Advisor hands

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been talked about previously. I tried to search a similar topic, but couldn't didn't find any (granted I didn't look into every single thread). Anyway, onto my question/complaint.

With Half-Life 2 and Episode 1, we had only seen brief glimpses of the advisors. But in Episode 2, we see the advisors up close in all their glory. I just played Ep2 recently and I only noticed then that the gruby f*** was just that... a grub. It had some sort of eye attachment and a nose accessory that looked like that if was an extra from Battle Field Earth, but other than that, it was pretty much " naked". It was only at the finale of Ep2 that I noticed that the 2 advisors had "arms" attached to them, fully equipped with with 3 fingers. My question is why?

When we have our first close encounter with an advisor, it uses its telekinesis to control us as well as the objects around it. It picks up Gordon, Alyx, the dead resistance member, and an empty barrel. It crushes the barrel, discards the barrel, and proceeds to pull Gordon (us) and Alyx closer until an explosion caused it to flee in a hurry. But it did this without those prosthetic arms. So when we see the two advisors at ep2's finale, they are both sporting some new arm upgrades and use them to hold us as well as Eli. My question is: why? The have already shown to have a superior use of telekinesis powers, why do the need the small, elongated arms? What purpose would they serve?

I can understand the need for seeing and breathing devices, but when its evident that they can control their environment fully on mind power alone, why use the arms?

Just a thought that was bugging me. Is there a logical theory as to why they would use that? Just wonderin.

Who knows? Maybe their psychic power is not strong enough when they are kids :cool:?

Has anyone else noticed the symbols on it's "leash"?
This might be their native language, who knows. Anyways, their quite nice, aren't they?

Could be that their psychic powers aren't precise enough and can't be used for fine control. All we see them doing with it is flying and tossing stuff around. Could also be that telekinesis takes a good bit of effort and mechanical hands are just easier sometimes.

my theory is overusing their telekinesis gives them migraines.

but i think they were added just because they look cool.

I guess valve just added the arms to make the advisors look more menacing.

Maybe some can't use telekenisis? But then they couldn't float either. hm...

I almost forgot I created this thread. Anyway, I just found it odd that a creature who had evolved to a point not needing any appendages due to advanced telekinesis would still want arms. And their arms aren't even that great. 3 fingers? I dunno, seems kind of lacking, especially if they designed the hands themselves. Obviously Valve has a reason why they added hands, and it just might be for artistic reasons. But I don't agree with the reasoning that their telekinesis is underdeveloped. The fat ass grubs can fly, as well as holding down Gordon, Alyx, a dead resistance member and an empty drum barrel. And that's just out of hibernation too. Seems like they have plenty of power.

The first grub was pulled out of its pod prematurely. Combine may have something to do with the arms, or the grub was just underdeveloped.

Edit: If you look at the advisor closely, the arms are prosthetic.

I know they're prosthetic, that's what bugs me... why would they need them? They're not simple worker drones that need to build stuff, but rather they seem to be higher-ups, pulling a lot of the strings. Why the hands then? Unless there's some bs reason about needing them due to our gravity or something.

Could be that their psychic powers aren't precise enough and can't be used for fine control. All we see them doing with it is flying and tossing stuff around. Could also be that telekinesis takes a good bit of effort and mechanical hands are just easier sometimes.
Do you not think that a simple pair of hands might not be easier to use sometimes? Do you run everywhere just because it's faster? Your leg muscles are stronger than your arms so why don't you use those to lift things?

Maybe telekinesis requires concentration and they don't wanna do that for every little thing. Or it isn't precise enough, as other have said.

Back