Amateur mapper looking for mod... maybe?

Yuri

Tank
Reaction score
Hello. I just figured I'd post here cuz I was hoping to maybe get into some kind of Half Life 2 modding team. I realize that using "amateur" in the title probably hinders my search, but I try to only speak the truth.

As of right now, I have my first map-an HL deathmatch map, a series of three single-player maps for Opposing Force, my first-released map de_evac which was made for a mapping contest, and a whole mess of unfinished projects.

And right now I am working on a DoD map and two counterstike maps. I'm trying to make an original idea for an fy and a knife arena map.

I don't really expect too many people to be jumping to sign me up for their mod, I really just want to start up a name for myself because recently I have turned the hobby into something serious and would like to try to make at least a side-job for myself.

If anyone is actually interested in seeing my work, I am going to be making a website (you HL2.net guys won't be mad at me for posting my own website on here, will you?) You can also contact me via AIM or email at [email protected]. I think if you seach google you can find a link for de_evac, however.

Any comments on what I should do to improve or other things would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

:farmer: <-- I just had to put hobo-guy in here, he is just too cool.

yeah, nobody is really willing to hire anyone unless they see examples of your work.

Okay. So here are some screenshots from my map de_evac.
(Sorry about the low quality... I have 56k for about another week. Hope this works...)

I'll get some more pics of my single player maps as soon as I can. Hopefully it won't be copyright infringement if I post them... they are based on the first Matrix. (Hence my Username. Heh.)

looks like some parts of the map could use a bit more planning, like how different they would play, but that comes with experience...something i dont have :p

on the other hand, the map looks quite well made, if a little clean :)

Hey, thanks a lot. I'm somewhat proud of it, although I know some things that I could improve on.

I've got some more pics, but keep in mind this was a very early map for me. (Things like "lighting," "r_speeds" and "models" were still a mystery)

Oh and I'd like to mention that I think I've improved since evac, although nothing is quite completed enough for pics.

Here is my series of maps based on the lobby shootout scene in The Matrix.

(And note the helicopter which is made with world brushes. Heh...)

random.hero said:
looks like some parts of the map could use a bit more planning, like how different parts would play, but that comes with experience...something i dont have :p

on the other hand, the mpa looks quite well made, if a little clean :)

One of my biggest lessons from evac was to work on the layout before working on the map. Heh.

hehe, that heli just made my day. yeah, these pics dont really show us much, just that you can make the breakable objects in hammer :)

if a mod is going to recruit you, theyd like to see some more recent work, and something thats your own design, much like your evac map. maybe some pictures from your DOD and 2 CS maps would help the process.

I didn't really expect it to show much, actually. And I'm proud of my "Tie to entity" abilities. :)

Yeah, well, I will post more on dod_canal and the two unnamed "original" cs maps as soon as they look somewhat good.

By the way, the walls in there weren't just breakable, they had an env_shooter, too, that shot concrete gibs everywhere. So there!

Come check out my mod:

www.blackdragonmod.com

If it interests you, get in contact with me and we can see if you would fit in with the group. I don't mind the fact that you are new, as long as you give it your all when the time comes. Additionally, you have to be willing to listen to criticism and always work at getting better and better.

Let me know.

I agree, I've seen mappers with twice the ego post half the quality of what I see here

Hey guys, thanks a lot. Your compliments are greatly appreciated. If there is one thing that I hate, its arrogance, and so I try my best to steer clear of that. On top of that, I realize that there are many areas that I could definately improve on... but that can only come with experience.

I'll be posting pics of my attempt-at-an-original-fy map in a few days. However, pics probably won't show what I want to show, so I have to ask if it would be bad if I just put a zip of the file here? If not, the file shouldn't be too big. But if thats bad, I'll try to post it on some link somewhere (the problem is my 56k... it doesn't like to work with lycos.)

Again, thanks. I'll be responding to mods shortly, but right now I need to go to friggin school. :)

Cool. fy_coach should be done by early next week.

When you say you'd host it, do you mean on this site or on a seperate one?

Thanks, guys.

Would be independant :)

Either on Xplaygames (Penny) or resonance-mod, oes-mod.org (me :) )

wow, thats pretty nice :)

and probably my biggest peev with the 'net is how 90% of the people are like... "whwow! imm lik tha besst at evreyting aynywere!!!"
lol

(and thats not you ) :E :E

Yay! Not me! Hahhaha.

Anyway, Pendragon and Badger... you guys both PM me with a number in between 1 and 10... and I'll post the winner, okay? Seems fair, right? Hehe.

Always looking for talented mappers for mbp :E

http://www.mind-body-power.net

In terms of mapping, the mbp maps will be extremely big, with various outdoor settings. I don't think I need to go into MBP in general that much, because well... it's all on the site, and you'll either want to do huge maps or you'll cringe at the thought of it :LOL:

Anywho, if you're interested, gimme a pm on this site or on the mbp forums, or email me at [email protected] . If you do want a bit more information about mbp, I'll certainly provide it!

-Rad

Cool, Rad. Maybe I'll try it out. I'm just gonna finish a few HL1 maps before I start in HL2 (seeing as how it may never come out... maybe it doesn't even exist? :rolling: )

Just keep me in contact and give me ideas or somethin', and I'll start somethin'.

Oh, by the way, sorry KrazyKlown, I completely forgot to respond... but anywho your mod looks interesting to, so just keep me in contact.

Mappers are kinda the last guys to get when developing a mod, I think, cuz you have a to have a solid story line, concept, and code down before we can do anything, really. But just keep me posted... PM me or whatever. Whoo.

Wow, that was awesome. The number I picked was 7 for the person to host my map.

Pendragon picked a very close 6.

But ComradeBadger was right on with 7.

Yay. That was fun.

Hehehe. The map isn't done yet. But if its easier maybe I will. :)

But can I ask why you guys are so eager to help me out here?

Okay, here I go.

Why are you guys so eager to help me out here?

:E

Sorry, this "friendly people on a forum" deal is relatively new to me. :rolling: You guys are the bestest ever. Whee.

I've gotta work on that damn thing now.

Cheers. :cheers:

check out #HLmedieval on IRC.Quakenet.net, we're looking for mappers

i can host your work

That "original counterstrike fy map" is done, if you want to download it or look at pics, view this thread.

Big thanks to ComradeBadger for hosting it. And Pendragon for offering.

Back