alyx

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading somewhere that her father was african american (obveously) and her mother was asian, who died during the Black Mesa incident.

Hmm.

el Chi said:
Well, actually it sort of is seeing as if you say "Asian" you could also be referring to Indians, Pakistanis, Burmese th list goes on and on. And God help you if you call an Indian person a Pakistani or vice versa.
In short this thread is rubbish and I'm amazed and very happy that no-one's said anything racist yet - there are many retards on forums. Just look at me.

No it isn't. Calling an Asian person oriental, is like calling a Hispanic person (regardless where he is from) a Mexican. It's just an uneducated/easy way of describing something. I understood what he meant and I agreed, it just made him look stupid. It's an extremely common screw up, as oriental use to be a common way to describe an Asian person.

As for your argument: When I say "Asian" you know what I mean. Just like I know what you mean when you would say "oriental." The difference is, I would be correct.

This is from dictionary.com:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oriental
ORIENTAL Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental meaning “eastern” is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

Glo-Boy said:
Take a look at the people of Africa. They are not light skinned at all - just as British people are not naturally tan. It doesn't happen.

O dear...

...have you even been outside your home?

If you look at Egyptians for example they are MUCH lighter then Gambians...
etc.

In Africa there is as much colours as in any part of the world... almost...

They range from white (as in pale :p ) to so dark they are almost blue :eek:
It lives 10% "white" people in South Africa...
Geez... Americans... :p

Anyway: Who ****ing cares about what alyx computer generated skin has???? She could be green and i whouldn't care... :borg:
Close this plz!

Yes, these are really big questions indeed. Try mixing up black and white with your watercolor set and see what will come, doh.

Glo-Boy said:
To all who say there are light skinned black people, you're wrong. Besides very VERY few, there aren't. Take a look at the people of Africa. They are not light skinned at all - just as British people are not naturally tan. It doesn't happen.

You are the one who is wrong and possibly midly brain damaged. :upstare:

That is one of the most retarded and uneducated ignorant, and incorrect statements I have heard this week. Clearly you are the product of someone who has never left his house or gets all his information from watching 1 tv channel. Black people come in all shades from black to almost white, and fair skin black people are not uncommon at all. There ought to be an IQ test for people to sign up on these forums because clearly you would not have past the registration phase :E

fido said:
You are the one who is wrong and possibly midly brain damaged. :upstare:

That is one of the most retarded and uneducated ignorant, and incorrect statements I have heard this week. Clearly you are the product of someone who has never left his house or gets all his information from watching 1 tv channel. Black people come in all shades from black to almost white, and fair skin black people are not uncommon at all. There ought to be an IQ test for people to sign up on these forums because clearly you would not have past the registration phase :E

word..............

tehoen said:
I Wass Wondering Why Alyx Is White When Her Father Eli Is Black.
Shouldnt She Be Black Too Then??
Can Somebody Answer Plz.

where's the laughing emoticon!!!!

****it it i'll just type the laughs

hahahahahahahaa

hahahahhaahahahaha

Like Lara Croft had her name slightly changed from Laura to appeal to the latin market, Valve are simply doign a clever marketing move by making the love interest (and that's what I believe Alyx is) ambiguous in race.

One of the main design issues that seems to have been a driving force in HL2's development is Valves desire to make you want to be able to empathise with the characters. Decent scripts with good vocal, physical and facial acting are obvious ways of acheiving this, but whether you like it or not, we as humans tend to find it easier to empathise with those of a similar race to our own.

Think about it - the caucasian market will regard her as one of their own, as will the hispanic market, asian market and black market (to a lesser extent).

It's pure genius as far as I'm concerned - a subtle pointer to the detail of the design of this game. It would have been so much easier to put in a stereotypical buxom blonde...

A big boobed blonde wouldn't have her place in the HL universe...
Otherwise the whole credibility of the game would have went down.

figge said:
O dear...

...have you even been outside your home?

If you look at Egyptians for example they are MUCH lighter then Gambians...
etc.

In Africa there is as much colours as in any part of the world... almost...

They range from white (as in pale :p ) to so dark they are almost blue :eek:
It lives 10% "white" people in South Africa...
Geez... Americans... :p

Anyway: Who ****ing cares about what alyx computer generated skin has???? She could be green and i whouldn't care... :borg:
Close this plz!
i hope you get banned for that.... that was just... eww.

denzelr said:
No it isn't. Calling an Asian person oriental, is like calling a Hispanic person (regardless where he is from) a Mexican. It's just an uneducated/easy way of describing something. I understood what he meant and I agreed, it just made him look stupid. It's an extremely common screw up, as oriental use to be a common way to describe an Asian person.

As for your argument: When I say "Asian" you know what I mean. Just like I know what you mean when you would say "oriental." The difference is, I would be correct.

This is from dictionary.com:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oriental
ORIENTAL Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental meaning “eastern” is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

People who get offended over stuff like that should kindly kill themselves to remove their pansy ass psyche taint from our otherwise euphoric world.

This thread isn't going far, very fast. It's most likely that Alyx is mixed race, we'll probably find out in HL2.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back