Alright I am saying it....COD is ruining what FPSs should be

The same 4 enemies over and over again did not really wow me, even the named fights( not really bosses) were just reskinned harder versions of the gunner,spider,houdini. Big daddies were the only good part of that game

awesome picture

This completely encapsulates how I feel about people that are like "i really leik black ops guise" and then two months later are like "COD is killing the human race".

How does someone have the energy to dislike a game or movie so much?

Get over it, there is room for other games.

I don't think these games are meant to have a strong story behind them, they are meant for multiplayer.

So you're spending £30 to £40 for each iteration of a multiplayer game. You're spending that much every year for some more maps and a few tweaks? It certainly doesn't look like they're offering more with each game. And the fact that they added a zombie portion of the game excused the fact that the rest of it was mediocre?

Edit: For the record, I loved Bioshock's story, although the gameplay was repetitive, and CoD4's singleplayer campaign.

The best part about this thread is the title. He's like "OKAY GUYS I CAN'T STAY QUIET ANY LONGER, I GOTTA SAY SOMETHING."

Like everyone on this ****ing board hasn't been saying the exact same thing for years.
This. Actually, it's the only redeeming thing about this abattoir of public stupidity.

So you're spending £30 to £40 for each iteration of a multiplayer game. You're spending that much every year for some more maps and a few tweaks? It certainly doesn't look like they're offering more with each game. And the fact that they added a zombie portion of the game excused the fact that the rest of it was mediocre?

Edit: For the record, I loved Bioshock's story, although the gameplay was repetitive, and CoD4's singleplayer campaign.

I like CoD, i dont like wat it is doing to the industry but i enjoy the game itself. However i do think i am the only one who plays it for the single player as quite frankly i completely agree with the above. Black ops' mp is def more balanced than mw2's mp but it is still the same thing rly.

Im going to try and not go on some anti-CoD fanboy rant, but Ive come to really dislike CoD now. The game itself is kind of fun, yeah, its exciting and lots of explosions happen etc, great. Its what the game represents that annoys me the most. It seems to have become this huge cash cow for Activision and they are milking the crap out of it.

MW2 for me was a joke. The SP portion was BLATANTLY shadowed deliberately so they could focus on the MP, and yeah, to me, that is the only reason CoD sells like it does these days.

Its not a great game anymore, there are better ones out there. If you're like me and like to atleast see what the critics have to say about a game BEFORE I rush out and hand my money over, then I wouldnt have bothered getting Black Ops for example. Less than 9 for a game that is supposed to be so amazing? Even Halo Reach did better.

But no, Black Ops flies off the shelves like the new iPhone. We've become so blinded by the brand name that we ignore the mediocraty of the game itself. I will confess I enjoyed Black Ops' SP more than MW2 and MW, but Im certainly glad I didnt BUY the game (thanks LoveFilm). Whats actually added that's new?

The mechanics dont change each year. How boring.

And its becoming evident that some critics MUST be being paid off by Activision to give good scores as they rip apart other games each year as sequels for being too much like the previous itteration...yet CoD gets away with it each time with higher scores??? ***k RIGHT off.

And what really infuriates me is that I contribute to the games' success. I play this series each time a new one comes out, wondering a day later why I bothered. Combine the lack of changes with the people who play MP 24/7 and can kill you with a pistol and max range with 1 shot and you drill them with half your AK's mag and they dont die, frustration kicks in due to the mechanics and, admitedly, a lower amount of talent, and I just want to throw the disc out the window.

Yet its always so successful and they call it the biggest game of the year every year. Other games change their release dates to release their game after CoD at the end of each year. I guarantee thats the reason why GT5 had the date set where it was and was delayed etc.

CoD isnt just ruining the fps genre, it's ruining the gaming industry as other developers see reduced sales on their better games, simply because kids want CoD for xmas or release day, and with the financial climate, they or their parents only buy that one game because its all they can afford, so other games dont get bought.

Yes obviously other games DO get bought, but not as much these days as they used to be.

IMO COD is a great game. I like shooting games that let me fantasize. Just my 2 cnets woth

For a minute I thought that was called 'Gaigun'. Phonetically that's even worse.

Alright I am saying it....Galgun is ruining what rail shooters should be.

I'm not worried about CoD, it's probably going to run out of steam over the next few years. Most of my favorite FPSs have existed simultaneously as the MW games anyway, and offered very unique experiences, so the argument that they are somehow tainting other games don't seem so strong to me.

That's a bit like saying Transformers killed intelligent film making, or Twilight ruined novels.

Black Ops should do a bit to deter people, it's pretty shitty. Hard to say it but given the respawn and lag problems in Black Ops, MW2 was a vastly better game... without having dedicated servers. It was just a better, more polished game. Chalk it up to Infinity Ward being the far better (former) developer - Treyarch relies too heavily on gimmick and has ****shit dumb QA.

I miss well designed competitive PC fps. Unreal is dead, Quake is dead, Medal of Honor is dead, Soldier of Fortune is dead, CS is getting tiresome and Battlefield feels consolized and lacks it's old charm (and never really had a pro circuit anyways due to shitty reg and bloat).

I'm not worried about CoD, it's probably going to run out of steam

nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLy5xIjA6Z8

I miss when FPS's were actually unique from eachother. Every FPS these days are either a boring army type FPS (COD etc) or Sci-Fi (Halo, Mass effect etc).

This is why I like Half-Life so much because not only is the story really immersive and involves YOU, but the enemies seem to have more meaning. What I mean by that is that Halo has like a million monsters running at you with a million other soldiers shooting at them at the same time as you. It's as if you're not that big of a deal in the game. Where as in Half-Life, it seems like it's mostly up to you to run the show.

Also the weaponry..maybe it's just that I'm sick of sci-fi type stuff but I HATE the overly complicated and seemingly boring weapons in FPS's these days. Half-Life had a very simple but amazingly fun choice of weapons even though they weren't that realistic.

I can't stand the boring year 2512 style buildings, facilities, guns, spaceships ugh. It's all the same old. Half-Life had such a variety of awesome scenery and not everything was some generic futurisitc setting like Halo, Mass effect and even Crysis etc. Ravenholm was one of the best levels of any FPS imo. The atmosphere, the setting, the monsters, the traps, the gritty-ness..it was all there.

I know this rant is unstructured and all over the place but surely somebody knows what I'm trying to get across right?

Developers, please make a FPS that's not boring sci-fi or army based. We need some refreshing scenery, enemies and gameplay.

Three of the biggest FPS games of the Nineties were about an experiment opening a portal to another dimension full of bad dudes kidnapping your precedent.

Discuss.

I have this overwhelming urge to say "wash the sand out of your collective vagina."

Oops, looks like I just did.

I haven't bothered reading too far into this thread. Has anyone mentioned skillcap? Because this series has a pretty shallow one. Anybody who has had a career in CS can wipe the floor in these games.

I haven't bothered reading too far into this thread. Has anyone mentioned skillcap? Because this series has a pretty shallow one. Anybody who has had a career in CS can wipe the floor in these games.

i was never the worlds greatest CS player by any means but I find CoD a far more frustrating experience than CS ever was =/

After having played Black Ops for a fair bit now, I've came to a realisation that alot of people probably, and one i should have, came to a long time ago (however i never bothered playing W@W or much of MW1's MP so i can see why there's a delay, or i'm just slow :p). That is that I mostly play the CoD games for their single player campaigns. Now say what you want about them and most of their criticisms are valid after all but I enjoy how they can encapsulate the feel of a hollywood blockbuster so well (except MW2; that was perhaps the single stupidest plot i've ever seen in any piece of mainstream medial now THAT is a claim).

This means MP for me is definitely secondary (and is for most games i play except battlefield) and i'm already tired of it. Black ops may be more balanced than MW2 but at its core CoD mp since MW1 has for me always been intrisically frustrating experience and alot of the time not fun.

Yeah i guess what i'm trying to say is i'm done =/ I'll rent these games for their campaigns or pick them up discounted but other than that no. Idk I guess i just wanted to ramble:p

CoD isnt just ruining the fps genre, it's ruining the gaming industry as other developers see reduced sales on their better games, simply because kids want CoD for xmas or release day, and with the financial climate, they or their parents only buy that one game because its all they can afford, so other games dont get bought.

Yes obviously other games DO get bought, but not as much these days as they used to be.

Ruining the game industry? Wow. CoD as a franchise has never really done anything to hurt the gaming industry. As it is now, the only thing that CoD is guilty of is setting a prime example of what multiplayer FPS' ‘should’ aspire to. The reason this franchise does so well is because of the demographic it created back when they released Modern Warfare. With the players it collected over the years with this brand name alone, the franchise itself has made the gaming industry more of recognisable platform which money can be made. People have said that the industry is too overlooked when dealing with politics, their arguments being that “Not too many people actually play games, or even care about them.” Activision is just the first ‘money hungry’ organisation to feed off this industry. I like to think that their actions are pioneering this unnoticed gold mine.

I miss when FPS's were actually unique from eachother. Every FPS these days are either a boring army type FPS (COD etc) or Sci-Fi (Halo, Mass effect etc).

Honestly, if you're including a third person shooter/role playing game in your description of first person shooters, I don't think you're going to be satisfied with any amount of variety. :p

Honestly, if you're including a third person shooter/role playing game in your description of first person shooters, I don't think you're going to be satisfied with any amount of variety. :p

I'm aware that Mass Effect is 3rd person but it's still a shooter and it's still the same type of sci-fi environment/setting that we see in many of today's actual FPS's and future ones as well.

We need differentiation. Everything is always about some advanced alien race with all this sci-fi garbage. It's so played out.

Back