the same resources the game has to offer for everybody, just in a different way. You, on the other hand, are actually using an outside program to crack the games files or w.e and unlock them automatically, now if that doesn't sound like hacking to you, then what does?

How many people would feel compelled to cheat the system again if Valve issued an announcement that it would result in a VAC ban? Not many, thats for sure, so go ahead and say im crying, just so you can cover up your guilty ass from the stupid and low thing you know you did. Once a hacker, always a hacker.

Achievement servers are not intended as well. The maps are modified to make them easier to get. The only legit way to get them is to play the game normally.This cannot be a VAC bannable offence unless Valve change the rules. You can hack to your hearts content as long as it's not on a VAC secured server.
Hacking for me is when you get a clear advantage such as aimbotting or wallhacking. This tool is no worse than scripts you can use to rocketjump.etc
And since this doesn't hack into anything it's not breaking any rules. You can say what i did was low, but i really don't give a shit. I can't be assed having to waste time grinding for achievement's. I just want to play to have fun. I don't have time to waste trying to get weapons in a game i paided for. I paided to have the full experience not to be told i have to jump though loads of hoops to get them.

Yeah, I do.

Besides, some might call it stupid or a waste of time or whatever, but I think working to get the achievements is half the fun.

Some people don't think that. I don't want to play with those people, and I'd be surprised if you do.

I, truthfully, don't care how the achievements are gotten. I'll get them how I want, the end. BUT, I'm so sick and tired of hearing this argument.

I didn't say anything to contradict myself...

I like the content Valve is giving us, and I use the route intended to get it. Some people would rather just get it and instead of having to grind through the work. Being forced to work on achievements is being forced to do something they don't want to do. That does not make the game more appealing to them at all.

The game you paided for didn't have unlockable weapons when it was launched.

Yes, but i paided for the game with the promise of continued support and additional features. The game now is on sale with the promise of these features. What they don't say is all the hoops you gotta go though before you get the full game.

In My Opinion

Yes, but i paided for the game with the promise of continued support and additional features. The game now is on sale with the promise of these features. What they don't say is all the hoops you gotta go though before you get the full game.

I thought this was an interesting statement. I can understand where your logic is coming from, however, I do have something to say against it. For example, what are all the millions of people who play MMOs doing when they pay for the game? Obviously, you start out at the baseline. But working under your premise, everyone should have all the gear, stats, etc, that are available in the game, just because you pay for it (a point which is exacerbated by the fact that MMOs have a monthly fee whereas TF2 does not).

I think though that what may be a simple idea is growing into something with complex ideas that lead to pages of right and wrong discussions like this one. This is a game, and one core idea embedded into the game idea is that something is going to be accomplished. That is to say, through the interaction of the user, something will change based on their input. Now, the point of it all, as far as I can tell, is that we as gamers are working. When we all played Half life 2, we died sometimes, we eventually beat it, and so on. But its an effort your putting out, because its an equivalent of an ancient instinct to exist in the best possible way, to rise to a challenge (succeeding in the hunt, for example).

I personally enjoy the mechanic of getting achievements because it signifies that I met the challenge presented by the game designers. This means that I, similar to real life, am a little saddened when I'm annihilated by hordes of scouts with the full upgrade list because they didn't earn it as I feel I need to. Relating back to the hunt example, it reminds me of how using salt licks to hunt deer is illegal in a number of places since it removes the reason for the sport. Obviously, as I stated earlier, games are more complex than that. The primary function of TF2 is a multiplayer FPS, true. And it seems your working with the idea that the game exists only that way. This I believe is false. The game is entirely geared as the game creator determines, which has to be because they control the flow of updates, own the content, etc. This puts a very orderly seal on things, since it means that if Valve makes the game to have upgrades earned via achievements, that also means that that is part of the challenge they wish to deliver to you, or more exactly, that's the game they give you to play. In that light, some may say that if your not happy with trying to get the achievements on Valves terms, then Team Fortress 2 is not a game which you would enjoy. Similarly, if someone isn't happy grinding a few levels in an MMO, that also may not be the challenge they are looking for in a game.

Whether or not you paid for it is more or less irrelevant. Obviously, Valve is doing what they believe makes a good gaming experience, and thence deliver the value which we expect versus the money we paid. But here again I have to say that the money you spent was for the game they made. I may buy Bejeweled, but I have to understand that the money I am paying is for a casual puzzle game.

Certainly, its hard when games change over their lifetime, like MMOs. But in this day and age of game design, we have to accept that the money we spend on games may or may not give us the value we would expect. I think its a fair trade off to say that I'll pay fifty dollars for a game I may not like in the future, because inversely I may like it more later and therefore balance out other unsuccessful game purchases.

In summation, Valve has a right to reprimand people for their actions. I'm even surprised that people are allowed to grind on achievement boxes. This is because your paying for their product, their services. It becomes their jurisdiction, and if their game is not intended to be unlocked, so to speak, as people have been, then they are allowed to limit people via the game. If one is inclined to cheat in their realm, which is by their code, then they can exact punishment as they see fit. Similar to a restaurant in which you are uncomfortable, it may not be the best place for you to eat. Team Fortress 2 may not be the best game for you to play if this bothers you.

On those terms, the ones in which the game developer has set up and the game promotes, it is wrong to earn achievements in any other way than how is natural in the game, independent of absolute right and wrong in the real world (should absolute right and wrong truly exist).

Holy shit at that post. I agree with virtually everything you're saying, I just disagree with you for thinking that Valve made a good decision by not allowing/punishing the use of the cheat.

I'll just copy/paste a post from a different forum:

anyone with around 100+ hours (or less, 100 is just a nice round number) as scout should automatically get all the achievements that don't involve the new weapons since chances are they've already completed them the entire year they've spent playing the dang class.

Achievements can't be earned until they're released.

that's why it says everyone with 100+ hours should be granted the achievements, since chances are they've already done them.. ;p

What happens to the people who just unlocked the milestone achievements to get the weapons, and leave the others to do normally? Did they lose them too?

Wait...wait. So if you run an achievement unlocker you don't get VAC banned? And although you don't get them for another week will you still have them unlocked by next week?

Because I think I might run that achievement unlocker! :D

You can only be VAC banned by running a hack on a VAC server. Why is that so hard to understand? A good unlocker doesn't even need TF2 running.

Wow what a shock that Valve has a problem with 3rd party programs that alter the game in ways they don't want.

You want to complain about something complain that the weapons are locked to achievements or complain about the style of the achievements themselves but don't try to justify the unlockers use.

You want to complain about something complain that the weapons are locked to achievements or complain about the style of the achievements themselves but don't try to justify the unlockers use.
Err..sounds like one in the same as far as reasoning for it goes :O

Working to get the achievements should be part of the fun, not a starting point to have fun. Unlocker = no fun = fail. Plus, it's highly disrespectful towards people who worked hard to get them. It's... well... cheating ;)

I personally think that all the 'alternate' weapons should have just been provided from the start, with the whole bunch of achievements just stuffed in to unlock... hell, I don't know, vidoes or something. Although they'd all go on Youtube straight off. Huh, screw this unlock mentality.

I have met more than my fair share of .netter's who go on achievement servers. :eek: We don't give a flying **** about Valve and another one of it's failed game ideas. We just want to play with the new weapons.

Working to get the achievements should be part of the fun, not a starting point to have fun. Unlocker = no fun = fail. Plus, it's highly disrespectful towards people who worked hard to get them. It's... well... cheating ;)

Again, someone is electing to connecting how other people play that has absolutely to effect upon you personally.

Its not a sign of disrespect, at best its simply someone who doesn't share your arguably poor perspective on a game.

Also, like I said, as Hool10 has proved quite kindly, most people who don't share your "I play this game too much" or whatever logic you use to justify your position simply couldn't give a **** about your opinion.

They are playing a game as they see fit, they aren't bothering anyone else aside from a few peoples misplaced ego's over their easy-come easy-go achievement padded profiles.

Valve can do what they want but I think that the one week lock-out from their unlocks is as far as it should ever go.

If people wanted to play an MMO they wouldn't be playing TF2, they'd be grinding 5000 billion pigs for one liver to complete shit**** quest #4467 in Northgenericexpansionrend for a piece of worthless digital gear with one stat higher.

Its not a sign of disrespect, at best its simply someone who doesn't share your arguably poor perspective on a game.

Just to be clear, I don't play TF2 because I don't like it, and I don't like the whole achievements stuff. I was simply pointing out a matter of principle: a company makes a game and sets the rules. A community grows around the game (and the rules). Cheating is simply breaking the rules. I don't think that "following the rules" is a poor perspective.
But I see your point: it's only a game and achievements are rubbish. I agree, and as a matter of fact I'm not a TF2 player :)

Just to be clear, I don't play TF2 because I don't like it, and I don't like the whole achievements stuff. I was simply pointing out a matter of principle: a company makes a game and sets the rules. A community grows around the game (and the rules). Cheating is simply breaking the rules. I don't think that "following the rules" is a poor perspective.
But I see your point: it's only a game and achievements are rubbish. I agree, and as a matter of fact I'm not a TF2 player :)

Shame, aside from the stat whores its rather good.

Try it out sometime!. :p

Back