Amd athlon V.S Intel Pentium D (both dual core)

S

sirpie555

I am going to upgrade my computer and have been looking around alot,

So my question is what is better out of these...

* Intel Pentium D CPU 805 2.66GHz 2X1MB 533MHz FSB LGA775 Dual Core

or

*Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHz 1.06GHz FSB 4MB LGA 775 Dual Core

or the

*AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 2000FSB 2X512KB

I am not worried about the price , i just want to know whats better, or if you guys have know of any cpu's that are better than these ( for a resonable price ) post them there

In order of best to worse

Core 2 Duo E6600
Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Pentium D 805 2.66GHz

There ya go.

Is it better to run a single core CPU or a dual core CPU? Because I heard most games don't support multi-core CPU's.

It depends and what you do with it. But take a note: Where we're headed is dual.
In most cases dual is little overkill, if you're only going to use 50% of dual-core benefit.

Edit: I forgot it was (Two part) question. Sorry.

Most games have no problem with dual, unless you're playing and editing video, or McAfee or Window's defender is scanning. Meaning having two App. running at the same time, and one of the apps happen to be the game.
Nothing is wrong with dual-core there, it's the game disliking other apps. running beside it. I would call this as a glitch of the game. I heard Q4 hated dual core....Confirm please.

Asus's list is how it is "So there you go".

Good Luck.

Hey thanks Asus, i might get the core 2 duo E6600 now, is there another cpu that is better for around the same price or even a little bit more?...

i am interested in the answer for hool10's question..

Edit: oh ok thanks Barney fife

also what is a good motherboard for that cpu ( that can be overclocked )

Thats a pretty open question. And I'd have to say the Dual Core CPU is better obviously because it has 2 cores instead of one.

If you only have 1 thing running at a time you are not going to see much benefit to having dual core since only 1 core will be used mostly (besides background windows apps and multithreaded optimized games/gfx drivers). In this case a Dual Core might be considered luxury or overkill. Depends on your view. ;)

On the other hand if you run 2 main programs, that would slow performance down on a single core cpu since the 1 core is going to split half it's time on one program (playing a game?) and half it's time on the other (encoding a video?). Obviously in that case a dual core CPU could do the same performance with 2 programs that the single core CPU could only do with 1.
Dual Core CPUs do cost a little more than single core CPUs but they are getting pretty cheap now so if you are buying new why wouldn't you pick one up?

What about a good motherboard for the Core 2 Duo E6600, that would overclock good.....

What about a good motherboard for the Core 2 Duo E6600, that would overclock good.....

Wow! Now that is the “One million dollar question” you asked there”.
This question’s answer is still up in the air; since there aren’t MB specifically designed for Core 2 duo CPUs, you must settle for the usual already existing socket 775 MB. But they don’t OC well and stable with Conroe’s high OC-ability. Asus’s P5B with the latest BIOS is the only MB reaching that high Ocing in stable.
I’m currently advising people to wait, till MBs catch up with Conroe.
But do your search and find what’s out there.

Good Luck.

ok thanks for all your help, if there are any more suggetstions, please post them here

um ok i need some more help please :) could one of you guys tell me what the cheapest MB is that is compatible with the E6600 dual core

Cheapest? Look for one from Asrock. Though they can't overclock well (barely at all).

Oh ok thanks, i think i will just stick with a Asus that i am getting

Yet another question....

whats better ouf of the

*Geforce 6600 256MB DDR, PCI-E

or the

*Geforce 7300 gs PCI express Graphics card. New, still in box. 256mb (Supporting 512mb).

7300GS is just bawls.

The GeForce 6600 models seem to be bloody good, something about that number lol

Hey again..... whats better out of these?

*PixelView 7300LE 256MBDDR PCI-E card

or

*ASUS Extreme N6600GT, 128MB DDR3, Sli Ready - PCI-Express

or

*Legend Geforce 6600 , 256mb - PCI-Express

Thanks Heaps :)

Whats is the cheapest Motherboard for the intel core 2 duo that supports SLI tech

None?
Nvidia has not made a chipset for Core 2 Duo yet.
Just Crossfire so far (ATI cards).

I dont care about SLI anymore, but thanks...

I one more question.... whats better..

*Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB PCI Express

or

*ATI built Radeon X800 XL, 256MB, full 16 pipelines

or

* Asus Extreme N6600GT

or the

*ATI RADEON X800GTO 256BIT
thanks

is $131.975 USD cheap for a x800 xl (16 pipelines)? i might buy this ( its brand new )

Sounds like a good deal. Make sure it's the PCI-express one though, not the AGP version.

Yea i just bought it then... its a PCI-E card so it will fit the motherboard i am getting, plus its got a warrenty :) ...

so i got a good deal :D

Back