AGEIA Sets Pricing on PhysX Add-In Cards

NikolaX

Tank
Reaction score
The cards will cost between $249 and $299

The PhysX chip will be manufactured with 0.13 micron technology at TSMC, and the 182sq.mm die will host 125 million transistors, which is larger than that of mainstream graphics processing units, such as ATI RADEON X700.

The designer of the PhysX co-processor claims that the first games to be use capabilities of the chip will be out by year end, at the same time gamers will be able to get the add-in board

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20050520034045.html

whoa that's expensive- i suppose it wouldn't have been any cheaper when i think about it. So these will come in pci and pci-e? Anyone know how much memory they've got?

sounds awsome and y would they put it in pci-e if its an add on card lol

Haha woah, its got a Thermaltake Geforce4 series replacement heatsink put on it.. haha..

[w0f]Oblivion said:
Haha woah, its got a Thermaltake Geforce4 series replacement heatsink put on it.. haha..
Heheh yep, I'm holding my old Geforce 4 ti4400 right in front of me, and it's the same one. Kinda funny seeing it there.

This thing is my next objective, as soon as I get money. I am so obsessed with physics... Probably the biggest thing that got me hooked to HL2.

damn expensive, someone here said they'd be a about 100 dollars, guess not, i could have a xbox360 for that.

i'll wait till they become mainstream.

What he said. That's a LOT of money and seeing as you don't really need one yet, I can wait... When I next upgrade though, maybe it'll be more the norm by then.
...and their spelling oh physics is skin-crawlingly bad. "How can we make physics AND playing computer games sound really really cool? I know! Let's make it Xtreeeem!"

Nothing spelt with an x where an ex should be is good. Ever.

giant384 said:
sounds awsome and y would they put it in pci-e if its an add on card lol

Well they are for your information making a pci-e version. Why wouldn't they make a pci-e? It's faster.

I wonder what that little plugy thing on the top of the card is for.

PCI-e is the way to go. Boards nowadays only have one or two slots, but when it finally replaces PCI and AGP, there'll be numerous slots found on mainstream boards (I think).

What I wonder is what this card could be used for besides high-end video games. Surely other software could tap that extra processing power. Imagine how fast a screensaver could make the shapes bounce across the screen with one of those fireballs installed. LOL

Dumb Dude said:
I wonder what that little plugy thing on the top of the card is for.
If you mean the edge connector above left of the molex, I think that's a PCI-E x1 slot

ok so when does the PhysX fx series come out? lol I mean geez $240+.... *watches as my wallet jumps out the window while hanging itself*

Back