Age of Conan Collectors edition details

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
CodyAndBox.preview.jpg

As you can see in the photo on the right, the collector's edition is an over-sized, book-style, heavy-duty tome the color of freshly spilled blood. Although it was only a cardboard mock-up, you can tell that the real version of the collector's edition will be a hefty piece of equipment. With a flip-open cover,

* Metal Embossed Cover
* Actual Poem Written by Robert E. Howard
* 128-page Art Book
* The Conan Soundtrack
* Professionally Crafted Leather Map of Hyboria
* Bonus DVD with Various Footage
* Five Buddy Keys
* In-Game Item - "Ring of Asheron" - Gives 2% XP Modifier and 3% Stamina Regeneration
* In-Game Item - "The Drinking Cape" - Free Drinks for Life!

free booze for life!!! actually if you've subscribed to the Age of Conan newsletter you get the drinking cape anyways - booze in age of conan is used in bar brawls ..what you drink affects how you fight in bars/taverns

Daaaamn. Looks extreme...

btw, still smiley-faces Stern? ;)

I wouldn't believe the "professionally leather map". Lord of the Rings Online also promised such thing, but it turned out to be thick paper printed to look like leather.

You gonna buy the Collector's edition?

yes, unless there's some other deal ..best buy and EB games have pre-order extras ..like a war-mammoth/war rhino

Sadly, I will not be getting this. After the :( that was my experience with Vanguard, I think I'm done with MMO's.

Sadly, I will not be getting this. After the :( that was my experience with Vanguard, I think I'm done with MMO's.

vanguard was destined to fail ..read the thread on vanguard I posted the other day

Is this game set to be realeased in March?

there's been 2 delays so far so I'm not overly confident about funcom release dates .. but yes the 28th

Surely worth it for the Drinking Cape alone, I'm sold if it's under $100 and the game is in good shape come open beta time.

I'm not a big fan of Collectors editions. I realized that I usually end up doing nothing with them but having the extra stuff collect dust.

I'm not a big fan of Collectors editions. I realized that I usually end up doing nothing with them but having the extra stuff collect dust.

same here

2% extra xp seems like it'd be worth it for anyone playing the game for a long time though.

* In-Game Item - "Ring of Asheron" - Gives 2% XP Modifier and 3% Stamina Regeneration

I will admit that I don't like this decision. Those who can afford this pricey set will now have a distinct in-game advantage over those who can't. I can also see people buying the CE for this item alone.

so what? it's for PvE so it wont be much of an advantage

You'll be able to level more quickly than those who don't have it. 2% over 80 levels is pretty significant. I personally don't like these types of items included with CEs. Bonus items that don't give players advantages over others are fine though.

If you believe finishing a computer game slightly faster than somebody else you never met on the other side of the planet is an important fact to pass on to your grand-children as you gasp your last few breaths in this world, then do some overtime and buy the CE, otherwise have some common sense and just enjoy the game, which i'm sure will be pretty damn good without the obligatory gimmicks anyway.

Look, based on my personal opinions, the reason I don't like it is that it provides an advantage over those who don't buy the CE. If they had included a nice weapon or armor that didn't give an XP boost I would have reacted the same way. I've never been in a mad rush to level in any of the MMOs I've played, it's just that I don't like these kinds of items included with a CE.

I have to say I'm dead against any form of special items for player simply because they purchase a CE when it's a multiplayer/mmo game. I recall SWG outlined something similar, where in you got access to exclusive items standard players couldn't have. That pretty much decided it for me that there was no way I was going to buy the game. I'm beginning to think I'll skip out on AoC as well, if that's the route they are going down. A CE should stand up on it's own in terms of content.

The 2% xp thing doesn't matter imo, you can get up to 10% increased xp from having enough members of a certain 'prestige' class in your guild.

The 2% xp thing doesn't matter imo, you can get up to 10% increased xp from having enough members of a certain 'prestige' class in your guild.

That's even worse, it's practically making it de rigueur to clan up from the offset. I believe clans/guilds should always be optional, and without advantage. I like gaming with other players, but I've always found clans become more work than fun. I prefer casual hook ups.

CodyAndBox.preview.jpg

free booze for life!!! actually if you've subscribed to the Age of Conan newsletter you get the drinking cape anyways - booze in age of conan is used in bar brawls ..what you drink affects how you fight in bars/taverns

That is not worth the extra money to pay. I mean about ?33 i think extra from the normal version is really a rip off.

the in game items are not the only in the box ..the 128 page artbook and leather map are worth it at least in comparison to most Collectors Editions that usually only throw in a cheap little figurine

btw ..hate to say this but it was recently revealed that there will be no open beta ..just an additional 15,000 players let into beta before launch

What?

Looks like there was a miscommunication/misunderstanding at the show.

We are planning to have an open beta for the game as we get closer to launch, however, it will be through specific partners and require an application/registration process, much like most of the other betas for most other games.

We will be limiting the number of keys we release to a manageable number at any given time, rather than subjecting people to queues and loading screens and so on. By "a manageable number," we mean tens of thousands, not just a handful.

We’re also ramping up some of our tech test betas, and, of course, we’ll be doing key giveaways, inviting forum veterans, and inviting more people to the current, closed stage of beta as we ramp up for launch.

So, yes, there will be a wider-scale open beta, but it will require an application/registration process and won’t be as simple as “press button, get key,” which is what we wanted to say.
Confused.

ya so no open beta ..you stll have to apply for a spot but since they said there's 15,000 more spots and 100,000+ people applied in the first 3 days the chances of getting in now (signing up now) are slim

my guess is that they'll pick from the available pool and it will be people with fast machines

That's pretty lame. I hope they'll at least offer some sort of trial. I really prefer to test or trial MMOs before I commit to buying them.

That's the 15k already in the game :)
The quote I posted above was from a forum 'blue' today. So sounds like they might let in lots of the current apps, and make it open to subscribers of fileplanet or similar sites...

Stern, I don't suppose you can tell us if this game is worth buying judging from the beta, can you?

He only replies in varieties of smilies. Stern hasn't even confirmed he's in the beta, no idea where we get these ideas :D

"Open beta"? I smell fileplanet, PC Gamer, and pre-ordered.

Followed in 3 months by a 14-day trial.

Boy I must be psychic.

well if you know someone who will buy the CE version there's 5 trial keys up for grabs

Stern, I don't suppose you can tell us if this game is worth buying judging from the beta, can you?

no comment ...not no comment on whether the game is good or bad, cant say clown will eat me

well if you know someone who will buy the CE version there's 5 trial keys up for grabs

no comment ...not no comment on whether the game is good or bad, cant say clown will eat me

QQQQQQQQQ

it'll cost you

not sure I'm getting the CE ..depends on release date/bonus pre-order thingy

it'll cost you

not sure I'm getting the CE ..depends on release date/bonus pre-order thingy

Buddy-key = trial right?

If so, and I don't get to beta test, I may consider paying a little for a key. We'll see. I just don't want to drop a bunch of cash on something I'm not sure I'd like.

I wouldnt charge anyone for a free trial key that's just low ..if I do get the CE and if you havent tried it yet, I'll send a key your way

Back