Aftermath may go boxed after all

Half-Life 2: Aftermath is due in late summer. The episode continues the adventures of Gordon Freeman, and begins immediately following the conclusion of HL2. It will be available via Steam and may appear in retail boxes as well. It is not slated to appear at E3.

sounds almost like confirmation it will be in stores,good news for me and im sure alot of others

jimbo118 quoting Planet Half-Life quoting Doug Lombardi said:
Half-Life 2: Aftermath is due in late summer. The episode continues the adventures of Gordon Freeman, and begins immediately following the conclusion of HL2. It will be available via Steam and may appear in retail boxes as well.
"May appear"... it's annoying, because i've just realised that if it doesn't I won't be able to get it: My parents don't have a supported credit card, and neither do I.....

kupoartist said:
"May appear"... it's annoying, because i've just realised that if it doesn't I won't be able to get it: My parents don't have a supported credit card, and neither do I.....
yeah but i take that for a yes,he wouldnt have said it otherwise,would just ruin peoples hopes n all :farmer:

although the whole lawsuit with sierra etc might cause difficulties

jimbo118 said:
although the whole lawsuit with sierra etc might cause difficulties
Precisely. I imagine it'll only shipped boxed if their relations with Sierra get better and if Sierra have any sense, they'll make up with Valve a bit before AM is released otherwise they'll lose out on a lot of money.
Personally, I really really hope it ships boxed.

el Chi said:
Precisely. I imagine it'll only shipped boxed if their relations with Sierra get better and if Sierra have any sense, they'll make up with Valve a bit before AM is released otherwise they'll lose out on a lot of money.
Personally, I really really hope it ships boxed.

Sierra is dead; Vivindi is Valve's publisher now. Plus I think Valve's contract is up, pending the outcome of the lawsuit, so they could possible just go to a different company to get it published. But again, that's probably depending on the lawsuit. (Which, IIRC, stated that Vinvindi wanted to force Valve into working on another project after Half-Life 2)

Anywho, depending on the size of the game and whether or not Valve is planning on doing more episodes; it might be prudent to hold off on a retail version until they can put 2 or 3 episodes into a single package that retails for the normal expansion price.

I don't really care which way i get it. Actually i would prefer a box. I like to have a box

One thing I do hope for are more payment options for Steam

what are the payment options? just out of interest, im waititng for my new pc to be delivered and my laptop wont run the game so i cant check for myself.

thanx for your help

clairelovestlc said:
what are the payment options? just out of interest, im waititng for my new pc to be delivered and my laptop wont run the game so i cant check for myself.
I think there are only five... the ones I can understand from the teeny icons on the steampowered homepage are: Visa, Mastercard and American Express

kupoartist said:

No matter what your age you can get yourself a card. Just ask your parents. They can monitor and limit your use of it.

I would much rather have a boxed copy myself but if there isnt any, i will ask my parents for a card. Should be getting one anyway.

Paypall would be great.. if the decide to go steam only...

But i also prefer a boxed version.

Just call me old fasion, i always like it more.

I'm pretty confedent that steam is a great distribution system, but i also don't have a CC :)

I like it because im a collector. I have all boxes cds EVERYTHING that comes with a game. I also love all the extra preorder shit you get. Even if its useless lol.

Only is Steam is mayby bad politic (but for thievish Vivendi is good new, heh).
I want box (with Alyx face, manual etc.)!

As i've said elsewhere, after Vivendi's pathetic attempt at HL2 packaging, i'm content to buy over Steam and DIY a backup disk and case. I may even cynically reprint the "manual" and stick it in the DVD case...

kupoartist said:

and this is one of many reasons why Valve need to do a retail release...nevermind these other broadband/credit card owners.

anyway good news, i think/hope.

thankyou, i only have a solo = and a switch card but my dad has a mastercard and my mum has a visa, so ill just have to use one of theres, afterall i just did £40 of online shopping for my mum on my card off amazon, because she couldnt b bothered to go get hers so she cant say no.

personally i like to have the box 2, i dunno why,just because then i have something physical to show for my money i guess

UndeadScottsman said:
Anywho, depending on the size of the game and whether or not Valve is planning on doing more episodes; it might be prudent to hold off on a retail version until they can put 2 or 3 episodes into a single package that retails for the normal expansion price.

Half-Life 2: Generation

:rolling:

It's accurate... The present era of FPS's could well be described as the 'HL2 generation'....

I want a box and a disk. The tangibility factor weighs in, and you could use it on a desert island (if you had a crack to make it work without activation anyway).

Whats "ALLELUJA!!!!!" mean?

Anyways, I like having a box, manual, cd and stuff, but the 'over steam' way doesnt seem that bad... but I gotta get someone to pay for it for me cuz I have no c-card.

I've got a damn card but no broadband connection. Admittedly I might possess both by the time this appears in the shops/on the web, but I welcome this announcement :D

Besides, I honestly think I'd have got HL2 via retail even if I'd had DSL at the time. That's no criticism to Valve or Steam, I just like actually having a box and CD. Despite the lack of a true manual in the sequel :(

*strokes HL2 DVD case and twitches*

Edcrab said:
I've got a damn card but no broadband connection. Admittedly I might possess both by the time this appears in the shops/on the web, but I welcome this announcement :D
People in your situation can always fall back on a reliable BB-Equipped friend with a DVD writer. They download it for you, you register and unlock it.

Yes, but I haven't got any reliable friends with broadband and a DVD writer. I blame careers and surprisingly random BB catchment areas.

Wait, what am I saying, I haven't got any friends, hence my obsession with this game :p

Besides, it wouldn't kill me to- shock horror- not get AM if it was Steam exclusive. I could live without it, as long as it didn't try and force itself on me like previous Source-game updates :x

I was happy with CS:S being at 99% thanks... now stop updating and let me play my fully loaded HL2! I said stop! ...What? No!! MERCY!!

/end harrowing nerd flashback

go steam!! screw Vivendi as much as possible..

I hope VALVe win the lawsuit and can just distribute through steam and/or their own boxed retails with out some idiotic publishing company

WHats this Half-Life 2: Aftermath thing your all talking about?

...I was just acting like some people that live under rocks... completly random and clueless...

Anyways... as long as it comes out in summer, I happy...

Edcrab said:
Yes, but I haven't got any reliable friends with broadband and a DVD writer. I blame careers and surprisingly random BB catchment areas.
You are on a fan forum though. If Aftermath is confirmed to be Steam only, the community could/should start up an initiative to post the initial cache files to those with "less fortunate connections" ^^

Valve :
Please bring the add-on out in a boxed version.
I am a very great HL2-fan.
But I only buy games if they are boxed.
I really like to play the add-on, but under no condition i am going to download it.
Although i have a broadband-connextion, i just don't want that .
I believe I am not (by a long shot) the only one who thinks this way.
So settle the disagreements with Vivendi & act normal.
Give us the choice to either download or buy it boxed. :flame:

Phantom, the one thing that could be bad is if they do send it out to stores, and well...the more bought there the less money for valve(Considering those people would have got it off steam) but also....if in the contract with vivendi that this game cannot be released on steam until it is shipped to stores..well that could make the game take longer to come out.

Back