Affect of Game of the Year on HL2's delay

lifebringer

Reaction score
My friend claimed earlier today he KNEW why HL2 was being delayed: so it could earn game of the year status. (He implied that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas already had GOTY for this year...I don't know if this is true or total BS though.)

In any case, it's a good point -- HL2 would benefit GREATLY from game of the year status, as HL did...and this may very well factor into any decision to hold off the game until later on...but do you guys think this could be a determining factor in delaying it? I mean...delaying it till 2005 JUST so it could get GOTY?

Thoughts...comments...harsh insults...

I think your friend is full of it tbh. :) I don't understand how a game can be GOTY when it hasn't even come out...it could be utter bollocks for all we know...

What's this "Game of the year" thing you are talking about? Who awards it?

Feath said:
What's this "Game of the year" thing you are talking about? Who awards it?

I don't think anyone awards anything like it. I guess someone got the idea from the GOTY editions of Deus Ex, Half-Life, Call Of Duty etc.

Yeah, you cant win game of the year before all the games are out yet,. that doesnt make sense.

And its not like theres only one GOTY award. Didnt HL1 get like, 50? It will get plenty of GOTY awards this time around too.

They wouldn't delay the game for that, even if they were afraid it might not get game of the year. Also, it's not like there's only one official GOTY, any magazine or website can choose their own GOTY, so even if some other game gets GOTY from one place or another, HL2 can still get awarded it from other places.

KagePrototype said:
I don't think anyone awards anything like it. I guess someone got the idea from the GOTY editions of Deus Ex, Half-Life, Call Of Duty etc.

Well, I was sure that "Game of the year" awards are given out by magazines. It's not something like a Nobel prize or anything. I really doubt PC Magazines will give GTA:SA a Game of the Year. Especially since it's coming out for the PS2.

f|uke said:
Yeah, you cant win game of the year before all the games are out yet,. that doesnt make sense.

And its not like theres only one GOTY award. Didnt HL1 get like, 50? It will get plenty of GOTY awards this time around too.

Yeah, that's why they called the second release the game of the year edition. Because pretty much ever magazine on the face of the earth awarded it game of the year.

Feath said:
Well, I was sure that "Game of the year" awards are given out my magazines.

Ha, I forgot about those. :D Well, what I meant was that there's no industry standard award for Game Of The Year, like you said. :)

gusolson said:
They wouldn't delay the game for that, even if they were afraid it might not get game of the year. Also, it's not like there's only one official GOTY, any magazine or website can choose their own GOTY, so even if some other game gets GOTY from one place or another, HL2 can still get awarded it from other places.

Oh noes! The goths are taking over HL2zzz!!

HL2 doesnt deserve the GOTY award, even if it kicks ass. We have been ****ed way to many times by valve. So valve can go suck the GOTY award

tricky said:
HL2 doesnt deserve the GOTY award, even if it kicks ass. We have been ****ed way to many times by valve. So valve can go suck the GOTY award

Give examples of times we've been "****ed". I bet one of them is "They delayed the game and I'm really selfish and want it to be released now".

tricky said:

Wow - 15 posts and you've already said something completely inane and nonsensical. I'm sure you'll be a valuable member of the community. :hmph:

what about the "Delay Of The Year" award ?

oh nevermind, valve already has that one...twice.

Night-Hawk[Qc] said:
what about the "Delay Of The Year" award ?

oh nevermind, valve already has that one...twice.

Yes, I think that Gamespy awarded HL2 the 'Vaporware of the Year' award...

tricky said:
I genuinely hope that you're joking.

tricky said:
You are not entitled to HL2.

HL2 could not have been made in less time, and VALVe could not have known how long it would take untill it was over (assuming that it is).

How can you be so hungry for HL2 that you hate VAVLe for being wrong about how long it would take? How do you get that self centered, ungrateful, and needy?

no, people like him have a right to be angry that valve wouldnt release a game until it was up to thier standards. i for one am APPALLED they are not going release the game untill they thought it was just right.

....why wait to release it early in the next year, giving devlopers a full year to try and top it...?

SidewinderX said:
....why wait to release it early in the next year, giving devlopers a full year to try and top it...?
Because VUG has enough money to make an example out of VALVe for trying to undermine them with Steam..

I dont think they will, but hey, its a possible reason.

HL2 would probably win anyway. We've had a GTA game (basically the same each time) for the past 3 years. We've been waiting for HL2 for 80 years.

mannyfresh027 said:
HL2 would probably win anyway. We've had a GTA game (basically the same each time) for the past 3 years. We've been waiting for HL2 for 80 years.
Well, each of those basically same games have sold very well and have been as popular as they come.

f|uke said:
Because VUG has enough money to make an example out of VALVe for trying to undermine them with Steam..

I dont think they will, but hey, its a possible reason.

Where do you keep getting the thought that VU is overflowing with money? They're not EA.

GTA is good but i was FURIOUS when GI gave it game of the year

Vice city was so overrated

SixThree said:
Where do you keep getting the thought that VU is overflowing with money? They're not EA.
? What makes you certain they're not?

Cadaveca said something about VUG getting pulled out of a large debt very quickly. If he is right, they certainly have some kind of solid backing.

I never made any claims about the finantial state of VUG, but until someone shows me hard evidence that they are hurting for money, I will accept them being well backed as a possibility.

GTA: San Andreas will be released October 12 on PS2 and then in Q3 next year for PC.

Who cares if it is GOTY!
If valve does... we have a problem..

I was just about to say that She. Who the hell CARES about Game of the Year. God. Games are getting WAYYYY to serious. If you play a game and enjoy it yourself, than isn't that all that matters? Do you want to be a goddamn follower and form the same opinion of Gamespot or some magazine? Well I shure as hell don't and I will enjoy Half-Life 2 even if it "sucks". For Christ's sake, this is a game were talking about people.

Petabyte said:
Who the hell CARES about Game of the Year. God.
Its a matter of perception, publicity, and profit, which altogether will determine the amount of imact HL2 has on the game developer community. And the more influence HL2 has on other developers, the better other games are going to be.

I'm sure I'm going to love HL2, GOTY or not. By the same token, I want to know that more games of this calibur will be made. GOTY is a factor.

GOTY awards are given by many different companys and/or publications. GamePro might make DOOM 3 it's game of the year, and PC Gamer might make HL2 it's game of the year, and GameSpot might makes SIMs 2 it's game of the year. So theres no dedicated company that just says "THIS GAME IS THE WINNER". Your friend is talking out of his poop shoot.

Peace.

Back